U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 01:10 PM

136 posts, read 197,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I don't think they pay extra, although I found some articles about this being a contentious issue. I didn't really read it carefully but there is some info here The Politics of Curb Cuts and Driveways
This is about houses without cut curbs, and the owners build one legally, but the house is not assessed for it. For an existing house, with a cut curb, you are assessed for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 01:12 PM

10,646 posts, read 20,793,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silly_mama2002 View Post
This is about houses without cut curbs, and the owners build one legally, but the house is not assessed for it. For an existing house, with a cut curb, you are assessed for it.
This doesn't make any sense, actually. Could you point to any online resource that shows that existing curbcuts are assessed but new ones are not?

Old 02-14-2014, 01:29 PM

Default Sure

Look at your own assessment. See what it covers, primarily it is based on a market value calculation, with driveway/garage listed as an improvement. In most states, and in upstate NY, if you want to build a new garage or a new driveway, you have to apply for a permit and a new assessment will be conducted. in NYC, the building department does not speak to the tax assessment department. Your new assessment, with a new cut curb, should reflect the improvement, but it often lags significantly behind. Thats why homeowners sometimes get sticker shock in assessment reflecting their improvement 2-3 years after the fact. All cut curbs should be assessed higher, but the new ones usually lag. Driveway is an improvement, which leads to increased market value, which leads to higher assessment, which leads to higher taxes. Since my house was built with a driveway, it has always been assessed higher. I would show you my assessment, which is higher than my neighbor's, who does not have a driveway, and has a line item for external improvements (i.e. driveways). I happen to know a lot about it because my neighbor has an easement over my driveway, and i had to learn about it. Thats why i get so upset when people park on it, because i know how much its costing me per year. And i also get upset when folks here start talking about public rights. I pay federal, state, NYC employee, sales and property taxes so the public has these rights. Shouldn't i enjoy the right of public on my own driveway?

Old 02-14-2014, 01:40 PM

7,159 posts, read 5,529,188 times
Quote:
You are ignorant.
Look in the mirror, you're the one who sees nothing noteworthy about taking away public street parking in NYC for your personal and exclusive use

Old 02-14-2014, 01:46 PM

Default Seriously???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Look in the mirror, you're the one who sees nothing noteworthy about taking away public street parking in NYC for your personal and exclusive use
Please explain how am i taking away public street parking for my personal and exclusive use since i have been paying for this parking for the last 30 years. Why do you think you are entitled to use something that someone else is paying for? Who do you think pays for your privileges?

Old 02-14-2014, 01:52 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks to those for the sane responses and the wonderful idea about cones. I got some, and its working like a miracle. For the petty, odd, ignorant, over indulgent, rather crazy responses, i forgive you. You are sad and misguided, but i am sure you think you mean well.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:54 PM

7,159 posts, read 5,529,188 times
Quote:
Please explain how am i taking away public street parking for my personal and exclusive use since i have been paying for this parking for the last 30 years. Why do you think you are entitled to use something that someone else is paying for? Who do you think pays for your privileges?
I still haven't seen any evidence that you are paying for it. You're claiming that your property value is assessed at a higher number because of the curb cut, besides showing us private information what in the municipal code can you show that this is indeed true?

Your lot is private property, the sidewalk in front of it is public which you are responsible to maintain for the public, and the street in front of that is 100% public. Without that curb cut I, or anyone else with a legally registered non-commercial vehicle should be allowed park there. That cut is taking away my rights, and any rational thinking person should be able to understand why I am concerned that we as taxpayers be compensated for that.

Instead you're going on a rambling tirade about ignorance and self-entitlement. Very strange

Old 02-14-2014, 02:50 PM

1,631 posts, read 1,917,025 times
Quote:
Thanks to those for the sane responses and the wonderful idea about cones. I got some, and its working like a miracle. For the petty, odd, ignorant, over indulgent, rather crazy responses, i forgive you. You are sad and misguided, but i am sure you think you mean well.
Hope it works out for you. Like I said earlier in the thread, I'd go nuts if someone parked in my driveway.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:32 AM

3,445 posts, read 4,841,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Not a good move, in that this guy knows where you live and you do not have the same knowledge. When I read this post the saying "payback is a *****" came to mind.
I did not live where i rented the garage. And for all he knew it could have been some kids.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:39 AM

1,060 posts, read 1,576,957 times
Quote:
Huh ? Are you complaining about your neighbor who has a legal easement to your driveway ? These kind of easements exist in lots of places and existed when you bought the place so you have no legit complaint. Please explain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City