Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 08:05 AM

31,676 posts, read 26,605,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
When I lived in chicago a few years, I noticed people put all sorts of crap (chairs, cones, crates) in the parking spots in front of their houses to reserve it. I'm glad New Yorkers dont do it because it looks like a ss, but i'm surprised no one does it.
Well am here to tell you that in Manhattan probably not, but on Staten Island and probably parts of Brooklyn and etc..., yes persons will put cones, rubbish cans, saw horses and or anything else they can find to block off their "spot" in front of their homes. Especially after it has snowed and they have dug the thing out. Trust me you value your life and or auto very cheaply if you move whatever and part, especially overnight.

As one has stated upthread, doormen and others will block off the area in front of "their" building and or hold a spot for a tenant with cones or whatever. Again same advice applies, you value your.... if you move the things and or attempt to park. Am not saying something will happen, but I certainly wouldn't sleep well...

Manhattan in general is rather an odd duck since most housing is multifamily housing (apartments), and even where there are townhouses/brownstones not everyone has a drive way. Nor can anyone in Manhattan reasonably expect to lay claim to parking in front of their "home" and that includes those living in townhouses, though some will try.

Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and Brooklyn however are another matter. Much housing there is private one to four family homes in many areas and those persons take parking in front of their property seriously.

On Staten Island where they have built vast numbers of townhouses where there used to be a single family home there just isn't often enough parking street or otherwise. Driveways (if they exist) are narrow and short. So homeowners "claim" the spot in front of their house as their own using cones, garbage cans or whatever to block the spot when the vehicle isn't parked. In parts of Rosebank, South Beach etc.. you can drive for hours trying to find a spot that isn't "blocked". Again you shouldn't even *think* about moving those cones.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 08:10 AM

8,082 posts, read 6,701,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
When I lived in Brooklyn I rented a garage. It was just off the street but very tight to get into and out. Occasionally, people would park a foot into the driveway and it took much maneuvering to get my car out.

One night some jerk in a late model Cadillac decides to visit someone on the block and parks right in my driveway. Stupidly he left his windows open. I went into my garage, retrieved a can of motor oil, opened it and tossed it into his front seat.

Should have heard the screaming and cursing when he went to drive away.
Not a good move, in that this guy knows where you live and you do not have the same knowledge. When I read this post the saying "payback is a *****" came to mind.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:21 AM

1,963 posts, read 2,695,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
We are talking about people parking on the driveway entrance no? People aren't' supposed to park there anyway because they will block the driveway. Am I missing something? As long as the owner or a resident is the one parking on the entrance I don't see the problem.
I agree. Simply put, if it is a driveway to enter my property, and only my property, if I want to park there, I will. Fortunately, I live in an area where there is plenty of street parking, but if I lived in a parking starved neighborhood, I'd protect my driveway to whatever (legal) extent that I could.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:43 AM

136 posts, read 239,558 times
Default What???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
The problem is double spots for one curb cut

Taking away parking for the public is a whole other issue and equally unfair unless there is a property tax surcharge
What are you talking about? I have one driveway, which i use. When i cannot get into it because of snow, i park on my own driveway parallel parked. What public spaces??? And yes, i pay huge property taxes for this one, single, driveway, and i should be able to use it whether i pull in or use it to parallel park. I am not taking up any other parking spaces.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:06 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,641,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silly_mama2002 View Post
What are you talking about? I have one driveway, which i use. When i cannot get into it because of snow, i park on my own driveway parallel parked. What public spaces??? And yes, i pay huge property taxes for this one, single, driveway, and i should be able to use it whether i pull in or use it to parallel park. I am not taking up any other parking spaces.
That's why I asked, if you're paying extra in property taxes for that reserved curb cut then that is fair for the public. Because since no one else can park along that curb cut, you are talking away one street parking spot from the public.

They recently made new private curb cuts illegal in Manhattan. So even if you own a brownstone and decide to build in a garage, you will no longer be allowed to get a permit for a driveway that takes away a public parking spot - no matter how much extra property tax the city could get

Old 02-14-2014, 11:38 AM

Default Duh

Hello, excuse me, as a NYC employee and resident, i pay NYC taxes, which entitles me to park on streets (for which i also pay mind you). My own driveway and my cut curb is part of my property, and i pay significant property taxes for my rather small house. There is no law stating that i must pay extra taxes for my cut curb. It is already part of my assessed taxes. And whether i pay insider my driveway or parallel park in front of it is my business. and i pay dearly for it. So, no, noone else is entitled to part there, but i am!

Old 02-14-2014, 11:40 AM

Default Sorry mispellings

in prior post, but i am very angry at this odd person who somehow things that i am being unfair to the public by parking in my own driveway. Seriously! The public is unfair to me since i pay taxes that people like you probably live off!

Old 02-14-2014, 11:57 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,641,093 times
Quote:
Hello, excuse me, as a NYC employee and resident, i pay NYC taxes, which entitles me to park on streets (for which i also pay mind you). My own driveway and my cut curb is part of my property, and i pay significant property taxes for my rather small house. There is no law stating that i must pay extra taxes for my cut curb. It is already part of my assessed taxes. And whether i pay insider my driveway or parallel park in front of it is my business. and i pay dearly for it. So, no, noone else is entitled to part there, but i am!
Quote:
in prior post, but i am very angry at this odd person who somehow things that i am being unfair to the public by parking in my own driveway. Seriously! The public is unfair to me since i pay taxes that people like you probably live off!
Can someone say definitively if property owners pay extra for curb cuts or not? Because if they don't that needs to be remedied. What gives you the god given right to take a reserved portion of the street for your use only. What about property owners who have no driveway, why couldn't they also reserve a spot on the street nobody else can use? It amazes me sometimes what people think they are entitled to in a major urban environment. The street is a public space and parking should be available to everyone not just whoever owns the a lot perpendicular to it. If you're going to take property form the public you should be expected to compensate them for it

Old 02-14-2014, 12:07 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,048,789 times
Quote:
Can someone say definitively if property owners pay extra for curb cuts or not? Because if they don't that needs to be remedied. What gives you the god given right to take a reserved portion of the street for your use only. What about property owners who have no driveway, why couldn't they also reserve a spot on the street nobody else can use? It amazes me sometimes what people think they are entitled to in a major urban environment. The street is a public space and parking should be available to everyone not just whoever owns the a lot perpendicular to it. If you're going to take property form the public you should be expected to compensate them for it
I don't think they pay extra, although I found some articles about this being a contentious issue. I didn't really read it carefully but there is some info here The Politics of Curb Cuts and Driveways

Old 02-14-2014, 12:07 PM

Default Ignorance

Quote:

You are ignorant. You should look at a common property tax assessment, a house with a driveway, and a cut curb, is assessed higher, ergo, higher property taxes. Ergo, yes, that portion of the street is for my use, BECAUSE I PAY FOR IT. I keep it clean from snow, dirt etc... An entitlement is something that someone thinks they should have/own, without paying for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City