Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 04:36 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
This is just like when Bronx landlords burnt down their buildings back in the 70s/80s, except all they wanted was the insurance and nothing else to do with building.

History always finds a way of repeating itself in this city.
Well if you own a 10 unit apartment building in Williamsburg with an average RS rentroll of $1000 per unit, then at a market rate of $2500 per unit you're leaving $180,000 per year on the table. People have killed for much less, so it's a strong incentive for the least ethical landlords to commit such fraud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 04:47 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
If a building is declared uninhabitable the leases and technically null and void. The owner could sell to a developers who tears the building down and buildings something else. Or the building could be entirely gutted and the new apartments placed in there by the new owner will clearly go for far more than the previous rent stabilized apartments.
No, that is not technically correct. New York Tenants' Rights - Mary Ann Hallenborg - Google Books

Old 02-25-2014, 04:48 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Well if you own a 10 unit apartment building in Williamsburg with an average RS rentroll of $1000 per unit, then at a market rate of $2500 per unit you're leaving $180,000 per year on the table. People have killed for much less, so it's a strong incentive for the least ethical landlords to commit such fraud
I don't care what the new batch of unscrupulous landlords current reasons are for doing it.

I'm just bringing up deja vu all over again.

I would say more, but I'll keep my private thoughts for my personal inner circle.

I do agree with a poster that said you shouldn't be allowed to pass apartments down to people as though it was private property. I think this is the only city where you can do that, but I have heard of certain rentals in LA being the same way.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I don't care what the new batch of unscrupulous landlords current reasons are for doing it.

I'm just bringing up deja vu all over again.

I would say more, but I'll keep my private thoughts for my personal inner circle.

I do agree with a poster that said you shouldn't be allowed to pass apartments down to people as though it was private property. I think this is the only city where you can do that, but I have heard of certain rentals in LA being the same way.
There is a very interesting case working its' way through federal courts regarding that last matter. Should lower court rulings hold it is going to blast a huge hole in New York's rent laws.

Pipe: Bankrupt Tenant May Bust Up Rent-Control System - Bloomberg View

Old 02-25-2014, 05:01 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
There is a very interesting case working its' way through federal courts regarding that last matter. Should lower court rulings hold it is going to blast a huge hole in New York's rent laws.

Pipe: Bankrupt Tenant May Bust Up Rent-Control System - Bloomberg View
Quote:
Santiago wouldn’t be thrown out on the street -- the deal includes a nonstabilized lease that will let her live out the rest of her life in the apartment at a similar rent to the $700 a month she is paying now. However, under the new lease, her tenancy rights would not pass to her 50-year-old son upon her death, as the rent-stabilized lease would.
I 100% agree with this.

I understand the reasons WHY these laws were created. NYC landlords many years ago were evil human beings that cared for no one or anything. Entire families would be thrown out in the middle of winter from some slum tenement shivering on the street begging for food. No one wants to bring up this part of why the laws are so crazy.

Actually, it wasn't until I left NYC that I realized that the rest of the country didn't operate this way. You could not 'pass down your lease' nor will housing courts work with you to pay your rent if the landlord wants you out.

I also believe in subsidized housing. Half this city cannot afford to pay market rent. Section 8 needs to make a comeback.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I 100% agree with this.

I understand the reasons WHY these laws were created. NYC landlords many years ago were evil human beings that cared for no one or anything. Entire families would be thrown out in the middle of winter from some slum tenement shivering on the street begging for food. No one wants to bring up this part of why the laws are so crazy.

Actually, it wasn't until I left NYC that I realized that the rest of the country didn't operate this way. You could not 'pass down your lease' nor will housing courts work with you to pay your rent if the landlord wants you out.

I also believe in subsidized housing. Half this city cannot afford to pay market rent. Section 8 needs to make a comeback.
Succession clauses/rights of RS apartments came about more to address "affordable housing" shortages, gay rights and other areas of how persons form families in NY than anything else. Market rate apartments do not always offer the extensive successor protections of RS leases. IIRC you may have rights there to get your spouse on the lease, but adult children, grandchildren etc... are another matter.

As for evictions, nonrenewal of leases and so forth again the protections for RS tenants are greater than market rate. If the latter does not want you in his or her building they only need not renew the lease. I've heard of persons being told soon as legally possible that their MR LL was *NOT* renewing their lease so they better start making other living arrangements.

Indeed it is the promise of automatic lease renewals and successor rights that the plaintiff and her son are more interested. Any sane and rationale person would take the offer the woman's LL is making. It is a win-win as they say; her debts will be paid plus a bit extra for herself, the rent on her apartment will legally remain what it is now for the rest of her life.... what is not to like? Well there is the matter of what happens to the son once his mother dies.

To be fair we are not speaking of some waif or child, but a fifty year old man. As lower courts have found who could remain then marry or shack up with someone and then pass that RS to said person or another family member. Long story short for the sake of protecting her son the woman wants to stiff her creditors instead.

Last edited by BugsyPal; 02-25-2014 at 05:23 PM..

Old 02-25-2014, 05:24 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
I 100% agree with this.

Real estate prices follow the market. Prices are high in NYC because of high demand. There are enough people willing and able to pay lots of money for prices to be high.

Since half of NYC wasn't even born in NYC, and a good portion of those born in NYC have parents from elsewhere, the government does not owe people money to live in NYC. No one is entitled to live in NYC.

And actually, if more people left NYC than moved in, prices would drop. Paying poor people government programs encourages them to stay when they cannot afford it, and that actually makes housing prices higher. The working class who make too much for Section 8 but who are nowhere near well off are made to suffer for it. Also, by having a huge base of poor people who are going to work either part time or off the books to keep government benefits, you're creating an oversupply of poor people. This ensures unskilled workers get very little money.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:28 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Indeed it is the promise of automatic lease renewals and successor rights that the plaintiff and her son are more interested. Any sane and rationale person would take the offer the woman's LL is making. It is a win-win as they say; her debts will be paid plus a bit extra for herself, the rent on her apartment will legally remain what it is now for the rest of her life.... what is not to like? Well there is the matter of what happens to the son once his mother dies.

To be fair we are not speaking of some waif or child, but a fifty year old man. As lower courts have found who could remain then marry or shack up with someone and then pass that RS to said person or another family member. Long story short for the sake of protecting her son the woman wants to stiff her creditors instead.
The woman's landlord was smart enough to contact her creditors and in federal courts throw a monkey wrench in the whole successor rights matter. So far the courts are siding with her creditors and her landlord.

The woman will lose. The federal courts are not interested in giving families multigenerational housing rights in NYC apartments. The landlord just gave other landlords a powerful weapon to get poor families OUT of rent controlled units.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
I have known renters that would make me want to quit the landlord biz

Old 02-25-2014, 05:34 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
OK, since when is there a demand for expensive apartments in Brownsville and Canarsie, and how did I miss that?

Brownstoner article:
“The market for housing has expanded enough that there’s a demand for expensive apartments even that far out [in Brownsville and Canarsie],” Gothamist quoted Cypress Hills Development Corporation tenant organizer Dubois Thomas as saying. “I see it coming down Bushwick Avenue toward East New York — I literally see it. It’s kind of scary.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: