Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2014, 05:15 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times

Advertisements

I came across some listings on Apartments for Rent - Nationwide Apartment Finder | Apartments.com when I did a search for rentals in The Bronx. Here's the link---I hope it works, as it is long. If the link doesn't work, I got there through a Google search "Bronx, NY apartments for rent".

Apartments for Rent | Houses, Condos and Townhomes Rental Listings - Apartments.com

If this does work, I came across the following apartments. There are 108 listings. Here are the numbers I'm wondering about:

#24 Radcliff Ave. #25 Olinville Ave. #56 The Grand Concourse #86 Netherland Ave. #88 Mulford Ave.

If you are able to see these apartments on the apartments.com webpage, I would appreciate your opinion on the neighborhoods. I was able to rule out many rentals after looking at a detailed map.

Thank you so much. I appreciate the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 06:08 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I came across some listings on Apartments for Rent - Nationwide Apartment Finder | Apartments.com when I did a search for rentals in The Bronx. Here's the link---I hope it works, as it is long. If the link doesn't work, I got there through a Google search "Bronx, NY apartments for rent".

Apartments for Rent | Houses, Condos and Townhomes Rental Listings - Apartments.com

If this does work, I came across the following apartments. There are 108 listings. Here are the numbers I'm wondering about:

#24 Radcliff Ave. #25 Olinville Ave. #56 The Grand Concourse #86 Netherland Ave. #88 Mulford Ave.

If you are able to see these apartments on the apartments.com webpage, I would appreciate your opinion on the neighborhoods. I was able to rule out many rentals after looking at a detailed map.

Thank you so much. I appreciate the help!
The listings don't provide enough information because many of the streets are very long and run through different neighborhoods.An actual street number or cross street would be required to see what neighborhood each listing is in.
I live a few blocks from the southern end of Olinville Avenue and it's a very nice area but 10 or 15 blocks further North it's not so nice.The Grand Concourse is one of the longest streets in The Bronx and runs almost the entire length of the borough from South to North and goes through 10 or 12 neighborhoods.Some are pretty bad and some are ok.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:55 PM

Thank you, bluedog! I know how long The Grand Concourse is so I debated mentioning that listing. I didn't realize that Olinville Ave. is also a long road. Your info is very helpful and I do appreciate you taking the time to have a look at these listings.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:25 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
The Riverdale apartment is actually a very good deal, and is stabilized. Since she needs schools, that would be a very good consideration as the local schools are good. I would recommend looking at data for the local schools on insideschools.org and greatschools.org to find a good deal, assuming she is not going to use private schools. I would not reocmmend Olinville/Williamsbridge (neighborhood) for elementary schools, especially to newcomers to the city.

Insideschools.org: Your independent guide to NYC public schools

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

I would still check Westchester, specifically the Fleetwood section of Mount Vernon where there are some very good elementary schools. Middle and high schools are another matter, however, where many Fleetwood families use private schools, or move. She would be in budget for a 2BR+, and would save city resident income tax, while only being a few minutes from The Bronx. The South Side of Mount Vernon is a more challenging area, with high crime and social problems, hence the school performance tends to suffer, which happens when the elementary schools feed into combined MS/HS as Fleetwood does not have its own high school.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-23-2014, 09:51 PM

Once again, great info, bmwguydc! Thank you very much!

I'm going to pass along the info about the Netherlands Ave. apartment to her and tell her to act ASAP.

I will also poke around apartment listings in Mt. Vernon (Fleetwood section). If I find anything in her price range, I will post the info in the Westchester thread I have.

Thank you, also, for the school links!

Old 02-24-2014, 02:26 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
I didn't add in the NYS DOE search to the above post, sorry about that. If you have the address, the DOE can give you the zoned schools for that area: NYC Department of Education Maps

The biggest challenge she will have at the Netherland Avenue address will be parking, though she can find street parking without too much fuss, depending upon the time she returns from work. Generally, even in more densely populated areas of Riverdale, you can find a spot.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-24-2014, 07:36 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,319 times
You really need to go and spend some time in the neighborhood to get a true picture. Once she narrows it down she should visit it both day and night. You can't really tell anything from an internet posting or recommendations from anyone here. We all have different needs and these places have to meet your daughters needs not ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City