Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 12:59 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,556 times

Advertisements

Relocated to New York City and work in Manhattan?

What is it like to work for corporate America in Manhattan? (Yes, generalize!!)

I went to the top of the Empire State Building and looked out at the sea of high rises and wondered what life was like for the workers in those buildings in comparison to the office parks in a generic City or Suburb in fly over country.

Are the offices dog eat dog? Or friendly? Competitive? Or easy Going? What type of hours are the people working? What are your coworkers like?

(PLEASE.... Don't tell me you can't generalize and it depends. Generalize!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 01:04 PM

897 posts, read 1,252,594 times
Its just day to day in those offices really. Our minds are incapable of seeing past our own little circles anyway so each of us just goes on with his/her life. We don't spend enough time pondering the small pond our office is compared to the insane amounts of other offices and buildings in NYC.

I worked in a small office in Denver, and an office on 530 5th avenue in Midtown Manhattan - the feeling is the same: you come to work, get your coffee, sit down read some city-data , get some work done, some meetings, lunch with coworkers or by yourself, afternoon coffee, getting more work done. Then I walked to the bus ignoring everyone and everything, got on - read my book - got off by home, walked home ***insert family stuff here***, sleep, then rinse and repeat.

Nobody will care about you except your closest coworkers anyway, so it's really not that different than any other office.

With ALL THAT SAID - it depends. I can't generalize

Old 02-20-2014, 01:04 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,955 times
You work like a dog. Your co-workers truly hate you and want to eat you alive. You commute there in a wretched subway system which smells worse than a sewer.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:05 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,939 times
Is your next thread going to be "What's it like to live in an apartment"

Seriously it's an office just like any office you've ever been in.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:13 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,617,654 times
I think corporate offices are the same everywhere.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:23 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,183 times
Its totally like in the movies and TV series. Crazy, zany, very colorful characters because it is NYC.

/end sarcasm. It is same everywhere. I worked in NJ, Long Island, NYC, other states (for consulting jobs) and it is exactly same. Office Space probably best depicts corporate life in USA ...just that the technology is from 90s. Replace the tech with modern stuff but its pretty much same stuff.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:34 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times
really depends on the company you work for

I have a beautiful view out of my office. I sometimes forget it is even there

Old 02-21-2014, 03:48 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,556 times
Please generalize!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
really depends on the company you work for

i have a beautiful view out of my office. I sometimes forget it is even there

Old 02-21-2014, 04:03 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,077,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Please generalize!
you screen name is I'm retired now.. so if you are truly retired why do you care?? Some people need outdoor hobbies...

Old 02-21-2014, 01:41 PM

77 posts, read 133,718 times
I've lived in 6 states and 2 countries. Highrises and offices don't have "magical" qualities in Manhattan that they don't in other cities. Midtown Manhattan is the largest central business district in the United States, and one of (if not the single) largest in the world. Do you really believe it's possible to generalize about a massive, diverse, ultra-complex environment like that? To draw similarities between the culture of the senior executive floor at the JP Morgan Chase world HQ office to the small office of a nonprofit press? Really?

Furthermore, I'm a consultant, so I've been in many different New York office environments. Some where folks work minimum 70-hour weeks; some where folks have beer in the office on Friday at 2 and are out the door at 3. Some where you're out of place unless you're wearing a tie and French cuffs; some where the CEO wears flip flops to the office in summer. No broad generalization is possible. Sorry.

If I could say anything in general, it would be that 1) Our views are generally pretty awesome compared to much of the nation and 2) Our buildings are often older, particularly in comparison to Southern and Western cities. That's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Relocated to New York City and work in Manhattan?

What is it like to work for corporate America in Manhattan? (Yes, generalize!!)

I went to the top of the Empire State Building and looked out at the sea of high rises and wondered what life was like for the workers in those buildings in comparison to the office parks in a generic City or Suburb in fly over country.

Are the offices dog eat dog? Or friendly? Competitive? Or easy Going? What type of hours are the people working? What are your coworkers like?

(PLEASE.... Don't tell me you can't generalize and it depends. Generalize!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: