Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 02:12 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,993,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Certain cities like Singapore use caning and they have much lower crime rates than New York. Would it be better for NY to allow caning?

Caning in Singapore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know that's impossible under the current climate, but if you think about it, it might be better. If you caned criminals as opposed to relying on long jail sentences, you could save taxpayers money.

Caning in Singapore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Why do you keep posting this stuff in this forum?

You live in LOS ANGELES. There is MORE crime there, than here.

Why don't you pose this ridiculousness to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 02:17 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,818,099 times
Why use caning when there is gentrification?

Old 02-21-2014, 03:10 PM

15 posts, read 26,974 times
Quote:
Would it be better for NY to allow caning?
I don't know. Would caning trolls like you reduce BS on this board?

Old 02-21-2014, 08:47 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,678,667 times
I am for executing criminals for all but the most petty crimes. Anything violent, sexual, or with a gun. Only things like, say... Jaywalking, you live.

Littering, you are dead!

We keep getting more and more permissive, let's try my way for ten years and reevaluate.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:31 PM

5,028 posts, read 4,907,277 times
[quote=LLN;33582065]I am for executing criminals for all but the most petty crimes. Anything violent, sexual, or with a gun. Only things like, say... Jaywalking, you live.

Littering, you are dead!

We keep getting more and more permissive, let's try my way for ten years and reevaluate.[/
while it sounds extreme, you do have a good point. the criminal laws are kind of too soft and humane in many "civilized" countries, which causes crowded prisons supported by tax payers. ppl like bernie mudoff should be hung 100times instead of being kept low lives of that kind in an airconditioned cell.

when it comes to law and order, there is something to be learned from the islamic countries. all those malicious perps do not deserve a 2nd chance at the cost of peace loving citizens.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:35 PM

2,677 posts, read 1,690,903 times
Not a smart idea.

I think the reverse would happen.

Crime, civil disturbances would INCREASE.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:40 PM

18,888 posts, read 13,776,530 times
We definitely underuse the death penalty to a disgusting degree. Firing squads are cheap, effective punishment for those whose existence is pointless to society.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:29 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,849,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
We definitely underuse the death penalty to a disgusting degree. Firing squads are cheap, effective punishment for those whose existence is pointless to society.
In the colonial days, you did not have long term jail sentences in the US. For serious crimes you got the death penalty. For lesser crimes, you got beaten. Some societies still work like this. Long term prison was seen as a waste of resources (you have to feed, clothe, and take care of the prisoners).

The Quakers pushed hard for reforms in the US and they were successful. They mostly eliminated the death penalty and public beatings. While they may be more "humane" it lead the entire US to have the largest prison population in the world. The US has 5% of the world's population, but 25% of the world's prisoners.

Having such a large prison population/underclass does not do well for society.

Really, beating a person is a painful form of punishment that's briefly over and the person can go back to work, has no permanent record, etc. Sending someone to jail gives them a criminal record that destroys their chances at finding a job or maybe even housing.

The people on this forum got angry at a landlord for wanting to rent out to a convict who had a murder conviction. So if people can't stand the idea of someone renting out a residence to a former convict, perhaps the society should use a combination of physical punishment (caning, electroshock) for lessor offenses, and for serious offenses consider the death penalty.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:36 AM

384 posts, read 510,713 times
I think the premise of this thread is wrong. In Singapore the sentence is never just caning, but caning along with a prison sentence.

Lower crime rates in Singapore are probably due to a combination of corporal punishment, harsh prison sentences, and, most importantly, greater cultural homogeneity than many Western countries.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:11 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,216,849 times
I will never visit places like Singapore etc. Apalling. They might throw you in a hole for life. Don't expect any intervention from US. As days go by the more i start to hate countries like this. Not the everyday ppl of these totalitarian states but the leadership that torments and enslaves them. Disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City