Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should schools be closed during major snowstorms?
Yes 31 79.49%
No 8 20.51%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 10:26 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I don't know why this close the schools,close the schools thing has gotten so loud of late.Must be new people who are unfamiliar with NYC culture because NYC has always been notorious for closing the schools only very rarely compared to others. Most long time NY'ers know and accept this and make their own decisions.
Could be more well-to-do families (who aren't really well to do) sending their kids to the NYC public schools. A lot of schools in Westchester were closed yesterday so if they came from the same mindset then they would have expected the NYC schools to similarly close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 10:38 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
DeBlasio said they expected as little as 3 inches of snow only, while defending the decision to keep schools open. He's full of ****. The only reason they wanna keep em open is money. They are under pressure to keep the city functioning so big business can make money, nobody cares about kids safety. What a mistake of a mayor, and I thought he aight.
It’s about the poor, not the rich. Affluent knowledge workers all have laptops and can telecommute for a day or two. His concern is for poor, working families who can’t work from home and can’t afford to take a day off—and the children who won’t eat if they’re not in school. There’s an argument to be made on both sides and it’s not an easy call.

It sounds like the real issue is that you wanted a snowday.

Last edited by tpk-nyc; 02-14-2014 at 11:58 AM..

Old 02-14-2014, 10:43 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
It sounds like the real issue is the you wanted a snowday.
That pretty much describes the majority of people on their soapbox complaining

Old 02-14-2014, 10:44 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
It’s about the poor, not the rich. Affluent knowledge workers all have laptops and can telecommute for a day or two. His concern is for poor, working families who can’t work from home and can’t afford to take a day off—and the children who won’t eat if they’re not in school.
The above is true, so why didn't they say that at the news conference instead of BSing about the forecast and how it was "now a beautiful day."

More of an overriding concern should be the safety of those needing to get to the schools.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:19 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times
Quote:
Because if NYC schools are open then other things are open too, like colleges, jobs, etc. Things I have to go to. I don't like it. Roads are even worse in NJ and transit runs horrible at times like this. It's hard enough getting to NY without a snowstorm.
I think bluedog2 stated it best.

People have to take responsibility for their own decisions.

If you feel that the roads are too bad or hazardous to travel on safely, then stay home and live with the consequences of your decision, however, the world does not and should not shut down because of snow (ice, yes but not snow).

Every winter, even before the first Pilgrim set foot on Plymouth Rock, there has been a very high probability of some significant measure of snow falling in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast corridor, so when it happens, no one should be surprised or caught off guard. You just have to plan for more travel time, slow down to a reasonable pace (based on conditions), be patient and adjust accordingly.

Now before someone starts accusing me of not being able to relate because I live in Alaska, let me just say for the record that I have lived here for 11 years but I was born in Philly and lived there for 25 years plus I lived another 11 years in the Baltimore/ DC area.

Besides, within a week or so, you will be hard pressed to even know that it ever snowed.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:57 PM

646 posts, read 926,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I think bluedog2 stated it best.

People have to take responsibility for their own decisions.

If you feel that the roads are too bad or hazardous to travel on safely, then stay home and live with the consequences of your decision, however, the world does not and should not shut down because of snow (ice, yes but not snow).

Every winter, even before the first Pilgrim set foot on Plymouth Rock, there has been a very high probability of some significant measure of snow falling in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast corridor, so when it happens, no one should be surprised or caught off guard. You just have to plan for more travel time, slow down to a reasonable pace (based on conditions), be patient and adjust accordingly.

Now before someone starts accusing me of not being able to relate because I live in Alaska, let me just say for the record that I have lived here for 11 years but I was born in Philly and lived there for 25 years plus I lived another 11 years in the Baltimore/ DC area.

Besides, within a week or so, you will be hard pressed to even know that it ever snowed.
Philly and DC is not NYC. It's much harder commuting to Manhattan from parts of the boroughs and the burbs than other cities.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Philly and DC is not NYC
Yeah, we should be pretty good about the snow and I'm surprised all the complainers don't have a thicker skin.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:24 PM

646 posts, read 926,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Yeah, we should be pretty good about the snow and I'm surprised all the complainers don't have a thicker skin.
Ignorant...

Old 02-14-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
It's much harder commuting to Manhattan from parts of the boroughs and the burbs than other cities.
Quote:
Ignorant...

haha, if you look in the dictionary under ignorant you'll see your picture with the caption:
"A guy from New Jersey complaining about New York's City Schools closing and thinking that kids from the burbs are even allowed to go to NYC schools"

So many morons online

Old 02-14-2014, 02:18 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
It's much harder commuting to Manhattan from parts of the boroughs and the burbs than other cities.
when was the last time nyc subway totally went down due to a snowstorm? I can count them on my hand being a life long NYer. Granted those "signal problems" seem like a every other week nonsense followed by sick passengers delays.

So that pretty much leaves most of eastern queens and staten island that the subway doesn't go (unless you count the LIRR). Most of nyc is within reasonable distant to get to a subway...granted you can reasonably healthy & can walk at least 30 min.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City