U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 12:51 PM

292 posts, read 529,146 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

If you are or were a staff analyst trainee, please tell me how the process is from the beginning (when you take the exam and receive a list number) to the point of actually getting hired. I need to know and prepare so i can understand the time thats involved And Im also curious about what is involved in the process. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 7,839 times
hi. I'm taking the test too. As a current NYC classified employee, I can tell you the process of city exams. Once you take the exam, you will have to wait a few months for your results. you will get a score as well as a list number. You want to score as high as possible because you want your list number to be low.

Those who score 90's and better get invitation to the first hiring pool. the pool is like a job fair-in a way- all of the city agencies that need staff analysts will have tables or booths set up. You get on the line of the agency you want to work in and they give you a quick interview. If you're selected, you get a second interview with the person you would be reporting to. That's how it worked for me. you may want to check out the Staff Analyst Union website for more info on the selection process specific to this position. They also have training materials and sample tests that might help you with studying for the exam. [url]http://www.osaunion.org/exam/main.html[/url]

Old 06-24-2014, 01:13 PM

292 posts, read 529,146 times
Oh, thanks for the reply! Lol, I decided to check again (months later for a response). Wow thats an interesting process. Are there preferences for people who are municipal employees already (like myself?) despite what list number I may get?

I guess the wait is long like any other civil service jobs, lol. Ive been applying to other positions in other city agencies with no luck so im hoping taking this exam will land me an opportunity. Thanks for the reply.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:22 PM

46 posts, read 111,317 times
hi, did anyone take the test already, if yes how did u feel about it. I took it last week wasn't anything I thought it would be nothing on what the union had is practicing for

Old 07-13-2014, 03:59 PM

242 posts, read 423,425 times
What did it have? Was it math intensive?

Old 07-15-2014, 08:08 PM

9 posts, read 36,074 times
It was... tedious. The test questions require fairly basic knowledge, but they're complicated and contorted like brain teasers. Get lots of sleep and food and be relaxed for it. I just wasted time with the OSA study material, really...

The math is pretty basic, but phrased in a complicated way that makes it easy to make mistakes due to carelessness. Definitely bring your own calculator... OSA hands out these tiny little calculators before the test, but I really wish they hadn't, lol - then I would have actually gone back to the car for mine. Since they gave me one, I just decided to use that, but there was a LOT of number punching, and the tiny little calculator they gave had touch keys smaller than my fingers. I ended up using the pencil eraser to punch stuff in, and wasted half my time double checking whether I punched in the right things.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:04 AM

46 posts, read 111,317 times
@raestyr @citymerlot , i took the union prep course to waste of time and i agree with everything you said about the test, i think they made it like that on purpose to wee out many city workers because this is like an open door to new job oppertunities for them so it was like a trap, basic stuff out very tricky and the test was very time consuming. basically nothing to study but your own time management

Old 07-17-2014, 05:59 PM

79 posts, read 359,433 times
I took the test at the urging of my parents. I'm planning on applying to law school but they paid for it and also bought this useless review book. The test was just really long and stressed attention to detail. I had to do all the math by hand and still scored well. I'm gonna go to the protest session cause I felt really confident stepping out the test (was only unsure about two questions) so I wanna see what I got wrong.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:20 AM

3 posts, read 12,308 times
Hello, I took the test on 7/11/14. Do you know when is the protest session will be?
I have registered to attend it and expected to get some letter by mail… but so far nothing, so not sure about the time and the place…
Please, does anyone have any info?
Thank you very much.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 6,740 times
I also took the test. It was very tedious and time consuming. I was told to study and the test would be difficult, I did pass and I am excited about the job opportunity. I hope they start calling soon, since I am tired of the department I work in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City