Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 05:08 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times

Advertisements

At 3:45AM I was woken up by my apartment's outside/downstairs intercom door buzzer. I assumed someone made a mistake as then I hear my upstairs neighbor's buzzer (due to the thin ceiling/floor). This goes on for a while and finally it stops (so I assume the person come in the bldg.). Approx. 5 minutes later I start hearing someone pounding on the door of the apt. above me. This too goes on for a while until finally I hear some shouting going on in the hallway. My assumption is that this pounding woke up one the neighbors next door (on the floor above) as it is in the corridor at a very early hour of the morning. After this stops and all is quiet for some minutes again my outdoor intercom buzzer rings loudly for a moment (another mistake?!) and then I hear intercom buzzer ringing on and off very softly. My assumption that the person is ringing the upstairs person but the way they are pressing on the bell it is also ringing mine slightly. This also goes for quite a while. When the person finally gives up, I keep hearing a muffled noise on and off coming upstairs which sounds like a phone ringing. This goes on until just after 6AM. Then again my door buzzer is rung for a moment (obviously this person doesn't know how to aim their finger!). After a few minutes I hear someone walking up the open stairwell which on my side of the building and then I hear a male voice on the stairs talking loudly to someone upstairs about being outside (or something to that effect).

So my question what would you have done in this situation and would you do anything as a result of this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 06:54 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
I would have been tempted to call the police. I know I would have had my ear to the wall trying to figure out what the heck was going on.

You don't mean someone was on the fire escape do you? I take it you don't know the upstairs neighbor well enough to ask what was going on.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:13 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,622,052 times
I'd post online about it, try to find some answers.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:46 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
I would have called the police.

It's over now. There is nothing you can do.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:52 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strate L O S S View Post
I'd post online about it, try to find some answers.
lol post on yahoo answerz or yelp. Very popular amongst Williamsburg and East Vilage crowd.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:15 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,817,229 times
there's no other option then to call the cops. you should have

Old 02-16-2014, 09:41 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
At 3:45AM I was woken up by my apartment's outside/downstairs intercom door buzzer. I assumed someone made a mistake as then I hear my upstairs neighbor's buzzer (due to the thin ceiling/floor). This goes on for a while and finally it stops (so I assume the person come in the bldg.). Approx. 5 minutes later I start hearing someone pounding on the door of the apt. above me. This too goes on for a while until finally I hear some shouting going on in the hallway. My assumption is that this pounding woke up one the neighbors next door (on the floor above) as it is in the corridor at a very early hour of the morning. After this stops and all is quiet for some minutes again my outdoor intercom buzzer rings loudly for a moment (another mistake?!) and then I hear intercom buzzer ringing on and off very softly. My assumption that the person is ringing the upstairs person but the way they are pressing on the bell it is also ringing mine slightly. This also goes for quite a while. When the person finally gives up, I keep hearing a muffled noise on and off coming upstairs which sounds like a phone ringing. This goes on until just after 6AM. Then again my door buzzer is rung for a moment (obviously this person doesn't know how to aim their finger!). After a few minutes I hear someone walking up the open stairwell which on my side of the building and then I hear a male voice on the stairs talking loudly to someone upstairs about being outside (or something to that effect).

So my question what would you have done in this situation and would you do anything as a result of this situation?

I would have asked them how they liked the wine they had with dinner. If you have not figured out that there are lot of inconsiderate jerks in this city who do not care about anybody else and feel that they are entitled to do what ever they dam well please then you just have not been in the city long enough. If you see who you think is the offending neighbor I would ask them about it but I would expect a full denial of the situation.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:50 AM

156 posts, read 285,685 times
Happened to me a number of years ago. Ringing my bell at 2 or so, I answer, "Who is it?" and get no coherent answer, saying he was Maria's boyfriend. I knew no Maria, which didn't mean there wasn't one. But I wasn't about to ring him in. Kept happening. My fiancé shouted back, "Stop ringing this bell" eventually. Still kept happening, so I called NYPD. They came and got the guy both then they brought him to MY DOOR and had me look at him. This made me very unhappy, because if he wanted revenge, he now knew who I was and in which apartment. Cops said he was really high, so I guess he couldn't remember any of this when/if he was no longer high. But it scared me. Thank heaven my fiancé was there that night, and he was not small even at the time.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:18 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalou View Post
Happened to me a number of years ago. Ringing my bell at 2 or so, I answer, "Who is it?" and get no coherent answer, saying he was Maria's boyfriend. I knew no Maria, which didn't mean there wasn't one. But I wasn't about to ring him in. Kept happening. My fiancé shouted back, "Stop ringing this bell" eventually. Still kept happening, so I called NYPD. They came and got the guy both then they brought him to MY DOOR and had me look at him. This made me very unhappy, because if he wanted revenge, he now knew who I was and in which apartment. Cops said he was really high, so I guess he couldn't remember any of this when/if he was no longer high. But it scared me. Thank heaven my fiancé was there that night, and he was not small even at the time.
Yes, I was tempted to call the police. But now after reading your post, I am glad that I didn't.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:19 AM

581 posts, read 1,244,249 times
They do that in my building as well. Its like they press every buzzer hoping someone will open the door.

More importantly, how de hell these Jehovah Witness people get in the building and bothering me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City