U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 08:40 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,654,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Your friend is a BOAT HORN. The kind they use to notify you of half time on the soccer field. THEY ARE LOUD. I've had troubles before and the only way to cure it is make it just as annoying for your neighbor as it is for you. That is if management doesn't help you out.

Sometimes if I woke up early I'd buzz their intercom buzzer like mad then walk away.

Hey sometimes you need to get just as ugly or else people won't give a damn.

Sorry. Hope it works out for you.
Instead of ringing the buzzer like mad I'd just put a piece of tape over the buzzer holding it down and then walk away! Then they'd have to get up and take the tape off every single time instead of just being annoyed. That's only if you want to be especially devious though! ^_^

Old 02-11-2014, 08:47 AM

706 posts, read 794,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVDY GVGV View Post
Maybe they're having sex. Leave them alone.
Rough sex???

Old 02-11-2014, 09:00 AM

2,006 posts, read 2,016,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
Instead of ringing the buzzer like mad I'd just put a piece of tape over the buzzer holding it down and then walk away!
I like the way you think !

Old 02-11-2014, 09:28 AM

2,898 posts, read 4,810,553 times
Now if you really wanna be a d*ck, you can always break a key in their cylinder door lock.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:31 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,030,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

You will have to figure out a way to torture them, it is the only solution.
I totally co-sign on this. I feel some neighbors intentionally seek out a way to be annoying. I would record whatever noise I encounter. So if it gets worse, and I have to prove my case to the landlord, I have the burden of proof on my side.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:04 PM

55 posts, read 101,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
Instead of ringing the buzzer like mad I'd just put a piece of tape over the buzzer holding it down and then walk away! Then they'd have to get up and take the tape off every single time instead of just being annoyed. That's only if you want to be especially devious though! ^_^
I like the taped bell idea, unfortunately their door is right next to mine so obviously they would know if I left and came back or even when leaving the apt. ANd, also they would know because of the incident. They seem to be unstable since they started cracked the door over this. Also, it's a condo apartment and I had spoken about the noise to the owner and he did tell me that I can move out and at that time I didn't even know where the noise was coming from and apparently he doesn't want to be bothered. I would like to move but this is NYC apartment are so hard to find, definitely trying though.

I am just keeping it quiet and not reacting to these people when they are making noise against the wall, but it's hard to record because they make noise for seconds and it's unpredictable and this morning I heard loud bangs at 7:00AM and in the afternoon and just throughout the day. If they make noise late night, I do want to call the cops because these people are plain psychos but I need to play this smart. I have started to play metal music for an hour or so against the wall from my laptop but don't think laptop is very loud. I wish I knew someone who was aggressive enough to threaten them. Psychotic people are hard to deal with..

Old 02-12-2014, 09:08 PM

3,246 posts, read 4,033,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimss View Post
I wish I knew someone who was aggressive enough to threaten them.
Surprised that you haven't been PMed by some of the resident psychos here ...

Old 02-12-2014, 11:47 PM

898 posts, read 738,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimss View Post
I wish I knew someone who was aggressive enough to threaten them.
You do. Or did. The cops. A uniformed cop is an aggressive sight.

Instead of asking for the neighbors to be arrested, you need only have asked the cops to please have a talk with them.

The next time they're noisy, phone in a noise complaint to the cops.

1. Do NOT call 911. Call one of the police's non-emergency numbers. They may even have a number for noise complaints.

2. It's best to call after 11 p.m. -- even better if after midnight, on a weeknight. People have a legal right to create a certain amount noise during the day. Less so late at night. I don't now how seriously NYPD takes noise complaints (probably more seriously after midnight), but it IS part of their job.

3. You can also sue in small claims court. If so, keep a record of all the noise they make. Date, time, etc. Try and record it. Have a witness, if possible. Keep records of any letters of complaint you send to the neighbors, landlord, police. Get records of every police visit. Present this as evidence in small claims court. Sue for whatever amount you think is fair for your diminished enjoyment of the place due to the noise. In the end, the judge will decide what's fair.

If you win, it'll be for the noise up to that point. If they continue with the noise, you can sue again for the additional loss of enjoyment.

Naturally, if you harass them in return, and they can prove it, that will hurt you in court. They might even countersue for their diminished enjoyment.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:35 AM

19,026 posts, read 25,249,029 times
If you don't get the police involved you will be stuck for the cost of replacing the door...and they don't come cheap.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:46 PM

55 posts, read 101,834 times
The police doesn't do much actually, they refused to intervene when there was upstairs neighbor who purposely banged the floor and made so much noise even during the night . The police basically said, "we can only ask them to turn down the music, nothing we can do about this." And, that was the reason for the move, and now this, I didn't call the cops because I didn't know how much they would help in the first place and I had called the local precinct to report the incident and they said, these people can be arrested if I saw them banging the door and that would be through the official report. And, plus due to previous police experience and not wanting to start anything, I just didn't file any report.

But, I want to thank some of you, who gave me a great feedback, in terms of finding a way to torture these people. I frankly do the same thing they do now. I just bang the floor hard, and I did that last night, and I heard them scream and then they started banging the walls. I just don't respond back when they are making the noise but I just do make noise at other random time. I think, they subsided in terms of banging,slamming, etc but not stopped. Apparently, they seem to get the message. I don't know if they are going to stop all together or what. And, no idea why have they been doing this to begin with. I do want to call the cops if they start banging the door again, I am just so stressed to deal with the cops and psychotic neighbors, apparently it's the same precinct as the old neighborhood one and I am single person living here so only so much I can do..I was feeling so bad on the day of incident considering previous neighbor and police history. I just don't know how to deal with psychotic people.

Last edited by kimss; 02-13-2014 at 08:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City