Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 08:42 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,608,105 times

Advertisements

I think Windsor Terrace is still a bit cheaper than Park Slope. It also borders the park. There aren't as many bars and restaurants, but it's in walking distance of Park Slope. The architecture's nothing special, but it's not unattractive. I believe the schools are good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 10:00 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,226,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I don't know what it's like to live in Riverdale but I lived in Forest Hills for some years and the longer I lived there, the more I disliked it. It's not a terrible neighborhood but not very inspiring either. Most of the apartments are in the north side of Queens Blvd. yet the better amenities are on the south side in Austin. More likely they will have to cross QB frequently which is not a very pleasing experience. Even from Parker Towers, one would have to cross Yellowstone to get to the commercial area. The E and F subways are notoriously packed in the rush hours and the local R is unacceptably slow. I also found myself driving to Flushing, Rego Park and Long Island to get a lot of things like better quality groceries, apparel, etc.

I still visit brownstone Brooklyn occasionally (Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill) and there is a big difference with respect to the quality of local shops, dining, groceries, ease of commute etc. and that is probably why such areas command a higher price.
I agree with your observations on Forest Hills. But personally, if I were married, I would put up with its shortcomings to save $1,000/month.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:32 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,187,990 times
Just cause OP is married and having a kid doesn't mean they need to discard all those things they enjoy in life just to live a cheaper life style. OP you only live one life, as long as you can afford a place in a neighborhood you like and can still care for your family. live where you will enjoy living.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:04 AM

31 posts, read 43,249 times
A lot of good points to think about.

rubygreta, well, I think I understand the prices much better now. Our friends proposed us an apartment in Gravesend, Avenue U. 2BR for $2,400. It has 1,100 sq. ft., from photos I can say that probably Madonna would even want to live there It's gorgeous, beautiful, outstanding, rockstar-ready apartment. But the area around is not that great, I work in midtown and commute time will be around an hour. So yeah, we have to decide.

Edited: not that great == ..there is no "puke" smile

Last edited by cooli0; 02-17-2014 at 12:20 AM..

Old 02-17-2014, 12:10 AM

31 posts, read 43,249 times
livingsinglenyc, you read my mind. Me and my wife are NOT trying to survive. We want to live. And of course having a kid should not be a blocker for our personal preferences like go out together and have some fun. So that's why we want comfortable apt in a pleasant neighborhood for relatively low price. My wife wants to live in a luxury building with all those amenities, but such buildings either cost too much or location sux :-/

Old 02-17-2014, 02:47 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,311,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooli0 View Post
A lot of good points to think about.

rubygreta, well, I think I understand the prices much better now. Our friends proposed us an apartment in Gravesend, Avenue U. 2BR for $2,400. It has 1,100 sq. ft., from photos I can say that probably Madonna would even want to live there It's gorgeous, beautiful, outstanding, rockstar-ready apartment. But the area around is not that great, I work in midtown and commute time will be around an hour. So yeah, we have to decide.

Edited: not that great == ..there is no "puke" smile

If you're considering places like Gravesend, you might as well consider places like Bay Ridge too. Very much a family (but both young and old) place. Lots of stores/shopping/restaurants/etc. You can easily find a two bedroom for less than $2,400, which sounds like a lot for Gravesend.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:16 AM

445 posts, read 1,443,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
If you're considering places like Gravesend, you might as well consider places like Bay Ridge too. Very much a family (but both young and old) place. Lots of stores/shopping/restaurants/etc. You can easily find a two bedroom for less than $2,400, which sounds like a lot for Gravesend.
That's a good point. My daughter and her boyfriend are moving from Washington Heights to Bay Ridge at the end of the month. They will be paying way less in rent ($1350 for a large 1BR as opposed to $2200 for a small 2BR). He is going to have an awful commute, though - over an hour to where he works in the Bronx. But he really wants to pay down his student loan debt so he's up for it. I will be glad to have them back in Brooklyn. It's sad that they can't afford to live in my neighborhood (Boerum Hill) or any of the other brownstone neighborhoods but that's just reality these days. Bay Ridge is a nice neighborhood - not the hippest in the world (actually, that's a plus - no hipsters!).

Old 02-17-2014, 06:34 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,984,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooli0 View Post
We moved to NY less than a year ago and not familiar with areas at all. Never been to Prospect Heights. I heard that Astoria is similar to Park Slope, but I looked through Google Maps Street View and it's absolutely different. Is that right ?

It is absolutely different....in this city you get what you pay for. Park Slope-Brooklyn Heights-Cobble Hill are all going to have prices to rival where you are. There is an old saying that "with a beer budget you can not support champagne tastes"===in other words you can want those things all day long but it is not your game it is theirs. Just take the top of your budget what ever it is and then look at everything in that price range rather than going in with a list of must haves that will not be supported by the budget.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:35 AM

43,303 posts, read 44,021,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
I agree with your observations on Forest Hills. But personally, if I were married, I would put up with its shortcomings to save $1,000/month.
I agree and I would add Rego Park (next to Forest Hills) to that list for someone renting with a baby.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:04 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,811,742 times
There is a section in rego park that *might* be acceptable and better than forest hills - the one near the strip at 108th st and 64th ave. (esp the apartments near 66th & 108th) At least there, there are no dangerous sts to cross frequently and there are playgrounds as well as activities for wife and baby at central queens Y. But amenities there are not at same caliber as brownstone brooklyn and lots of Jewish places that are closed on Saturdays. They will also have to drive out for decent dining. Also far from subway but there is QM express bus, and no nearby good private schools but that is not an immediate concern of OP. I would stay away from 63rd drive near queens blvd despite the subway.

That said someone coming from Chelsea may be in for a big adjustment there.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 02-17-2014 at 07:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City