Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 11:02 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
If Brooklyn were to secede from the rest of the city, we would be fine with that. BK has it's own identity where as the other boroughs (and even some people in the tri-state) cling to just that, being from the area.

Ask someone from the Bronx or Queens (and staten island lol) where they're from. I bet they'll just say "New York". Not Brooklynites. So you may think it's insecurity but some of us are just proud of where we're from.
"Midtowners" - LOL. I'd gladly take a Brooklyn Brownstone any day over a bland glass tower in Midtown. Brooklyn takes the win in that category. Manhattan is no longer the only premier borough. People are looking at other boroughs first in 2014 and beyond.

It's always funny though. I guarantee you if this was like Kentucky and we shouted our love for our town, people would think that's ok. Our Kentucky shirts or blogs, people would think it's fine. But whenever it's Brooklyn or NYC as a whole, we're seen as snobs, pretentious, obnoxious etc. The consequences of ruling the world. . .

Oh and no one can ever decipher sarcasm over the internet either.
Nobody minds provincial pride, it's when "Brooklyn-ites" look down on and criticize other boroughs and neighborhoods in Manhattan which is a clear sign of insecurity. Long time New Yorkers don't do that as they trace family members and friends to all parts of the tri-state and boroughs and have nothing to prove

People are looking at other boroughs first because people's wage growth can't keep up. Minimalism isn't some counter-cultural reaction to improvident extravagance. It is simply when the masses don't have as much cash.

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 07-28-2014 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
But it's not and it doesn't, I know you're exaggerating but still lol. I'm pro development you know this but BK has a bunch of areas that are Historic Districts that will never see a bunch of glass towers.

Downtown Brooklyn is the exception to me because that's what a Downtown is suppose to look like/City Of BK was heading in that direction (I'm sure if our history was different Downtown Brooklyn would rival Lower Manhattan in the skyline category, in my opinion). Yes I'll support the tower right across from City Point that could rise over 1,000FT ->> http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/10/ny...ires.html?_r=0

It was only a matter of time for these towers to come to Downtown (it's a major transit hub too) though Brooklyn Heights will never get any of that height, nor will the area surrounding Prospect Park or Park Slope etc. So yeah I love the development Brooklyn is seeing in certain areas (Williamsburg water front, Barclays/Atlantic Yards, etc) and we can use more in other areas but I would NEVER pick any thing over a Brownstone, that's where I indeed draw the line. You would never see/or hear me advocate this and I never have.
That's a very myopic view of NYC but I'm not surprised. Many have never gone north of Time Square. Midtown West and East near central park is thousands upon thousands of brownstones and townhomes. Park Ave is lined with pre-war architecture all the way up Harlem, and the brownstones keep on going.

Those new residential glass towers are mostly built below 58th. That's Hell's Kitchen, Chelsea, Meatpacking district, Murray Hill in the eastside. If you don't believe this, take a damn ferry on the Hudson. You'll see there are no towers up northern Manhattan. Why? Because there's no bedrock to support those structures.

Regarding Brooklyn architecture, you've got to be kidding right? With the exception of Cobble Hill, Park Slope and few other "upperclass" Brooklyn neighborhoods priced like Manhattan, most homes in Brooklyn are dumps with aluminum siding, dated apt buildings, crappy old chemical warehouses turned lofts with questionable foundations and health issues. But the absolute worst thing that the developers have managed to HIDE from the public is Brooklyn is on top of an environmental DUMP. Yes, that's why I never moved to Brooklyn. NW Brooklyn covering Greenpoint, Williamsburg is on top of one of the largest land oil spills in history and was never cleaned. Nor were all the chemical spills and dumpage into the Gowanus. Face it, you're living on a health hazard.

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 07-28-2014 at 12:30 PM..

Old 07-28-2014, 08:12 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,448,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
That's a very myopic view of NYC but I'm not surprised. Many have never gone north of Time Square. Midtown West and East near central park is thousands upon thousands of brownstones and townhomes. Park Ave is lined with pre-war architecture all the way up Harlem, and the brownstones keep on going.

Those new residential glass towers are mostly built below 58th. That's Hell's Kitchen, Chelsea, Meatpacking district, Murray Hill in the eastside. If you don't believe this, take a damn ferry on the Hudson. You'll see there are no towers up northern Manhattan. Why? Because there's no bedrock to support those structures.
Only someone new to the city would attempt to act like Manhattan (or any other borough) has the same amount of Brownstones as Brooklyn. Please cut it out.

Maybe you should've read my post again before you commented because evidently you lack some sort of comprehension skills. Those new glass towers you are talking about are the SAME towers myself and Availableusername are talking about - in MIDTOWN. Which is something Downtown Brooklyn (which is again what we were talking about) won't have an abundance of. No one was talking about pre-war, or even doubting Manhattan has great areas, with amazing architecture.

You mentioned Midtowners looking down on Brooklynites and I said "I'd rather live in a Brooklyn Brownstone than a bland glass tower in Midtown". Go back and re-read, maybe you'll get a better understanding.

Quote:
Regarding Brooklyn architecture, you've got to be kidding right? With the exception of Cobble Hill, Park Slope and few other "upperclass" Brooklyn neighborhoods priced like Manhattan, most homes in Brooklyn are dumps with aluminum siding, dated apt buildings, crappy old chemical warehouses turned lofts with questionable foundations and health issues. But the absolute worst thing that the developers have managed to HIDE from the public is Brooklyn is on top of an environmental DUMP. Yes, that's why I never moved to Brooklyn. NW Brooklyn covering Greenpoint, Williamsburg is on top of one of the largest land oil spills in history and was never cleaned. Nor were all the chemical spills and dumpage into the Gowanus. Face it, you're living on a health hazard.
Ok sure, You can continue to believe this.

Definitely don't move to Brooklyn, you don't even have to visit

Old 07-29-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:

Ok sure, You can continue to believe this.

Definitely don't move to Brooklyn, you don't even have to visit
Greenpoint oil spill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These are facts. One of largest land oil spills in history, never cleaned up by Exxon which explains why the foundation in parts of Brooklyn is brown. I won't even get into the chemical factories near Red Hook and central Brooklyn that are just sitting on heavy metals, wastes and radioactivity which constantly redistribute throughout the borough during storms, ie Hurricane Sandy

Survey Finds High Cancer Rate In 2 Neighborhoods in Brooklyn - NYTimes.com

Have you ever been to midtown and above? There are brownstones on nearly every cross street up Harlem to 150th street not to mention the W. Village and LES. Perhaps not as many on a net basis compared to Brooklyn but I only mentioned this as you make it seem as though Manhattan is all steel and glass.

Also, I sense that you have a myopic view of Brooklyn.. Do you even consider central and SE Brooklyn part of Brooklyn or just the vicinity of "downtown Brooklyn" and the posh surrounding neighbohoods. Take a drive down Ocean Parkway or go around Flatbush Ave. I bet you rarely ever venture there. Most of Brooklyn is an absolute dump. The neighborhoods you speak so highly of are the gentrified coastal areas, a few subway stop commute to Manhattan. Yes, most people residing on the Brooklyn coastlines commute to Manhattan.

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 07-29-2014 at 01:37 PM..

Old 07-29-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Have you ever been to midtown and above? There are brownstones on nearly every cross street up Harlem to 150th street not to mention the W. Village and LES. Perhaps not as many on a net basis compared to Brooklyn but I only mentioned this as you make it seem as though Manhattan is all steel and glass.
Please show me exactly where I suggested this? Please. Because I never did. But please go back and quote me.

Quote:
Also, I sense that you have a myopic view of Brooklyn.. Do you even consider central and SE Brooklyn part of Brooklyn or just the vicinity of "downtown Brooklyn" and the posh surrounding neighbohoods. Take a drive down Ocean Parkway or go around Flatbush Ave. I bet you rarely ever venture there. Most of Brooklyn is an absolute dump. The neighborhoods you speak so highly of are the gentrified coastal areas, a few subway stop commute to Manhattan. Yes, most people residing on the Brooklyn coastlines commute to Manhattan.
LOL! How are you questioning me about MY city, especially MY borough. Since you're new around here (the forum) feel free to search through my previous post if you'd like to know my history.

What exactly do you know about Mill Basin mansions? Bay Ridge? Bensonhurst? Flatbush? Have you even heard of Victorian Flatbush? To say Brooklyn is a dump is clearly false and you keep showing us you know NOTHING about the borough. (Queue your rebuttal with an East New York and Brownsville mention here)

Sure I love Brownstone and Northern Brooklyn (it's one of my goals to own a Brownstone before I die, and that's the area I was raised in) but don't think you know me because I post on an online forum. My birth certificate says "City of New York . . . Kings County, Brooklyn". I was here BEFORE Brooklyn was hot and I'll be here even after the hype dies.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Please show me exactly where I suggested this? Please. Because I never did. But please go back and quote me.

LOL! How are you questioning me about MY city, especially MY borough. Since you're new around here (the forum) feel free to search through my previous post if you'd like to know my history.

What exactly do you know about Mill Basin mansions? Bay Ridge? Bensonhurst? Flatbush? Have you even heard of Victorian Flatbush? To say Brooklyn is a dump is clearly false and you keep showing us you know NOTHING about the borough. (Queue your rebuttal with an East New York and Brownsville mention here)

Sure I love Brownstone and Northern Brooklyn (it's one of my goals to own a Brownstone before I die, and that's the area I was raised in) but don't think you know me because I post on an online forum. My birth certificate says "City of New York . . . Kings County, Brooklyn". I was here BEFORE Brooklyn was hot and I'll be here even after the hype dies.
You wrote, "I'd gladly take a Brooklyn Brownstone any day over a bland glass tower in Midtown. Brooklyn takes the win in that category". Your comment is valid within context of Midtown, but to say Brooklyn as a whole "takes the win" regarding brownstones reveals your ignorant subjective tone.

Finally, nobody cares about Brooklyn except people who live in Brooklyn. Quit self marketing and comparing yourselves to the other boroughs. No other boroughs do this. Nobody cares about you and your gentrification culture or crappy Nets basketball team which is basically a NJ team. Ever wonder why when the Knicks come into the Barclay center, the vast majority of the crowd roots for the Knicks?

All NW Brooklyn-ites please just go live your life and stop spewing off how great life is on that toxic cancerous chemical dump. This is why people pity your borough. People don't diss Brooklyn, people look upon Brooklyn as the insecure middle child who constantly annoys people on how great they are and how lowly everyone else is. That behavior sucks.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:41 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
some people read too much into nonsense.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
You wrote, "I'd gladly take a Brooklyn Brownstone any day over a bland glass tower in Midtown. Brooklyn takes the win in that category". Your comment is valid within context of Midtown, but to say Brooklyn as a whole "takes the win" regarding brownstones reveals your ignorant subjective tone.
Finally, you saw where you jumped off the bridge and started to assume! I never said "Brooklyn takes the win over Manhattan". We weren't even talking about Brooklyn/Manhattan as a whole (just Brownstone Brooklyn and Midtown, at that moment).

We were talking about Midtown. So enjoy your day and I'm happy you finally learned how to read and fully comprehend. I may give you Rep points for showing great progress.

No one cares about Brooklyn meanwhile no one in/from Brooklyn EVER cared about what outsiders thought about us. But still no one cares Brooklyn Population Growth Highest in State. . .

Old 07-30-2014, 01:50 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
NW Brooklyn covering Greenpoint, Williamsburg is on top of one of the largest land oil spills in history and was never cleaned. Nor were all the chemical spills and dumpage into the Gowanus. Face it, you're living on a health hazard.
Yet it seems like every day it seems like another person from Manhattan is deciding to make the move to this toxic dump. Plus, if you hang out in Williamsburg on weekends, you will even find Manhattanites choosing to hang out in North Brooklyn rather than staying in their home boro of Manhattan. Crazy stuff, I know.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:30 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Re: secession. Only one borough has ever voted - twice - to seperate from the city, and it isn't Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City