Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 09:01 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Lol,the former PR super in my building just retired…….to Orlando !
Really, That's funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 09:19 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
That place has been always under developed since the Dutch arrived. It was so bushy not even the Spanish or Portuguese wanted to colonize the area but they all knew the area was rich of gold and diamonds which is deep within the amazon of the Guianas. British, Dutch and French traded hands over an area that was nothing more than rain forest and bush. It was so bad that plenty of people died due to its environment. hell even slavery was not in huge numbers in Guyana. British did a poor job of developing Guyana, the only benefit of Guyana at the time of the British Empire was higher wages which enticed people to move there like Barbadians and some Indians.

What happened with Guyana was that its politicians embraced Marxism and the ideals of the Cuban Revolution. Britain and America bickered over Guyana's independence fearing it will become another Cuba which it did to some extent. Blacks and Indians chased out the British and ethnic Portuguese out of the country. When they were done with the whites, they turned on each other and the Indians lost and the blacks oppressed the Indians. The Natives lived deep in the rain forest and were not bothered. Like Cuba, Guyana improved literacy rates of the country, and was also self sufficient did not depend on outside trade except for weaponry. However the damage has been done thanks to politicians for not allowing a free market system and people started to leave during the 70s, and 80s.

With the return of Democracy and Capitalism in the 90s the plight for many Guyanese did not improve but got only worse. People complain about income inequality in NYC and other parts of America, inequality is worse in Guyana many people have to survive on 2 U.S dollars a day. HIV/Aids epidemic ravaged Guyana and still does to this day. Even if you get sick in Guyana, either you go to neighboring Brazil for treatment, fly to Communist Cuba via friendship program, fly to nearby Trinidad or fly to America or Canada. Like NYC if you have money in Guyana you are good, if you don't you are screwed and saving a years salary for a visa to come to America only makes it more worse.

Actually I don't think the Guyana should exist anymore and should be abandoned. Since its people are not culturally Latin or South American except for the native populace. The Blacks and Indians should move to Anglophone Caribbean countries and or Cuba. Guyana western half should be returned to Venezuela while the Eastern half can be divided up by Brazil and Suriname. Eastern half will give Brazil direct access to the North Atlantic shipping markets. But then again that is a different topic for a different thread. But yes Georgetown is below sealevel. In matter of fact what does Georgetown, NYC and Amsterdam all have in common? Sea level issues. Thank the Dutch for that. And yes Guyana is mainly uninhabited. 90% of the country lives along the coast. The only people in the rain forest are either drug traffickers, gold miners, criminals, Natives, Brazilians, Vacaeiros aka ranchers and eco tourist. Sounds a lot like the American Wild West! But again this topic is for a different thread.

As for Puerto Rico decline, I don't blame Puerto Rico for that, but I do blame mainland politics, 2008 recession and the rise of income inequality for Puerto Rico decline. Puerto Rico needs some internal reforming, but also a path to state hood might help improve the situation on the island, or may make it worse, who knows?
Nice stuff. I guess Guyanese are very honest. Never heard someone or people say that their country should be abandoned.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:34 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,699,840 times
Quote:
That place has been always under developed since the Dutch arrived. It was so bushy not even the Spanish or Portuguese wanted to colonize the area but they all knew the area was rich of gold and diamonds which is deep within the amazon of the Guianas. British, Dutch and French traded hands over an area that was nothing more than rain forest and bush. It was so bad that plenty of people died due to its environment. hell even slavery was not in huge numbers in Guyana. British did a poor job of developing Guyana, the only benefit of Guyana at the time of the British Empire was higher wages which enticed people to move there like Barbadians and some Indians.

What happened with Guyana was that its politicians embraced Marxism and the ideals of the Cuban Revolution. Britain and America bickered over Guyana's independence fearing it will become another Cuba which it did to some extent. Blacks and Indians chased out the British and ethnic Portuguese out of the country. When they were done with the whites, they turned on each other and the Indians lost and the blacks oppressed the Indians. The Natives lived deep in the rain forest and were not bothered. Like Cuba, Guyana improved literacy rates of the country, and was also self sufficient did not depend on outside trade except for weaponry. However the damage has been done thanks to politicians for not allowing a free market system and people started to leave during the 70s, and 80s.

With the return of Democracy and Capitalism in the 90s the plight for many Guyanese did not improve but got only worse. People complain about income inequality in NYC and other parts of America, inequality is worse in Guyana many people have to survive on 2 U.S dollars a day. HIV/Aids epidemic ravaged Guyana and still does to this day. Even if you get sick in Guyana, either you go to neighboring Brazil for treatment, fly to Communist Cuba via friendship program, fly to nearby Trinidad or fly to America or Canada. Like NYC if you have money in Guyana you are good, if you don't you are screwed and saving a years salary for a visa to come to America only makes it more worse.

Actually I don't think the Guyana should exist anymore and should be abandoned. Since its people are not culturally Latin or South American except for the native populace. The Blacks and Indians should move to Anglophone Caribbean countries and or Cuba. Guyana western half should be returned to Venezuela while the Eastern half can be divided up by Brazil and Suriname. Eastern half will give Brazil direct access to the North Atlantic shipping markets. But then again that is a different topic for a different thread. But yes Georgetown is below sealevel. In matter of fact what does Georgetown, NYC and Amsterdam all have in common? Sea level issues. Thank the Dutch for that. And yes Guyana is mainly uninhabited. 90% of the country lives along the coast. The only people in the rain forest are either drug traffickers, gold miners, criminals, Natives, Brazilians, Vacaeiros aka ranchers and eco tourist. Sounds a lot like the American Wild West! But again this topic is for a different thread.

As for Puerto Rico decline, I don't blame Puerto Rico for that, but I do blame mainland politics, 2008 recession and the rise of income inequality for Puerto Rico decline. Puerto Rico needs some internal reforming, but also a path to state hood might help improve the situation on the island, or may make it worse, who knows?
This is interesting because I even heard talks of Guyana becoming a US state.

Being that there are more Guyanese in the US than in Guyana this could be a possibility.

GuyanaUSA--STATEHOOD ISSUES

But there is so much space and land that could be developed in Guyana.

Its very hard to believe most Guyanese don't want to stay there.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:06 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
This is interesting because I even heard talks of Guyana becoming a US state.

Being that there are more Guyanese in the US than in Guyana this could be a possibility.

GuyanaUSA--STATEHOOD ISSUES

But there is so much space and land that could be developed in Guyana.

Its very hard to believe most Guyanese don't want to stay there.
I don't think Guyana will become a state. The matter has not be taken up by Congress, which is the only way it can become a state.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:15 AM

I just read a article predicting Guyana and Haiti to have the largest growth for 2014. Maybe the Guyanese do not have to leave and can develop the land in the future.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:23 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
I just read a article predicting Guyana and Haiti to have the largest growth for 2014. Maybe the Guyanese do not have to leave and can develop the land in the future.
God gold and cocaine are the money makers in Guyanese economy. Guyana does have positive growth thanks to gold. I highly doubt Guyana will have the highest growth without its brightwst minds. Guyana is usually a dumping ground for both Latin America and the anglo Caribbean. Guyana can never get better with masses going America, Barbados, Canada, Brazil, Trinidad for better life and Cuba for studies.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:34 AM

To think of it I would like to go to Guyana and open up a brothel full of hot Brazilian, Venezuelan and Colombian women.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
God gold and cocaine are the money makers in Guyanese economy. Guyana does have positive growth thanks to gold. I highly doubt Guyana will have the highest growth without its brightwst minds. Guyana is usually a dumping ground for both Latin America and the anglo Caribbean. Guyana can never get better with masses going America, Barbados, Canada, Brazil, Trinidad for better life and Cuba for studies.
Is Barbados overpopulated since Guyanese go there a lot because I hear it's a very small island.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:04 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
To think of it I would like to go to Guyana and open up a brothel full of hot Brazilian, Venezuelan and Colombian women.
And have them make $2 a screw? If Guyana is as broke as you say why would these women move to Guyana to be hookers?

Old 02-09-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And have them make $2 a screw? If uuyana is you say why would these women move to Guyana to be hookers?
Dude i was in guyana a couple of years back and i saw what i witnessed Colombian, Venezuelan and Dominican probably smuggled in from Venezuela. I dont understand why these women are there, maybe for gold or to traffic Cocaine. In matter of fact I met one Dominican women down there and we spoke at Washington Heights and the Bronx. In matter of fact she thought I was Dominnican. I asked her in Spanish with make shift Dominican accent while in Georgetown. Cuanta cuesta circa de el mundo? She laughed and she said in Spanish nothing goes up her culo. She was blanquita too. However plenty of smuggling and trafficking goes on there. She said she was in Guyana to learn English. Lol. And 2 dollars a screw. Nah not like that. A screw is about 16,000 guyanese dollars. That is about 80 dollars U. S. That's top quality down there.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 02-09-2014 at 12:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City