U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-22-2014, 05:45 AM
 
32,037 posts, read 32,830,916 times
Reputation: 14920

Advertisements

So I am on my 3rd old fridge in a rent stabilized apt. The former fridges died and each time I got a newer old fridge. In the past, I had very little food in my fridge. But I just stocked up as I don't to go grocery shopping next week in the bad weather. Does the landlord have an obligation to reimburse me if the food goes bad and the fridge isn't repaired or replaced promptly? Is is possible to ask the landlord to get a new fridge without upping the rent? How long is considered reasonable for this situation to be dealt with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-22-2014, 06:05 AM
 
2,503 posts, read 3,639,709 times
Reputation: 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
So I am on my 3rd old fridge in a rent stabilized apt. The former fridges died and each time I got a newer old fridge. In the past, I had very little food in my fridge. But I just stocked up as I don't to go grocery shopping next week in the bad weather. Does the landlord have an obligation to reimburse me if the food goes bad and the fridge isn't repaired or replaced promptly? Is is possible to ask the landlord to get a new fridge without upping the rent? How long is considered reasonable for this situation to be dealt with?
By law, the LL can either offer you a used refrigerator for free or a new one at a permanent rent increase of 1/40 or 1/60 the cost depending on your building size. Usually the rent increase is between $10-$20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2014, 01:27 PM
 
32,037 posts, read 32,830,916 times
Reputation: 14920
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
By law, the LL can either offer you a used refrigerator for free or a new one at a permanent rent increase of 1/40 or 1/60 the cost depending on your building size. Usually the rent increase is between $10-$20.
Thanks for the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2014, 03:23 PM
 
20,539 posts, read 13,568,197 times
Reputation: 14201
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
By law, the LL can either offer you a used refrigerator for free or a new one at a permanent rent increase of 1/40 or 1/60 the cost depending on your building size. Usually the rent increase is between $10-$20.
Not entirely true.

LL can offer an old unit *if* they can lay hands on one. Otherwise they must provide new, scratch and dent or whatever but the tenant *must* have a fridge if that is part of their lease. Otherwise the tenant can claim a reduction in services.

What some tenants have done is simply tell the LL to get lost and purchase their own fridge. Then either sell or whatever when or if they ever move out.

A friend of ours got tried of their LL stiffing them with energy hungry and very old ACs that kept breaking down LL kept saying they would give her new if she agreed to a rent increase, which she would not for good reason (the increase remains long after the appliance is paid off). So she simply found a NIB unit on eBay and installed. LL told her that "there was an AC when you moved in therefore there must be one when you leave...." To which her attorney sent them a letter detailing all the drama of successive second hand units that kept breaking down. LL then told the super of building to take the old broken unit into the basement and sign a receipt that he did so.


The woman also has told family and friends should something happen (death) and they come to claim her belongings the AC is part of that deal. If they cannot or do not wish to shift, then destroy.

You can find probably much better fridge on eBay or Craigslist in new or nearly new condition than what your LL is offering second hand. Worse comes to the worse there is PC Richards or Best Buy... again when you move either take the thing, sell it on, give it away or if you feel charitable leave it there for the next tenant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2014, 05:24 AM
 
32,037 posts, read 32,830,916 times
Reputation: 14920
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Not entirely true.

LL can offer an old unit *if* they can lay hands on one. Otherwise they must provide new, scratch and dent or whatever but the tenant *must* have a fridge if that is part of their lease. Otherwise the tenant can claim a reduction in services.

What some tenants have done is simply tell the LL to get lost and purchase their own fridge. Then either sell or whatever when or if they ever move out.

A friend of ours got tried of their LL stiffing them with energy hungry and very old ACs that kept breaking down LL kept saying they would give her new if she agreed to a rent increase, which she would not for good reason (the increase remains long after the appliance is paid off). So she simply found a NIB unit on eBay and installed. LL told her that "there was an AC when you moved in therefore there must be one when you leave...." To which her attorney sent them a letter detailing all the drama of successive second hand units that kept breaking down. LL then told the super of building to take the old broken unit into the basement and sign a receipt that he did so.


The woman also has told family and friends should something happen (death) and they come to claim her belongings the AC is part of that deal. If they cannot or do not wish to shift, then destroy.

You can find probably much better fridge on eBay or Craigslist in new or nearly new condition than what your LL is offering second hand. Worse comes to the worse there is PC Richards or Best Buy... again when you move either take the thing, sell it on, give it away or if you feel charitable leave it there for the next tenant.
Good to know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2014, 06:28 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
21,401 posts, read 28,196,671 times
Reputation: 9695
Quote:
Then either sell or whatever when or if they ever move out.

I bought a beautiful big White-Westinghouse for a rent controlled apartment for $600. I moved to a "luxury" place, small "l", with a new fridge 6 months later and sold my new fridge for $250. I could have taken mine with me but then I'd have replacement on my own head.
While in the new place they replaced 3 fridges with new ones so I made the right decision but boy did I hate tossing away $350. The old small piece of crap one would have been fine for 6 more months, but who knew.

I bought a chest freezer for the new apartment and kept it a decade. I replaced it to get a more efficient model and AGAIN I got an apartment offer "I could not refuse" so I moved again and GAVE AWAY the new freezer...no room for it. Screwed again.

My advice: If the landlord will give you a refrigerator, TAKE IT. Don't throw your money away unless you have an apartment deal you know you will keep for 20 years...only THEN buy a beautiful stainless steel double door model with a freezer you could fit two Mafiosi in,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2014, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,438 posts, read 34,503,562 times
Reputation: 8314
Why don't you buy a new fridge for the apartment and have the LL deduct it from your rent?
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2014, 12:00 PM
 
20,539 posts, read 13,568,197 times
Reputation: 14201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I bought a beautiful big White-Westinghouse for a rent controlled apartment for $600. I moved to a "luxury" place, small "l", with a new fridge 6 months later and sold my new fridge for $250. I could have taken mine with me but then I'd have replacement on my own head.
While in the new place they replaced 3 fridges with new ones so I made the right decision but boy did I hate tossing away $350. The old small piece of crap one would have been fine for 6 more months, but who knew.

I bought a chest freezer for the new apartment and kept it a decade. I replaced it to get a more efficient model and AGAIN I got an apartment offer "I could not refuse" so I moved again and GAVE AWAY the new freezer...no room for it. Screwed again.

My advice: If the landlord will give you a refrigerator, TAKE IT. Don't throw your money away unless you have an apartment deal you know you will keep for 20 years...only THEN buy a beautiful stainless steel double door model with a freezer you could fit two Mafiosi in,

Am sorry, but your response has nothing to do with modern reality.

First of all it is highly unlikely anyone is giving the OP a $600/RC apartment nor any of the other "deals" that were too good for you to pass up in your day. Just finding a RS apartment at a decent rent is a miracle in itself.

Landlords will *give* tenants anything, but that does not always solve the problem. The OP is on her/his *THIRD* busted/broken down/some kind of piece of refrigerator. What do you think the odds are this tenant will get anything else but the same? How many times is she/he supposed to deal with spoilt food or simply give up and accept not having a decent or even working appliance?

This is not the 1920's, 1950's or even the 1970's where persons can pick up and move because "deals" keep dropping into their lap.

As for RS tenants purchasing their own appliances the law is clear:


"If an appliance provided by your landlord breaks or stops working, it is your landlord's responsibility to repair or replace that appliance.
For unregulated tenants (whose apartments are not rent-stabilized, rent controlled, or covered by government regulation) your landlord is responsible for the cost of repair or replacement, unless the request goes beyond repair or replacement with an equivalent unit (in which case it is a negotiation.)
If you live in a rent stabilized or rent controlled apartment, you have the following options if the appliance cannot be repaired:
  • no rent increase for a used working appliance, or
  • a permanent rent increase for a new appliance
Alternately, you can offer to purchase and pay for a new appliance yourself, but you must first obtain written permission from your landlord. (Your landlord may refuse.)" source: Your Options When An Appliance Breaks | Metropolitan Council on Housing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2014, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
21,401 posts, read 28,196,671 times
Reputation: 9695
Quote:
This is not the 1920's, 1950's or even the 1970's where persons can pick up and
move because "deals" keep dropping into their lap.

Though I can only speak for myself, MY last move was in the last week of 2010. And that is when I tossed out my lovely new high efficiency freezer.

But moving from one relatively new GE refrigerator to another new GE refrigerator without dragging from state to state made the move slightly less horrific.
Owning a refrigerator is not really a good option for renters, the damned things are too big and heavy. And throwing them away is not good for the wallet.

Now that I own my apartment (with a new fridge) I will buy the next one and it will be a beauty, but I hope not for a while...and then they can bury me in it, or just keep me frozen.

Hey, anyone who has not found a DEAL since the '70's is just not looking, doesn't care, or has a trust fund like Prince William.

I repeat, unless you are reasonably sure of staying in a rental apartment for a long, long time, don't buy a fridge.

Last edited by Kefir King; 02-24-2014 at 08:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2014, 09:31 AM
 
1,060 posts, read 1,647,067 times
Reputation: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
So I am on my 3rd old fridge in a rent stabilized apt. The former fridges died and each time I got a newer old fridge. In the past, I had very little food in my fridge. But I just stocked up as I don't to go grocery shopping next week in the bad weather. Does the landlord have an obligation to reimburse me if the food goes bad and the fridge isn't repaired or replaced promptly? Is is possible to ask the landlord to get a new fridge without upping the rent? How long is considered reasonable for this situation to be dealt with?

1. NO

2. MAYBE

3. ONE WEEK

If you are getting used fridges I would mention this to the landlord and have a real discussion about it. The fact that the apt is rent stabilized works in his favor not yours since the costs do not figure into the rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top