Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 07:33 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,759,589 times

Advertisements

CVS rewards/coupons are amazing too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 09:26 PM

19 posts, read 103,651 times
Default F*ck cvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHARMDRX View Post
hi Guys,

wanted to run a quick survey and see what many of you prefer when it comes to pharmacies. Do you guys like to go to a mom-pop pharmacy or do you like to go to a retail big chain like CVS, Rite Aid, or Walgreens ? Also, do any of you live in a neighborhood where you feel a mom-pop pharmacy would be a benefit to the community? Thanks in advance!
Stay away from cvs if u hate to be forced to use self checkout. I've worked checkout as a teenager so I'm familiar with differnt type of point of sale machines. But these machines by far are not easy to use, freeze up, charge credit cards multiple time, tell u weight of item is invalid,CVS in a money saving,job eliminating move forces even elderly to try t navigate these awful things. Only thing good about cvs is many are 24/7 and they'll soon stop,selling tobacco products.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:40 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,652,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateO View Post
Stay away from cvs if u hate to be forced to use self checkout. I've worked checkout as a teenager so I'm familiar with differnt type of point of sale machines. But these machines by far are not easy to use, freeze up, charge credit cards multiple time, tell u weight of item is invalid,CVS in a money saving,job eliminating move forces even elderly to try t navigate these awful things. Only thing good about cvs is many are 24/7 and they'll soon stop,selling tobacco products.
Love the CVS self checkout machines, one the main reasons I choose it over rite aid or walgreens. No wasting your time for some annoying old lady fumbling for coupons and then arguing that the bottle of shampoo is 12 cents more than it says in the STF.U!! Self serve, go in, go out, technologically challenged don't go anywhere near you, totally AWESOME

And also now that CVS has abandoned cigarette sales, they're going to be picking up a lot more socially conscious customers

Old 02-10-2014, 07:35 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,189,941 times
Don't have a preference. I don't have regular meds so I often just go wherever it's convenient when I have to get a prescribed medicine. When I buy OTC stuff I usually go to a big retailer because frankly they tend to be cheaper or have more sales.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:10 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,891,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLove View Post
RiteAid should go out of business but Duane Reade and CVS are wonderful
I've never noticed a big difference between CVS, RiteAid, Duane Reade or Walgreen. The only significant difference in my city is that CVS has 24/7 pharmacy, whereas RiteAid's pharmacy shuts down at 10 p.m. (even though the rest of the RiteAid store is 24/7).

Old 02-11-2014, 04:23 AM

343 posts, read 1,090,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
I've never noticed a big difference between CVS, RiteAid, Duane Reade or Walgreen. The only significant difference in my city is that CVS has 24/7 pharmacy, whereas RiteAid's pharmacy shuts down at 10 p.m. (even though the rest of the RiteAid store is 24/7).
As of late, there's no difference btwn Walgreens & DuaneReade because Walgreens purchased DuaneReade & now DuaneReade has super cheap prices like Walgreens. CVS > RiteAid because CVS keeps up with the times much faster, like being the only pharmacy with self-checkout kiosks. RiteAid is very outdated and never has good prices on anything. All RiteAids I've ever been to are awful, checkout takes a year & they don't give any good coupons with their "rewards" program. The only good thing abt it is the one by my house has Texas Toast sometimes, which is basically unheard of in NYC lol

Old 02-11-2014, 06:11 AM

4,169 posts, read 4,039,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLove View Post
As of late, there's no difference btwn Walgreens & DuaneReade because Walgreens purchased DuaneReade & now DuaneReade has super cheap prices like Walgreens. CVS > RiteAid because CVS keeps up with the times much faster, like being the only pharmacy with self-checkout kiosks. RiteAid is very outdated and never has good prices on anything. All RiteAids I've ever been to are awful, checkout takes a year & they don't give any good coupons with their "rewards" program. The only good thing abt it is the one by my house has Texas Toast sometimes, which is basically unheard of in NYC lol
Rite-Aid has a great rewards program if you use them a lot. I get 10% off EVERY purchase every day because I spent a certain amount in their stores last year. No coupons needed, they just deduct 10% off every purchase.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:05 AM

393 posts, read 780,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Love the CVS self checkout machines, one the main reasons I choose it over rite aid or walgreens. No wasting your time for some annoying old lady fumbling for coupons and then arguing that the bottle of shampoo is 12 cents more than it says in the STF.U!! Self serve, go in, go out, technologically challenged don't go anywhere near you, totally AWESOME

And also now that CVS has abandoned cigarette sales, they're going to be picking up a lot more socially conscious customers
I don't know...would people really switch to shopping at CVS because they don't sell cigarettes even if they like the idea? I think prices/convenience are the driving force there. I'll go out of my way to shop at a grocery store that offers more all-natural products, but as far as places that sell the same stuff and provide the same level of customer service..I don't care what their philosophy is, I'm going with cheapest/most convenient location.

I've been using Duane Reade for my prescriptions...really rude, condescending pharmacists and long wait times, always. Last time I went, they refused to fill an insignificant prescription on a really stupid technicality and treated me like a moron when I asked legitimate questions. I went to a mom-and-pop shop down the street just to see, and I got my prescription filled, minimum wait time, incredible customer service and pleasant, personal conversation. Maybe they don't carry everything, but I'm going back next time I need anything filled.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:13 AM

15,794 posts, read 14,402,286 times
I prefer the chains.

When I first moved to NYC (late '80s) there were no chains. I had a hard time getting a prescription filled after 6:00 PM on a weekday, or at all on a weekend (Sunday? Fuggetdaboudit.) There was one 24 hour pharmacy in all of Manhattan. It was also hard to find any that took insurance. Then the chains came in, and things just got a lot easier. The had good hours, eventually going to 24 hours, and they had no problem taking insurance. A lot of the locals shut down or got bought out. And, as far as I'm concerned, they're not missed.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:56 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,987,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateO View Post

I just refuse to use a self check out and stand at the register until someone rings it up. For Scripts I use Target because they have some medicine that is $3 or $5 for 30 days as long as you don't use insurance which is higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: