Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 12:04 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,316 times

Advertisements

I don't have any scripts so I'll go wherever's most convenient. I haven't systematically comparison-shopped, but generic OTC drugs seem to cost about the same everywhere if you buy the biggest bottles.

I like the idea of independent pharmacies, but as some other posters have noted, there's a strange glut of them in some areas of the city. One main drag in my neighborhood, in particular, consists of almost nothing but pharmacies and laundromats. Most of these are pretty unappealing and close too early. I don't understand the economics of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 12:37 PM

343 posts, read 1,092,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Rite-Aid has a great rewards program if you use them a lot. I get 10% off EVERY purchase every day because I spent a certain amount in their stores last year. No coupons needed, they just deduct 10% off every purchase.
10% is basically just the tax tho thats nothing. CVS has $5 off or 20% off coupons.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:53 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,084,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLove View Post
10% is basically just the tax tho thats nothing. CVS has $5 off or 20% off coupons.
I've gotten the CVS 20% off coupons, maybe every three months. They have an expiration date and sometimes they are only good for a specific week. If I don't need to buy anything that week, the coupon is useless. I'm getting much better value at Rite-Aid getting 10% off every purchase, every day, no coupons needed.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:56 PM

343 posts, read 1,092,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I've gotten the CVS 20% off coupons, maybe every three months. They have an expiration date and sometimes they are only good for a specific week. If I don't need to buy anything that week, the coupon is useless. I'm getting much better value at Rite-Aid getting 10% off every purchase, every day, no coupons needed.
who shops at drug stores everyday tho? i dont run out of anything that often. i guess i'm low maintenance

Old 02-11-2014, 04:07 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,084,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLove View Post
who shops at drug stores everyday tho? i dont run out of anything that often. i guess i'm low maintenance
I love how people take everything written on the internet literally. By "every day" I meant "any day". OK?

Old 02-11-2014, 04:25 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
I don't have any scripts so I'll go wherever's most convenient. I haven't systematically comparison-shopped, but generic OTC drugs seem to cost about the same everywhere if you buy the biggest bottles.

I like the idea of independent pharmacies, but as some other posters have noted, there's a strange glut of them in some areas of the city. One main drag in my neighborhood, in particular, consists of almost nothing but pharmacies and laundromats. Most of these are pretty unappealing and close too early. I don't understand the economics of this.
Neighborhoods that have a glut of pharmacies must all,like my neighborhood,have a high percentage of old people.

The weird thing is that I have this glut of pharmacies in my neighborhood but my insurance company makes me get any drugs by mail order.Don't know what these places are all going to do when everyone has to get all but emergency drugs via mail order.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:41 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I prefer the chains.

When I first moved to NYC (late '80s) there were no chains. I had a hard time getting a prescription filled after 6:00 PM on a weekday, or at all on a weekend (Sunday? Fuggetdaboudit.) There was one 24 hour pharmacy in all of Manhattan. It was also hard to find any that took insurance. Then the chains came in, and things just got a lot easier. The had good hours, eventually going to 24 hours, and they had no problem taking insurance. A lot of the locals shut down or got bought out. And, as far as I'm concerned, they're not missed.
Agreed.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:42 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateO View Post
Stay away from cvs if u hate to be forced to use self checkout. I've worked checkout as a teenager so I'm familiar with differnt type of point of sale machines. But these machines by far are not easy to use, freeze up, charge credit cards multiple time, tell u weight of item is invalid,CVS in a money saving,job eliminating move forces even elderly to try t navigate these awful things. Only thing good about cvs is many are 24/7 and they'll soon stop,selling tobacco products.
I love self checkout machine and generally don't have problems with them! If there was ever a problem with what it charged my credit card, it prints out the receipt and I'd call someone over and fix it on the spot. Many stores use self check out these days (Home Depot sure does).

Old 02-11-2014, 05:50 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
It's sort of counterintuitive in a the Manhattan-centric universe. NYers are supposed to like quirky, independent stores. The problem here is that these turned out to be useless. There was one near my old apartment, Leo Laskoff. Very quaint. Very picturesque. Very overpriced. Completely useless. It just closed recently.

This in the conundrum of chain stores (in general, not just drug store.) Many NYers hate them, because, well, they're the same as everywhere else in the country, and we just can't have than in NYC. But the dirty secret is that they often work better than the local indies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Agreed.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:54 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Although my favorite drugstore is CVS, har better than any crapppy mom and pop, my insurance company made my decision for me by declaring RITE-AID the only "preferred" pharmacy in New York City (Walnart, Kroger's and somebody else NOT in NYC as well.)

This mean $5 for month off each month's Rx so a generic Tier 1 drug for 90 days supply is $21 in a network pharmacy but only $6 at Rite-Aid.

You cannot fight City Hall...or Blue Cross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: