Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 10:28 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,043,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Yeah it's hardcore over there. If you live in Seagate, and you're going to have visitors, you need to call down to the gate operators and let them know, or they won't get in. My grandmother used to live there, even though she's not Jewish. Nice place, but a bit too xenophobic. There's no supermarket inside Seagate, no bars, no diners, etc... so what do you do? You leave the gate and go to shop in the black/Hispanic "slummy" part of Coney Island... you know, among the people you've got a barbed wire fence to keep out of your hood.

and you wonder why?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 10:59 AM

39 posts, read 86,456 times
Is Sheepshead Bay still mainly a Russian/Ukrainian Jewish community or are there Slavic Russians and Ukrainians now in the area too? I hear that non-Jewish Russians and Ukrainians still don't exist in Sheepshead Bay or other nearby areas of South Brooklyn.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:21 AM

929 posts, read 1,652,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splintercel091 View Post
Is Sheepshead Bay still mainly a Russian/Ukrainian Jewish community or are there Slavic Russians and Ukrainians now in the area too? I hear that non-Jewish Russians and Ukrainians still don't exist in Sheepshead Bay or other nearby areas of South Brooklyn.
Manhattan Beach is more Jewish than Sheepshead.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:29 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,608,687 times
Quote:
This is the same as your original post, and your other two posts before that asking the exact same question. What are you doing?

Old 02-20-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
This is the same as your original post, and your other two posts before that asking the exact same question. What are you doing?
The other threads were about Brighton Beach, not Sheepshead Bay so please get you facts straight and stop bullying other users.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
The other threads were about Brighton Beach, not Sheepshead Bay so please get you facts straight and stop bullying other users.
I'm not bullying, I'm curious. Why are you so interested in this one question? Do you hope to get one particular answer or another? Why?

Old 02-20-2014, 11:53 AM

23,709 posts, read 30,608,708 times
Quote:
Why are you trolling about Jews. A persons religion makes no difference if the are born in Russia. Sheepshead Bay is a large area where the highest concentration is near Emmons Ave. Russians like living near the water, hence in Brighton Beach they live within two blocks of the Ocean. The further away the lower the concentrations. You might as well ask about Coney Island, Seagate and Manhattan Beach as you will get the same exact responses.

Does stating they are all Caucasians aid you in any way to answer your query?

Old 02-20-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Why are you trolling about Jews. A persons religion makes no difference if the are born in Russia. Sheepshead Bay is a large area where the highest concentration is near Emmons Ave. Russians like living near the water, hence in Brighton Beach they live within two blocks of the Ocean. The further away the lower the concentrations. You might as well ask about Coney Island, Seagate and Manhattan Beach as you will get the same exact responses.

Does stating they are all Caucasians aid you in any way to answer your query?
I was wondering this myself. I've known Russian Jews who considered themselves Russian (and Jewish). Do Russian Jews not consider themselves "ethnically" Russian, whatever that means? Do other Russians not consider them ethnically Russian?

Old 02-20-2014, 12:09 PM

929 posts, read 1,652,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
I was wondering this myself. I've known Russian Jews who considered themselves Russian (and Jewish). Do Russian Jews not consider themselves "ethnically" Russian, whatever that means? Do other Russians not consider them ethnically Russian?
Right on both counts from what I've always heard. "Real" Russians hate being compared to Odessa Jews.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:14 PM

Ethnic Russians and Ukrainians are different from the Russian and Ukrainian Jews that came first, so therefore Russian and Ukrainian Jews are not Slavic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City