Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 10:13 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times

Advertisements

I also believe that people can be rehabilitated, and that the last place the OP's new tenant wants to go is back to prison. And, I do hope that all works out well. My earlier comments were predicated on the risk to which the OP, as a new landlord, will be exposed.

However, as this is a thirty-year-old crime of passion, not not premeditated murder, that does change the light in which the issue is cast, because I highly doubt that recidivism is going to be a factor. There is no mention of escalating criminal behavior that resulted in the murder conviction for which the prospective tenant was incarcerated. Given that it was a crime of passion, and with competent defense counsel at the time of indictment, there may have been a possibility to plea to a manslaughter charge. However, because not all counsel are created equal, such options are not always available to those without the means to pay upfront.

I wish the OP all the best, and still think that this is a complex tenancy that has many variables. However, I am less worried about the criminal actions, especially if the person is still under parole oversight, than the lack of credit. I would have asked for a bit more security deposit to cover the additional risk, and I would have asked for some character references outside of the judicial system, such as employer, member of clergy, etc. The situation is complex, but the OP has a decision in hand, and I do hope that the landlord-tenant relationship is smooth.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 10:15 PM

103 posts, read 226,231 times
[quote=SeventhFloor;33492722]OP, does the person have a job now?

He says he actually has two jobs,he is in a program that helps rehabilitate ex-cons, finding them work etc, he's been out since last year and his PO says I can include in the lease the fact that he is not allowed to associate with known felons, (To misquote Jimmy in Pulp fiction, I don't want a bunch of gangsters(felons) doing gangster(felon) sh!# in my apartment :-).

Old 02-15-2014, 10:18 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,751,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I also don't see how people can be so callous to the OP. Due to the neighborhood, either the OP is going to have to rent out to Section 8 people or give less than ideal people like this ex convict a second chance. Yet because of their own fears, they'd rather the OP go broke and not rent out to anyone. Are people telling the OP not to rent out to this man going to pay the mortgage on his property or pay for the rent?

I do think the OP may want to think about renting out at least some of his apartments to people on government programs, given the neighborhood and location. Screw the old Irish guy and his complaint about baby daddy issues. You'd want at least some of your apartments to have guaranteed income.
Even if the OP waited 2 or 3 months to find a more acceptable tenant he would be better off financially than going through the landlord tenant court hell. I have had to go that route and it is not a pleasant experience.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:25 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
[quote=Beejay24/7;33492924]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
OP, does the person have a job now?

He says he actually has two jobs,he is in a program that helps rehabilitate ex-cons, finding them work etc, he's been out since last year and his PO says I can include in the lease the fact that he is not allowed to associate with known felons, (To misquote Jimmy in Pulp fiction, I don't want a bunch of gangsters(felons) doing gangster(felon) sh!# in my apartment :-).
I say give him a chance. Any issues you can contact his PO.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-15-2014, 10:28 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
[quote=SeventhFloor;33492994]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay24/7 View Post

I say give him a chance. Any issues you can contact his PO.
I agree with this. It sounds like the OP is mostly covered, and can contact the Parole Officer if there are any issues.

The guy is also in some other programs, so that will help as well.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:35 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
The only problem is that you can rely on a parole officer up to a point. The OP has a valid contract with the tenant that is not restricted by the court; thus, there is no protection if he chooses not to pay, and the guarantor refuses to pay. The only avenue is eviction and litigation, as there is no redress from the parole officer regarding a civil matter, only criminal.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-15-2014, 10:35 PM

384 posts, read 512,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
OP, does the person have a job now?

Henna, the only difference between the ex-con and a person graduating out of college is that he has a felony on his record. The college graduate often has no employment history, save a few internships, and no credit history as well. Matter of fact, they might even have a bad credit history because these corporations are notorious for pushing credit cards on these kids when they're in college and those textbooks are expensive. So you're right - let's not get the issues mixed up.
The employment prospects of a recent college graduate and an ex-convict are basically inverse. According to BLS, by October 2011, in the depths of the recession, about 75% of college students who graduated in 2011 had jobs. The unemployment rate for ex-felons in their first year after release is generally around 75%.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The only problem is that you can rely on a parole officer up to a point. The OP has a valid contract with the tenant that is not restricted by the court; thus, there is no protection if he chooses not to pay, and the guarantor refuses to pay. The only avenue is eviction and litigation, as there is no redress from the parole officer regarding a civil matter, only criminal.
Well, at any point of you rent out to someone there is the possibility of eviction. Or that the person could break the lease.

There is no such thing as risk free tenant. I don't see why there's such opposition to the OP renting out to this man.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshoe View Post
The employment prospects of a recent college graduate and an ex-convict are basically inverse. According to BLS, by October 2011, in the depths of the recession, about 75% of college students who graduated in 2011 had jobs. The unemployment rate for ex-felons in their first year after release is generally around 75%.
Supposedly this particularly ex felon already has two jobs. So the stats are a moot point if he's already employed.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:41 PM

384 posts, read 512,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Supposedly this particularly ex felon already has two jobs. So the stats are a moot point if he's already employed.
I understand. I was responding to a general statement made that was completely fallacious. But related to this particular case, college graduates also have much higher rates of job stability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City