U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 08:08 AM

1,838 posts, read 1,688,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Look in the mirror, you're the one who sees nothing noteworthy about taking away public street parking in NYC for your personal and exclusive use
Parking in front of your own driveway does not deprive anyone of a parking spot. In fact it FREES UP a spot that otherwise would be taken elsewhere on the street.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 08:11 AM

7,125 posts, read 5,493,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Parking in front of your own driveway does not deprive anyone of a parking spot. In fact it FREES UP a spot that otherwise would be taken elsewhere on the street.
you have a point there! It is a reserved spot though, and those don't come cheap in NYC these days...

Park Slope Parking Space Sells for $80,000 and We Can Hardly Be Bothered to Care | The New York Observer

Old 02-16-2014, 06:55 AM

20,129 posts, read 26,407,309 times
Why beat this horse to death. It is illegal to park in front of a driveway entrance. Period.
And this applies to everyone, including the homeowner.

What's the alternative, a big neon sign on the car saying, THIS CAR BELONGS TO THE HOMEOWNER WHO OWNS THE DRIVEWAY? But then, guess what, the guy down the street could buy the same neon sign and park in YOUR private, reserved parking space.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:56 AM

1,060 posts, read 1,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Why beat this horse to death. It is illegal to park in front of a driveway entrance. Period.
And this applies to everyone, including the homeowner.

What's the alternative, a big neon sign on the car saying, THIS CAR BELONGS TO THE HOMEOWNER WHO OWNS THE DRIVEWAY? But then, guess what, the guy down the street could buy the same neon sign and park in YOUR private, reserved parking space.

You are correct and most people don't know this but if a cop sees a car parked in front of a driveway they can ticket it even if it belongs to the homeowner.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:15 PM

18,238 posts, read 11,645,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
You are correct and most people don't know this but if a cop sees a car parked in front of a driveway they can ticket it even if it belongs to the homeowner.
Can you not read? Have already cited upthread NYC's law/rules on who can part in front of "their" driveway, and private 1-2 family homeowners are not supposed to be ticketed.

If I owned a home on SI with a driveway it does not make a bit of difference if I park there or in the curb cut provided for entering same. Either way no one else is supposed to park there otherwise what would be the point of the curb cut?

NYPD/traffic enforcement can quickly and easily via hand held devices tell to who the vehicle is registered, if not they can call it in and get the same response. There are at least three townhouses with driveways in our part of the UES and have seen those homeowners "block" those spots without getting a ticket. In some cases for days at a time. Indeed due to snow causing NYC to suspend AS parking rules for what seems like months now, one car has not shifted in that time. Again there isn't one single ticket....

Old 02-16-2014, 05:21 PM

33 posts, read 57,707 times
THE HOMEOWNER CAN PARK IN THEIR DRIVEWAY- what is so hard to understand about that. It's the homeowner who is going to call the cops to ticket the car. If it is not registered to that home address a summons will be put on the car and then the owner of the home can call a private tow company and have it towed.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:43 AM

1 posts, read 874 times
Default If someone is blocking your driveway this is how it works

Simple video. It's different in every state but for New York this clip explains the process - the only question is how long it will take Queens NYPD to come and write the summons. But worth the view with respect to blocked driveway towing requirements.

[url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnvJ9SXxilc[/url]

Old 12-08-2014, 10:53 PM

7,125 posts, read 5,493,619 times
A couple of weeks ago I saw a tow truck driver stalking cars that were about to park in front of a curb cut. He was carrying a stack of blank parking summons, and he definitely was NOT a cop

Old 12-09-2014, 11:31 AM

4,542 posts, read 4,460,950 times
Folks are parking in street in front of house not in the driveway.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:24 PM

2,228 posts, read 2,946,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silly_mama2002 View Post
I just finished ranting about the schools not having any teachers around despite being open, and i feel the need to just throw this out there. Is anyone else having this problem? I live in a row house with a driveway that is very steep. When it snows, i cannot really get in there, so i pile my snow into the driveway and clear the parallel parking spot on my driveway. It is clearly marked as "NO PARKING/DRIVEWAY," and yet, every time i leave, i come home to find someone parked on my driveway. And, on top of that, when i ask them to leave, rather politely i might add, i get an earful about not being able to park inside my driveway because of snow. and usually some not very nice cursing directed my way. At which point, i do feel the need to point out, MY DRIVEWAY, MY SNOW PILE, MY PARALLEL PARKING IN FRONT OF MY DRIVEWAY, MY BUSINESS HOW I PARK HERE, not yours. My neighbor bought some red traffic cones, and i think i will do same, even though it seems a bit extreme. Any thoughts?
Everything Bugsy said. BTW sign a contract with a private tow company. They will do periodic sweeps of your driveway for illegal people parking there. If all else fails. Screwdriver in a downward spiral does a lot of damage to a Michelin tire. (Make sure your car is out of the driveway first)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City