Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2014, 01:44 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMarcusRE View Post
The original question was renting to this specific individual who did time for murder. I've rented to ex-cons in my building but none of them ever did time for murder. I've also had tenants that were on Sec-8. Nothing wrong with it.

NyWriterdude, I don't know if you've ever owned an apartment building or managed one; but understand this is a business. If he has to carry the unit for an extra month to find a better tenant, from my experience that's a better way to go. You assume the OP is gonna go broke if does not rent to this individual. Unless you know him personally and know what's in his Bank account, then you're the one who's making unfounded statements.
For those of you are in such opposition to this man renting out to the ex con, really, why?

Its not your bank account, and its not your building. Ultimately its the OP's choice.

Some of you just have the man that an ex con should be homeless for the rest of his life, and should be endlessly punished for a crime.

I have no idea what this particular ex con will do in the future. But I do know that giving people second chances isn't bad, and no one should be made to feel guilty just for willing to take a chance on someone. It may or may not work out, I'm not psychic so I can't say.

But anyone who lives in Brownsville knows its a rough neighborhood. So why is there opposition to someone renting out to an ex con in a rough neighborhood? Like it or not these people have to live somewhere. if they get jobs they should definitely not stay in government sponsored housing for the rest of their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 02:02 PM

22 posts, read 37,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
For those of you are in such opposition to this man renting out to the ex con, really, why?

Its not your bank account, and its not your building. Ultimately its the OP's choice.

Some of you just have the man that an ex con should be homeless for the rest of his life, and should be endlessly punished for a crime.

I have no idea what this particular ex con will do in the future. But I do know that giving people second chances isn't bad, and no one should be made to feel guilty just for willing to take a chance on someone. It may or may not work out, I'm not psychic so I can't say.

But anyone who lives in Brownsville knows its a rough neighborhood. So why is there opposition to someone renting out to an ex con in a rough neighborhood? Like it or not these people have to live somewhere. if they get jobs they should definitely not stay in government sponsored housing for the rest of their lives.
When you've owned an apartment building and managed tenants, then probably your words would carry more weight. But if you've never been to a Landlord-Tenant court or have dealt with really bad tenants and the only one making money is your attorney; you learn real fast to scrutinize your applicants before renting to them.

The best thing the OP can do is hire a Realtor who knows that area well to find a more suitable tenant. Don't forget it's the OP who seeking help and advice not the applicant. Who's to say the applicant doesn't have family that can help him out if the OP doesn't rent to him.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:02 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i would be worried too.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMarcusRE View Post
When you've owned an apartment building and managed tenants, then probably your words would carry more weight. But if you've never been to a Landlord-Tenant court or have dealt with really bad tenants and the only one making money is your attorney; you learn real fast to scrutinize your applicants before renting to them.

The best thing the OP can do is hire a Realtor who knows that area well to find a more suitable tenant. Don't forget it's the OP who seeking help and advice not the applicant. Who's to say the applicant doesn't have family that can help him out if the OP doesn't rent to him.
He's an old man, his parents may very well be dead. And why should he have to live with family for the rest of his life?

You guys are being jerks, plain and simple. There's absolutely no proof that this man is going to do anything bad. There's certainly that risk, but to say for the rest of his life he can never have his own place is horrible beyond words.

If he does anything else criminal, then he belongs back in jail. In the meantime, he is just as deserving of an apartment as ANYONE ELSE who can afford to pay.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:14 PM

I think that landlord/tenant laws in NYC need to be revised.

In exchange for making it easier to evict criminal and serious problem tenants, background checks should be severely restricted.

Its wrong to want to indefinitely deny this man housing. If someone is willing to take a chance on him, let that person take that chance.

Stop trying to sabotage the recovery of someone who did his time in prison and who went out and got two jobs.

OP, for what its worth I think you're doing the right thing.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:20 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quite frankly, this man should be dead already. ALL murderers should receive the death penalty. Let their version of god worry about rehabilitating them.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Quite frankly, this man should be dead already. ALL murderers should receive the death penalty. Let their version of god worry about rehabilitating them.
Then you should receive the death penalty if you ever use your gun on a person. Would you care join these men under those circumstances?

I mean, if a private citizen killing someone requires the death penalty, why not execute people who kill people under all circumstances if they kill someone? Why waste time on trials and lawyers? Why not just burn them at the stake? Why listen to excuses for self defense?

And there are places that have a lot more executions than the US, Airborneguy. You can move to Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan for that.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:35 PM

Murder, young one, murder. You're supposedly smart enough to know what constitutes murder. At least you constantly tell us you are. If I murder another human being, I should be put to death, just like every other murderer.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Murder, young one, murder. You're supposedly smart enough to know what constitutes murder. At least you constantly tell us you are. If I murder another human being, I should be put to death, just like every other murderer.
So you should be perfectly at home living in Saudi Arabia, which uses capital punishment at a much higher rate than any state in the US.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:53 PM

Yeah, whatever. You got me brainiac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City