Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 05:33 PM

103 posts, read 226,231 times

Advertisements

@,RLRL LOL, @Harlem resident, he would have take the cash and still stayed, this is not a man that has a working relationship with honor or integrity,@ carnivalday, I know right, it was just a good idea that didn't work out, the good news is , I'm hoping to open my office there this year, so it's not a total loss, and even in Brownsville, property values have soared,right now it's worth nearly triple what I paid for it according to Zillow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 05:35 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay24/7 View Post
@,RLRL LOL, @Harlem resident, he would have take the cash and still stayed, this is not a man that has a working relationship with honor or integrity,@ carnivalday, I know right, it was just a good idea that didn't work out, the good news is , I'm hoping to open my office there this year, so it's not a total loss, and even in Brownsville, property values have soared,right now it's worth nearly triple what I paid for it according to Zillow
Hint: You don't given the cash until he signs a legal document agreeing to leave. Best done before a judge at your next court date.

Once that happens, he will be locked out and forcibly removed if home. It becomes trespassing.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:13 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,751,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
I would have offered cash long ago.
Yes! Anything to avoid L and T court.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:59 AM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
This thread should be a sticky.
No, it should be common sense. This question never should have needed to be asked.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:18 PM

315 posts, read 210,718 times
Quote:
I did a background check on a prospective tenant, he had no credit history and it turned out that he had been convicted of murder, his apartment is going to be above my office, I know some people would say he's done his time but I'm worried about the legal liability if he does something to a co tenant , or what happens if he decides he doesn't want to pay rent ? he has no credit history presumably because he spent a lot of time in jail, OTOH , I do feel bad for him and I know he needs to leave his current place very soon, I more or less promised to let him have the place before I found out about this murder 1 conviction, and I really need the money. Would you give him a chance ?
It's great that you are really searching your soul about this and trying to be fair but you should think about yourself and your family and your obligations/property first - especially since this isn't grand larceny - it's murder 1.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:45 AM

100 posts, read 195,443 times
Everyone deserves a second chance, plus he repayed his debt to society

Old 06-23-2015, 07:14 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtxZombie View Post
Everyone deserves a second chance, plus he repayed his debt to society
Not sure if you are serious or being sarcastic.... (Tenant was convicted of first degree murder) So, you
think the murder victim got his/her second chance? And the society have to paid for the food and living
expenses while he was doing his time in prison. I don't considered that repayed his debt to society or the
victim. Some wrongs can be forgiven, but there other things you can not.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:46 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Well folks, Above average bear and Bilmin were absolutely right, I got screwed over big time, two months in , the rent started coming late, four months in , it started coming in sporadically, by year's end I had started sending him notices of intent to evict, January we started the process , so far we've been in court four times, and the eviction is scheduled for next month, dude hasn't paid a dime in ten months, and even after the eviction I still have to keep his **** for another 30 days, then I have to move it at my expense to a storage facility. I can't even go after him for the money owed because the building was built pre C of O and idiot that I am, I decided to be all 'legalise it' and crap, and because I didn't have an official C of O , my lawyer says I can't get the money, which would be fine if he would just git, unfortunately it's a huge studio at below market, he keeps complaining that he's been looking and can't find anything like it, of course not *******, I thought I was being nice by knocking hundreds of bucks off the price, the irony is, the two jobs he claimed he had vaporised , then he claims he started working again,and seemed puzzled that I wouldn't take his money after the eviction was scheduled, he even had housing call me with an offer to cover some of his back rent, I asked the housing guy, 'so you pay me four months rent now, and next month he can't come up with the rent again, and I'm supposed to go through this again ?' housing guy '....(crickets)...' Meanwhile the guarantor turned out to be one of those pathetic jailbird groupies, three months in she bailed, reportedly after she caught him with some young chicks, sent me a letter from another state basically saying deuces.Yeah, the whole baptist minister shtick only lasted long enough for the parole board to stamp his parole approval, the parole officer was replaced by someone else who said they don't concern themselves with civil matters .We had a month to month lease and he's still in the apartment almost a year after he stopped paying, so now I'm screening tenants for the other apartment pending his eviction and guess what, my give a damn is broken, I'm asking upfront what is your income , why are you moving, will you consent to a background and credit check? and jettisoning the ones that don't make the cut before I even agree to show the apartment. Boy have I learned my lesson.
Dude if you were going to rent to a poor person you should have rented to someone who had Section 8, HASA, or some other welfare program to pay the rent. You still need to check the tenant out.

I can't imagine you getting a good working tenant with good credit in Brownsville, the worst neighborhood in the city.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:54 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
You never spoke to an experienced landlord attorney on this matter?

If Harlem Resident has to explain to how to do a buyout of a tenant (to be binding because you had a lawyer draft it up and the agreement was made before a judge) it sounds like you are in the wrong business. Educate yourself first and then hire a GOOD LANDLORD/Real Estate lawyer.

There is no such thing as honor or integrity in business you sound really stupid in even saying that. First you need to verify if the person has income and/or savings. Second you do need to understand convicted criminals may not be able to even get jobs, or if they do get a job whatever issues they may have may caused them to be fired from that job.

In a way this man did you a favor. He taught you something, as did the people on this forum you told you from the very beginning not to do this. You cannot change the past but moving forward you can change how you handle these things and you better drop the naive act fast. No excuses or justifications.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:33 PM

624 posts, read 982,695 times
I have a rental property and I would never under any circumstances rent to someone with no credit or questionable background. You have to understand with these kinds of people for every 1 honest person who is trying to get themselves back on track there are 1000 others who are master manipulators that just want to take advantage of you. The problem is that there is really no good way to tell the 2 types apart. Bad people are usually experts at appearing nice and trustworthy, especially to young naive people where they can instantly see openings to get into that persons trust zone.

You are running a business not a charity. Unless you have so much money that a catastrophe that includes getting no rent for 6 months to a year, legal fees for housing court, and having to repair damage the property wouldn't be a huge problem for you financially, don't even think about it.

The most important, the number one rule of the landlord game is get good tenants. You must carefully screen every tenants background and credit and be able to have a good reason to believe they are able and willing to pay the rent on time every month of the lease. If you have any little doubt, move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City