U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 11:50 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,872,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimss View Post
Hey, I have tried the suggestions that others offered in terms of torturing them, as I said, I also bang the floor and which made them react, and it's apparently affected them. And, I said, I do play music off my laptop, etc. And, like I said, I am calling the cops again if they bang the door again, and if I press charges then I have to file an official report, which goes into police record, etc. Not sure, I want to be in police's database.

I just replied to others, and not whining, etc. Obviously, I am not going to break laws and get a bat and fight obviously.

And, yes complaining as it's a complaint forum, no need to be rude. You don't need to read and reply if it annoys you. And, I am not trying to get sympathy but other's opinion as I don't want to make the problem worse. Thank you!
Maybe if you were hot and I was single I would have taken care of this issue for you. But since that won't happen you should consider your options.
I know what it's like to live below inconsiderate neighbors. I hated it and had to say something to the guy a few times before he got the message. Eventually he moved out. Unfortunately someone worse moved in. At that point I was fed up and moved to another apartment. It was a lot better and got piece and quite. That might be your safest bet. Good luck.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:01 AM

55 posts, read 104,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Maybe if you were hot and I was single I would have taken care of this issue for you. But since that won't happen you should consider your options.
I know what it's like to live below inconsiderate neighbors. I hated it and had to say something to the guy a few times before he got the message. Eventually he moved out. Unfortunately someone worse moved in. At that point I was fed up and moved to another apartment. It was a lot better and got piece and quite. That might be your safest bet. Good luck.
HAH, apparently, you weren't "tough" enough to solve your own issue. And, I don't live below, it's the next door neighbors. You should have tried your bat suggestion with the "worse" neighbor yourself. lol

Old 02-15-2014, 12:07 AM

10,496 posts, read 20,549,952 times
Quote:
So I moved here in the apartment 3 months ago and I notice there was constant banging/loud thuds coming from somewhere. I thought it was upstairs people, as they would slam the toilet and play some drum music. I wasn't sure as the floors would vibrate and seemed like downstairs neighbors might be hitting the ceiling, it was so confusing. And, the noise was always from in the closet/shared walls constant. I had left a really nice two line notes to next door neighbors in case the noise was from them. So yesterday, I finally figured it out, it's next door neighbors banging/slamming furniture against the shared walls, so I knocked on the wall couple of times, and then they started banging loudly and then it was like 12:15AM and they started banging my main door so loudly, I was shocked, and then I noticed there was a crack in the door.

And, I live alone single girl, they apparently felt at advantage to be banging the door loudly in the middle of night at 12:15AM...This is a condo apt, and I am renting. I had spoken to the condo owner about the noise, as I first thought it was upstairs people. Because the next door neighbors seemed friendly so I thought, Asian people, saw an old guy, and some other guy... I called the police about the cracked door to just get their opinion. They said, the neighbors can be arrested, etc. And, since I didn't want to start problems, and I said, I would see how the situation folds. What should I do?
Obviously it was wrong/illegal of them to damage your door. But it's really hard for me to tell from the rest of the post who is in the wrong here (besides that incident). People tend not to react well when a neighbor bangs the wall/floor/ceiling on purpose. Perhaps they were just going about living their life, making normal apartment noise (or what they believe to be normal), and then they heard you deliberately banging on their wall. I really can't evaluate since I'm not in your shoes, but I did want to present this as a possibility.

Once I had a neighbor who used to bang on her ceiling (my floor) when I so much as walked around in socks after midnight, and even one time when I dropped a pencil on a wooden floor. I can tell you that the banging that she made when I made normal living noises really angered me. I suspect that if she were posting on this forum, she would have complained that I was "stomping" and "dropping loud objects on the floor" but this would have just been her perspective as someone hyper sensitive to noise.

Also right now there are a couple of young women living next to me. Occasionally they do like to have friends over, almost always at a reasonable hour, and they are a bit noisy. I don't mind this type of noise and have never complained. However, the woman who lives below them is a crazy person and she bangs on her walls, ceiling, whatever, every time these girls have friends over. I am actually much more annoyed by her banging, which I can hear too, than the sound of happy people having a dinner party.

Just trying to give you another perspective. Please don't get defensive, as this post is not intended to offend.

Last edited by Henna; 02-15-2014 at 12:32 AM..

Old 02-15-2014, 12:10 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,872,546 times
Quote:
HAH, apparently, you weren't "tough" enough to solve your own issue. And, I don't live below, it's the next door neighbors. You should have tried your bat suggestion with the "worse" neighbor yourself. lol
Wrong. I got through the first one. I didn't get through the 2nd one. Don't start comparing my situation to your your failure. I was successful straightening out the 1st knuckle head.
By the time the second one came around it was only short lived. It was a single nut case girl that used to fight with her boyfriend when he stayed for the night. I kinda felt bad for her because she cried a lot at night. I wasn't going to be a d**k and go up there and harass her for crying. She was there for a couple of months before I moved out to a bigger apartment with my GF at the time.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:22 AM

962 posts, read 791,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
It was a lot better and got piece and quite.
I know one shouldn't correct on the internet, as spellings are commonplace. But this is just too much.

It's "peace and quiet" not "piece and quite."

Old 02-15-2014, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Obviously it was wrong/illegal of them to damage your door. But it's really hard for me to tell from the rest of the post who is in the wrong here (besides that incident). People tend not to react well when a neighbor bangs the wall/floor/ceiling on purpose. Perhaps they were just going about living their life, making normal apartment noise (or what they believe to be normal), and then they heard you deliberately banging on their wall. I really can't evaluate since I'm not in your shoes, but I did want to present this as a possibility.

Once I had a neighbor who used to bang on her ceiling (my floor) when I so much as walked around in socks after midnight, and even one time when I dropped a pencil on a wooden floor. I can tell you that the banging that she made when I made normal living noises really angered me. I did not react by doing anything so crazy as damaging her door, but still.

Also right now there are a couple of young women living next to me. Occasionally they do like to have friends over, almost always at a reasonable hour, and they are a bit noisy. I don't mind this type of noise and have never complained. However, the woman who lives below them is a crazy person and she bangs on her walls, ceiling, whatever, every time these girls have friends over. I am actually much more annoyed by her banging, which I can hear too, than the sound of happy people having a dinner party.

Just trying to give you another perspective. Please don't get defensive, as this post is not intended to offend.
Not defensive at all. This has been happening since I moved in 3 months ago. It's the next door neighbors, and they slam/bang the furniture against the walls and also bang the floors which is very loud and my floor shakes. And this was happening every single day, through out the day, and, apparently, they were doing it on a purpose. First, I thought it was the upstairs people and this is not "normal" living and apparently they don't like it when I bang the floor now, I mean, if it annoys them and then why they think it's OK for them to keep doing what they doing. It's really common sense, and no normal person bangs the door and cracks it if a neighbor knocked on the wall because the guilty party was making so much noise, really, it's psychotic behavior.

Last edited by kimss; 02-15-2014 at 12:44 AM..

Old 02-15-2014, 12:43 AM

10,496 posts, read 20,549,952 times
Quote:
Not defensive at all. This has been happening since I moved in 3 months ago. It's the next door neighbors, and they slam/bang the furniture against the walls and also bang the floors which is very loud and my floor shakes. First, I thought it was the upstairs people and this is not "normal" living and apparently they don't like it when I bang the floor now, I mean, if it annoys them and then why they think it's OK for them to keep doing what they doing. It's really common sense, and no normal person bangs the door and cracks it if a neighbor knocked on the wall because the guilty party was making so much noise, really, it's psychotic behavior.
Well, I guess you didn't get my point then. We are strangers on an internet forum, so we have no idea how loud the actual noise is that they are making. We only have your version. As I mentioned, the woman who once lived below me would knock on her ceiling with a broom when I dropped a pencil or walked normally in socks after midnight. It certainly annoyed me when she did that, but I also knew 100% that my behavior, which consisted of walking softly and occasionally dropping an object by accident, was NORMAL, so of course it was ok for me to continue doing what I was doing.

I have no idea if these people are making normal or abnormal noise. All we have is your side and your side could be biased if you are overly sensitive to noise like my former downstairs neighbor was.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Well, I guess you didn't get my point then. We are strangers on an internet forum, so we have no idea how loud the actual noise is that they are making. We only have your version. As I mentioned, the woman who once lived below me would knock on her ceiling with a broom when I dropped a pencil or walked normally in socks after midnight. It certainly annoyed me when she did that, but I also knew 100% that my behavior, which consisted of walking softly and occasionally dropping an object by accident, was NORMAL, so of course it was ok for me to continue doing what I was doing.

I have no idea if these people are making normal or abnormal noise. All we have is your side and your side could be biased if you are overly sensitive to noise like my former downstairs neighbor was.

Apparently, I get your point! But, you apparently are speaking from your upstairs experience which is biased. Just like I have your version only about "dropping a pencil or walking," no idea how loud you were to the downstairs people. And, these people aren't "walking," and who bangs the walls? It's not about walking on floor and making a noise for downstairs people as apparently it was in your case. And, no idea what you are saying is true or not as you are only speaking from your side too and no one knows you either as it's the internet. I hope you get the point!

Yes, it's called "overly sensitive," when next door neighbor cracks the main door with a bat and also continues to bang the floor with a bat, apparently, it's "normal" living in your opinion. Have you thought, maybe you were bit inconsiderate when you walked on the floor.

Last edited by kimss; 02-15-2014 at 01:14 AM..

Old 02-15-2014, 02:04 PM

933 posts, read 1,152,579 times
set up a nail trap outside their door (wood boards with nails sticking up)

Old 02-15-2014, 02:30 PM

OK, I can't hit the floor by the corner now to annoy the next door freaks. The downstairs neighbors, I think, just banged the ceiling with a bat, exactly where I was standing. I don't want to cause issues for others either just to annoy one freak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City