Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should schools be closed during major snowstorms?
Yes 31 79.49%
No 8 20.51%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:07 PM

250 posts, read 269,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I don't know why this close the schools,close the schools thing has gotten so loud of late.Must be new people who are unfamiliar with NYC culture because NYC has always been notorious for closing the schools only very rarely compared to others. Most long time NY'ers know and accept this and make their own decisions.

Local media has amplified a lot of the dissent on closing schools during these average snowstorms. Jockeying for ratings I guess.

It's becoming a circus right now. Other than the huge pools of ice water that are all over this city, I think today wasn't that bad. If anything, I think it would have been premature to close the schools. Yes, it was bad during the start of the morning commute but it got better after 11am. People seem to forget, during the 12 years of the Bloomberg administration, closing schools was a rare occurrence and the last time they closed schools for more than a day, they had to make up for days lost by canceling spring recess.

And yes, schools should be closed during major snowstorms. This one, and the last one weren't major storms. Until we get a snowstorm that mirrors 78' 96, 2009 and 2011 or even Hurricane Sandy, I say keep them open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 08:15 PM

31,885 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belltolls View Post
Local media had amplified a lot of the dissent on closing schools during these average snowstorms. Jockeying for ratings I guess.

It's becoming a circus right now. Other than the huge pools of ice water that are all over this city, I think today wasn't that bad. If anything, I think it would have been premature to close the schools. Yes, it was bad during the start of the morning commute but it got better after 11am. People seem to forget, during the 12 years of the Bloomberg administration, closing schools was a rare occurrence and the last time they closed schools for more than a day, they had to make up for days lost by canceling spring recess.

And yes, schools should be closed during major snowstorms. This one, and the last one weren't major storms. Until we get a snowstorm that mirrors 78' 96, 2009 and 2011 or even Hurricane Sandy, I say keep them open.
De Blasio got himself into this mess by off the bat first days in office closing schools for what was really a minor snow storm. Smelling fresh meat his liberal/left base now assume everything more than a few snow flakes fall with or without wind schools will be closed. Obviously someone has sat Mr. de Blasio down since and had a few quiet words about school closings.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:16 PM

107 posts, read 224,038 times
This snowstorm, should of ended with a 2 hour delay due to all the snow we already got. People where I live don't like to shovel. They need to be fined. The snowstorm before this one, wasn't a major one. So that would be regular schedule. The one before that one, should of been a delay in my view (base on what I've already seen) but really wanted for schools to be closed due to black ice issues. The snow feel with freezing rain followed by a deep freeze.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:25 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I don't know why this close the schools,close the schools thing has gotten so loud of late.Must be new people who are unfamiliar with NYC culture because NYC has always been notorious for closing the schools only very rarely compared to others. Most long time NY'ers know and accept this and make their own decisions.

wonder why that is though

Old 02-13-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
DeBlasio said they expected as little as 3 inches of snow only, while defending the decision to keep schools open. He's full of ****. The only reason they wanna keep em open is money. They are under pressure to keep the city functioning so big business can make money, nobody cares about kids safety. What a mistake of a mayor, and I thought he aight.
Local public school districts in the United States and that includes NYC have less to worry about from "big business' regarding money than the federal government. Via payments from the DOE schools are not paid for days when students are not in attendance on several fronts including school lunches/meals.

Purpose of all and any businesses is to make money, that is why they are set up in the first place. It is why those in NYC pay vast amounts of taxes; so the City will do what it is supposed to in terms of snow removal and or dealing with storms.

Leaving aside the weather if you are an employer/business and customers or employees cannot get in then you are losing money.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:39 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,576,804 times
It should have been a two-hour delay, but closure was not necessary today. With a two-hour delay, I think the attendance today would have been higher as well as parents saw it really wasn't that bad out.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
It should have been a two-hour delay, but closure was not necessary today. With a two-hour delay, I think the attendance today would have been higher as well as parents saw it really wasn't that bad out.
Think a lot depended upon where one lived and how well the City did with plowing.

Saw on the news two different sections of Staten Island (West Brighton and South Beach), where the former was well plowed, school buses showed up on time and had no problems going and coming. OTOH the later looked like a war zone. South Beach streets had barely been plowed from the last snow storm and this storm dumped more on top of that. One man said even with an SUV his wife couldn't get out of their driveway/block and he wasn't going to risk sending his children to school either by them driving or school bus.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:10 AM

8,678 posts, read 11,067,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
wonder why that is though
its about the food program. there is no learning on snow days.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:17 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,233,404 times
Can't vote yes or no on this. There is too much grey and subjectivity involved with this. Some snowstorms are much worse than others even if they all qualify as major. Tough call for a mayor, they get killed either way.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 02-14-2014 at 07:32 AM..

Old 02-14-2014, 10:07 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,706,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
DeBlasio said they expected as little as 3 inches of snow only, while defending the decision to keep schools open. He's full of ****. The only reason they wanna keep em open is money. They are under pressure to keep the city functioning so big business can make money, nobody cares about kids safety. What a mistake of a mayor, and I thought he aight.
Lonnie Quinn of CBS essentially called de Blasio a liar or incompetent. Quinn showed that his (and other forecasters) 10pm forecast called for anywhere from 6-12 inches in the city. He called for 8-10 with blizzard type conditions.

Let's face it, and de Basio addressed in his news conference, the schools were left open so parents had a place to drop off their kids and get them fed while they worked; essentially a huge taxpayer day care system.

His taxpayer paid day care agenda (pre-k, etc.) is right on track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City