Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:21 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
New York is not clean, Are you kidding. Maybe right in Times sq. and Upper East/Westside by the park are clean, but the rest of the city is very dirty and crimes do persist even in Manhattan.
I think London is a bit cleaner. Dublin and Berlin were very dirty. As far as crime ALL American city are far mre dangerous than any European or Canadian city. I found nothing in London that came close to making me feel unsafe. In Amsterdam I went to the red light district section that is frquented by heroin addicts. It gave me a feeling of caution but that was a about it. Dublin, Toronto, Montreal and Edinburgh all safe even in the "ethnic" areas. New York, Philly, Boston, Cleveland, Chicago, San Fran, all you have to do is walk down the wrong block and feel unsafe. San Fran at night is the worse with so many homeless and vagrants hanging around and coming up to you on Market st. So yes I agree crime is a problem in general for most American cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 07:29 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
If I had to choose? London. Cost of living is higher and there are more dreary days. But, when the sun does shine? Gorgeous.

I like the Underground better, too.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:06 PM

1 posts, read 14,580 times
I am an Asian. I lived in London 2001 - 2009. Moved to San Francisco, then I moved again to New York on June 2010.
If you are tourist and love shopping, then New York is better choice.
London is much better place then New York for living. Why?

Currently I live in Upper Manhattan (East Harlem). I work in downtown and my wife works in The Bronx.

I used to live in similar area (Barking & Lewisham) in London, but I felt it is safer than Harlem and The Bronx.
Harlem is bit better but The Bronx is scary place in the evening.
Londoners are nicer than New Yorkers.
If you walk around Harlem (along 125th), you can see almost all people spits everywhere. It is disgusting!
Some people check out rubbish bins for food (shocking!).
People crosses the street without considering the traffic.
People is shouting in the street.
Although the New York public transport is more reliable than London, but it is dirty!
Subway is less accessible for old people. Less escalator and lift.
The road traffic is the same. Congested!

If you like driving, New York is nightmare!
In New York drivers have less respect to others. They are so rude. I don't think they will pass British driving test with this attitude.
They will cut you when they see there is a little space in front of your car. It is so dangerous!
You will get horn before the traffic light is still red (turning to green).
Double parking is confusing.
Taxi can easily stop everywhere, even in the middle of the street.

Petrol, gas, and water are absolutely cheaper in New York, but mobile phone, television, and electricity are very expensive.
You don't have any choice here. It is monopolized by a few company.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:59 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabarking View Post
I am an Asian. I lived in London 2001 - 2009. Moved to San Francisco, then I moved again to New York on June 2010.
If you are tourist and love shopping, then New York is better choice.
London is much better place then New York for living. Why?

Currently I live in Upper Manhattan (East Harlem). I work in downtown and my wife works in The Bronx.

I used to live in similar area (Barking & Lewisham) in London, but I felt it is safer than Harlem and The Bronx.
Harlem is bit better but The Bronx is scary place in the evening.
Londoners are nicer than New Yorkers.
If you walk around Harlem (along 125th), you can see almost all people spits everywhere. It is disgusting!
Some people check out rubbish bins for food (shocking!).
People crosses the street without considering the traffic.
People is shouting in the street.
Although the New York public transport is more reliable than London, but it is dirty!
Subway is less accessible for old people. Less escalator and lift.
The road traffic is the same. Congested!

If you like driving, New York is nightmare!
In New York drivers have less respect to others. They are so rude. I don't think they will pass British driving test with this attitude.
They will cut you when they see there is a little space in front of your car. It is so dangerous!
You will get horn before the traffic light is still red (turning to green).
Double parking is confusing.
Taxi can easily stop everywhere, even in the middle of the street.

Petrol, gas, and water are absolutely cheaper in New York, but mobile phone, television, and electricity are very expensive.
You don't have any choice here. It is monopolized by a few company.
your comparing the good of london to the bad of new york. East harlem sucks no arguments there. And the subway being dirty has nothing to do with whats important-getting from point a to b

Old 03-15-2011, 04:27 AM

1 posts, read 14,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I think London is a bit cleaner. Dublin and Berlin were very dirty. As far as crime ALL American city are far mre dangerous than any European or Canadian city. I found nothing in London that came close to making me feel unsafe. In Amsterdam I went to the red light district section that is frquented by heroin addicts. It gave me a feeling of caution but that was a about it. Dublin, Toronto, Montreal and Edinburgh all safe even in the "ethnic" areas. New York, Philly, Boston, Cleveland, Chicago, San Fran, all you have to do is walk down the wrong block and feel unsafe. San Fran at night is the worse with so many homeless and vagrants hanging around and coming up to you on Market st. So yes I agree crime is a problem in general for most American cities.
I'm sorry but i doubt you have been to london if your saying that, i've lived in london my whole life and basically the whole of inner london is dangerous, crimes just aren't reported that much. If someone gets mugged , your not going to get your stuff back so people tend to just leave it. If you go to south london and east london i guarentee you will feel unsafe.

Believe it or not but MOST of london excluding central london and the suburbs are like this, i don't know where you went -

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeQeCfWwLUI&feature=related[/url]

and heres the type of stupidness they do, there are a load of guns in this vid -

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3Dq1x7ZqKo[/url]

Old 03-19-2011, 08:36 AM

6 posts, read 40,007 times
"I was in London twice and I felt safe almost everywhere, I would put any neighborhood other in the Bronx other then Riverdale or Pelham up against Londons worst." - Unfortunately a perception of a tourist - takes more than two visits to understand a city - you need to live there.

I have lived in NYC for 3 years, London for 4 - here is my opinion: London - fantastic city to visit, difficult city to live in. New York - also a fantastic city to visit, but also an easy city to live in. Bottom line is that your circle of friends and interests will really define your experience.

If you are going to compare aspects of living one-to-one, New York will come out on top almost every time. I found it to be cleaner, public transport is more reliable, its less expensive, the hotels are a lot better, it is convenient (a true 24 hour city), more compact (the happening places aren't spread over a large area) and the food quality and restaurant choices are much better.

As far as friendliness goes, they are both big cities, so if your not from a big city there will be some adjustment. It is also important whether you are an American or a Brit. Americans might find the impersonal vacant 'euro stare' of shopkeepers a bit off-putting while Brits may find the over-friendliness of the States a bit creepy - although in NYC, this is generally not too bad.

Peoples reactions to you will vary greatly. If your a Brit in NYC, you will be seen as being rather 'special' and you will generally get a very warm reception and people will be very inclined to engage with you. If you are an American in London people are generally indifferent as a rule (although if your from New Zealand, Australia or SA (even Canadian), people will engage you with far greater interest.

With regards to safety, I always felt much safer in NYC. There is a very real 'binge drinking' culture in the UK that you have to be aware of. Compounded by the fact that London is far less compact (more a collection of little villages), you will come across a lot more dark alleys so to speak. There is a lot (and I mean a lot) of press in the UK about the US gun culture - and you will very likely heard something said about this. But this is a bit of farce. Knife crimes in the UK are much more common and fill this void.

As far as public transport and getting around the city, there is a big difference. The Tube is the oldest subway in the world and it shows. You have to really listen closely to the many announcements on the loud speakers because there are a tremendous amount delays, construction and closed lines - this changes on almost an hourly basis. This made getting to and from work a real pain. Additionally, things in London are geographically much more spread out, so it will take you longer to get from place to place. Manhattan is based on a numbered grid, so you will be able to get your barring in minute, where london is a spider web of streets that generally never intersect at a 90 degree angle. Many people (even natives) will be very familiar with the underground schema and far less familiar with the outside street layout. Taxi culture, etiquette and the knowledge of taxi drivers is much better in London than NYC, but if your looking for a taxi late at night you will have to figure out where you are at and call for a car. London is based much more on a taxi stand system, where NYC is is much easier to flag a car.

Housing is both cities is expensive, but again in NYC you will get much higher quality for money. If your not a fan of Victorian layouts (skinny, two story homes and apartments), you will more than likely not be a fan of London accommodations. On the flip side, if your looking to share a flat with others, there will be far more options open to you - this is much more common in the UK. Be sure to confirm your place has a BT landline in place - this took me 7 months to get installed at my place.

Almost forgot, single-life :-) Really depends on whether you are straight or gay and whether you are an American or a Brit. Straight - American in London - not so great. Brit in NYC - brilliant. On whole, I'd say NYC wins this one hands-down. Gay - either city is one of the best in the world - but the edge would go to London - nationality doesn't really matter.

With all this said, it probably comes back to your social circle and interests. London defiantly has a 'cool' factor associated with it and if your in your 20's and have a high tolerance for inconvenience and expense, you would probably prefer London. If you are in your 30's and have a family (and especially if your an American), you will need to make a fortune to get the same standard of living in London, so NYC would be the better bet.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by ahtohg; 03-19-2011 at 09:09 AM..

Old 03-20-2011, 07:48 AM

769 posts, read 1,013,063 times
london is depressing

Old 04-02-2011, 06:24 PM

15 posts, read 99,508 times
london is the worlds biggest financial centre guys if u want business go there
more films are being shot there everyday
the food is improving all the time
its very historical
very pricey
worlds cultural hub (some people say its new york but only 36% of its populants are foreing and 40% of londons populants are foreign

new york
busiest city in the world
stocks are falling

this is for vixles

Old 04-03-2011, 04:56 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieh?!?!?! View Post
london is the worlds biggest financial centre guys if u want business go there
more films are being shot there everyday
the food is improving all the time
its very historical
very pricey
worlds cultural hub (some people say its new york but only 36% of its populants are foreing and 40% of londons populants are foreign

new york
busiest city in the world
stocks are falling

this is for vixles
spelling center as centre gives you away as being a homer. NYC leads over london on most list global cities list

Old 04-19-2011, 07:16 PM

15 posts, read 99,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
spelling center as centre gives you away as being a homer. NYC leads over london on most list global cities list
for your info that is how its spelt in my country!! and london is now the global financial center not new york its also a fashion capital along with paris new york
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City