Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 12:14 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times

Advertisements

No! No! No! No Fort Lee to Far Rockaway. Your wife will not survive.

What you really need is a location that is commutable to Montefiore and Far Rockaway, which is somewhere in the borough of Queens. With well over 2,000,000 people, there must be a Japanese community and Japanese school somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 01:29 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Scarsdale, which is an affluent close-in suburb in lower Westchester county, has a significant Japanese community IIRC and very strong schools. But stiff housing prices too. It would be relatively short drive from there to Montefiore in the Bronx. Unfortunately, driving from there to Far Rockaway is just not a realistic everyday drive. Nothing is really near Far Rockaway. I think the best suggestioin is that you live someplace where one of you can drive, the other takes public transit, and let the kids find their Japanese cultural fix on the weekends.

I'd also suggest somewhere in Central Queens, or maybe if you cand find somewhere that fits your budgget, lower Manhattan, where subways going to both Brooklyn and the Bronx are in close proximity

Old 02-21-2014, 01:40 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMaru View Post
Thanks everyone this exactly the information I've been looking for. The only reason for looking at Fort Lee was the daycare and schools in the area. Wifey is adamant they are fluent in Japanese as they grow up which I'm fine with.

So for my wife she is seriously considering driving from Fort Lee to Far Rockaway where she will be working. I've been mentioning she may want to reconsider this. Tolls alone add up to thousands per year if I'm not mistaken.

Again thank you all for the information.
That's insane to drive from Fort Lee to Far Rockaway - your best bet is to look at neighborhoods along the Clearview Expressway in Queens. This way she can take the Clearview to the Cross Island to Brookville Blvd, then go through 5 Towns to Far Rockaway, and you have a straight shot to the Bronx on the Clearview via Throgs Neck Br. Clearview & Cross Island = way less traffic than the Van Wyck.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-21-2014, 09:35 PM

28 posts, read 66,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMaru View Post
Thanks everyone this exactly the information I've been looking for. The only reason for looking at Fort Lee was the daycare and schools in the area. Wifey is adamant they are fluent in Japanese as they grow up which I'm fine with.

So for my wife she is seriously considering driving from Fort Lee to Far Rockaway where she will be working. I've been mentioning she may want to reconsider this. Tolls alone add up to thousands per year if I'm not mistaken.

Again thank you all for the information.
Forest Hills, Queens should be able to work out both of you. Yes, there is a Japanese community in Forest Hills, a small Japanese supermarket as well, but no Japanese school. Japanese families send their kids to Japanese weekend schools either in Fresh Meadow, Queens or Port Washington, Long Island. BTW, You need to pay a broker fee for rental, most of the rental apt. only show by brokers. Good Luck.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:03 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:

So for my wife she is seriously considering driving from Fort Lee to Far
Rockaway where she will be working.

No, no, no, no, NO.
She will commit seppuku before year's end if she tries that.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:07 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
I wouldn't wish those commutes on anyone! Also food for thought since you are moving here are you gonna have any family or friends close? What happened if a child is sick or the need to leave school early, you both have lengthy commutes home from work. Maybe you should choose an area semi close to one persons job and the other will have to deal with a longer commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City