Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 08:14 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Puzzled why the first place you thought of was NJ. Why not Long Island? The LIRR as a Brooklyn terminal, too. Though it could be a bit of a walk from your workplace.
Am not OP but can guess a response.

From many parts of NJ close to the Hudson it is actually easier and probably faster to reach lower Manhattan (at least via public/mass transportation), and thus downtown Brooklyn than from LI.

IIRC the LIRR station in Brooklyn is way out in Flatbush somewhere. Not the longest walk to Jay Street, but not exactly easy either.

Tax and other costs wise it probably is actually cheaper in NJ than LI. There is very little rental housing in much of LI and taxes in many towns even on small homes is often steep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 08:41 PM

19 posts, read 38,251 times
Well, yes, I thought NJ was cheaper. But I'm also just very ignorant of what options are out there and what would be the best fit. I've been in NYC 3 years, and almost all that time has been spent in Manhattan. I don't know the surrounding area well at all. I'll make sure to look at both Staten Island and Long Island going forward (though job starts in early May. It'd be great to have something before then.) Other suggestions very appreciated. I only just started doing research.

Some words on Forest Hill in Newark would be especially appreciated. After so long in NYC, those massive homes on huge tracks of land for a pittance seem so attractive. Neighborhood seems dead but not particularly unsafe, which doesn't bother me, and close to NYC. But I'm guessing everything's so low cost for a reason... I'd like to know what that is. (Of course I know any old home can be a money pit. But still- much cheaper than comparable old homes with the same proximity to the city.)

Old 02-17-2014, 07:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Keep your West Side apartment, learn to love it and, who knows, maybe your landlord will up the ante.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:18 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post

Any reason why you don't want to move somewhere tree-lined and spacious in Brooklyn?
I was gonna say...Jersey? Don't do it. He'll be hating life in no time and wasting mad cash on bridge tolls and gas. Only good reason to go out there is if you work out there too.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annchry View Post
Well, yes, I thought NJ was cheaper. But I'm also just very ignorant of what options are out there and what would be the best fit. I've been in NYC 3 years, and almost all that time has been spent in Manhattan. I don't know the surrounding area well at all. I'll make sure to look at both Staten Island and Long Island going forward (though job starts in early May. It'd be great to have something before then.) Other suggestions very appreciated. I only just started doing research.

Some words on Forest Hill in Newark would be especially appreciated. After so long in NYC, those massive homes on huge tracks of land for a pittance seem so attractive. Neighborhood seems dead but not particularly unsafe, which doesn't bother me, and close to NYC. But I'm guessing everything's so low cost for a reason... I'd like to know what that is. (Of course I know any old home can be a money pit. But still- much cheaper than comparable old homes with the same proximity to the city.)
Staten Island is nearly as bad as NJ if you're trying to get to BK. Traffic snarls. Bridge tolls, the whole nine. And then there's the whole BQE thing. If you don't know what that means you better ax somebody.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annchry View Post
Hey thanks for the suggestions. I'll be working right at the edge of Brooklyn- the Jay Street stop. And no, NJ isn't a must. What is a must is space. I have two dogs and I love them, but it's really time for a backyard to make things easier, and one of the postage stamp NY ones just won't do. I also need a commute that's less than an hour. I'm okay if that commute is public transport or driving. Massive bonus points if it could be closer to 30 minutes, but I know something has to give.

As far as everything else, I'm pretty flexible. I could buy a place for about 300-350k. Or I could rent, just as long as dog friendly and under $2k per month. This isn't much of a budget in NYC, which is why I was looking outside. Doesn't need to be particularly impressive in either case. Just some space, inside and outside, and a reasonable commute.

Where should I go?

This may or may not complicate things. Currently I live in the UWS in the 70s. I lucked into a 2 bedroom rent stabilized and pay about 2k. I know it's a great deal, and I'm loathe to leave it. I know lots of people wouldn't. But I'm just done with the cramped apartment life. And my landlord has offered me 50k to buy out my lease, so I'm leaning that way... But if that seems crazy I'll hear that advice too.
Take the $50k and use it as a down payment on a starter house in Nassau County is probably your move then.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:50 PM

8,688 posts, read 11,078,805 times
I know people who commute from NJ to Brooklyn...I highly recc against it. Its very tough

Old 02-17-2014, 04:21 PM

237 posts, read 482,504 times
I can't imagine why anyone living on the Upper West Side would choose to move to Newark to commute to Brooklyn. It just doesn't make a lot of sense. You're moving further away and to a worse neighborhood. The Forest Hill section is one of the better parts of Newark, but you're still in Newark, meaning you're in a depressed city, and you're very close to some terrible neighborhoods. Are trees really enough of a reason to make that sacrifice?

I understand the desire for a more suburban lifestyle, but this can be achieved in parts of Long Island or even parts of Brooklyn and Queens. If you're intent on NJ, there are far better choices than Newark with your budget (though the commute would still be hell).

Last edited by Rare727; 02-17-2014 at 04:31 PM..

Old 02-17-2014, 04:28 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Am not OP but can guess a response.

IIRC the LIRR station in Brooklyn is way out in Flatbush somewhere. Not the longest walk to Jay Street, but not exactly easy either.
..there's a LIRR terminal at Atlantic Ave/Barclays Center which is a quick and very do-able walk to Jay St- just about a mile. Or hop on the 2/3 to Hoyt or 4/5 to Borough Hall if you don't wanna walk. I think you may be confused- It's on Flatbush, but not IN Flatbush.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:47 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post
..there's a LIRR terminal at Atlantic Ave/Barclays Center which is a quick and very do-able walk to Jay St- just about a mile. Or hop on the 2/3 to Hoyt or 4/5 to Borough Hall if you don't wanna walk. I think you may be confused- It's on Flatbush, but not IN Flatbush.
Knew there was a Flatbush involved somewhere! *LOL*

Thanks for the correction.

Still I'd rather take my chances with NJT or driving then LIRR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City