Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 07:16 PM

107 posts, read 224,054 times

Advertisements

There was a Mcdonalds near the kings highway (Q, B) train station but it closed. There were several other stores that ended up moving over a block or 2. Does anyone know what happened? I loved the 3 stores there. 2 of those stores or ether a shorter walk or longer walk. As for Mcdonalds, they had such a good location. Near banks, near schools (I believe the farthest one was 4-5 blocks away). I don't understand why they closed that location and not some of the other ones. Again does anyone know what happened?

Someone told me that they we're bought off and its believe they are going to make a condo around there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 08:56 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
I don't have an solid answer but am surprised McDonald's closed. They were always crowded. I do know many new condos are going up but that seems like an odd place for it in that space. Maybe another franchise like chipotle or similar bought them out. Starbucks moved in last year on Kings highway, And they only go to places with high traffic that are growing. When did you see McD's closed? I walked by last week I recall and they were there still.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:05 AM

107 posts, read 224,054 times
I went by some time last week as I was going to work. That place been there when I was in 1st grade. My parents use to take me there all the time to get a cheeseburger.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:32 AM

Lots of changes over the years in that area. I remember Adlemann's, Crossroads saloon and the pizza place under the subway, All gone. I even remember Crazy Eddie had a large store where Mandee is now and the Movie theater on Coney Island ave though that was many Moons ago. Still a great area though with many stores, and pretty safe to walk around.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:32 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I do know many new condos are going up but that seems like an odd place for it in that space.

In the past I would have been surprised too---until they built that ridiculously oversized, overpriced condo building up in that area right across the street from the train.

The Venetian

Old 02-27-2014, 09:48 PM

650 posts, read 2,516,876 times
I would not be surprised.
Kings Highway west of the F train (early west streets) have more than a few new condo buildings

Old 02-28-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
In the past I would have been surprised too---until they built that ridiculously oversized, overpriced condo building up in that area right across the street from the train.

The Venetian
A friend who has lived there his whole life told me yesterday that whole block was going to undergo construction for residential properties. I also noticed most of the shops closed aside from McDonald's walking by last night. I agree it's easier to visualize now.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:19 AM

1 posts, read 4,167 times
I heard McDonald's is going to come back after renovation but not sure if that's true cause that's what Conway said also and eventually they closed also. I also heard that Modell or CVS will be there . ( like we need another pharmacy on kingshighway ) but will update if I get any info .

Old 04-15-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhan2014 View Post
I heard McDonald's is going to come back after renovation but not sure if that's true cause that's what Conway said also and eventually they closed also. I also heard that Modell or CVS will be there . ( like we need another pharmacy on kingshighway ) but will update if I get any info .
I agree, It's already over-saturated with pharmacies and a sporting goods store seems out of place to me. A nice diner would be good. I know there's one on the West side but it's a prime location for traffic returning home for work for getting some food.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:21 PM

898 posts, read 1,218,098 times
they closed on 23 feb of this year. i spoke to a guy at verizon and heard that a foot locker is coming to the mcdonalds spot. i doubt mcdonalds will return. i know rents have gone up dramatically on that prime block of real estate.

city living: YES i remember that overpriced condo development in the middle of nowhere with an eyesore right across the street - loads of graffitti everywhere. it's also near a public park that has drug dealers.

d. scott: yeah, i think that was "phil's pizza" right under the subway. it then became a pizza joint run by a non-italian from what i remember. if you walk a little before that pizza store, there was a small watch repair store. i wonder if it still exists. i don't bother to look when i get on the train. who wears a watch? your cellphone is a watch nowadays. the candy store nearby (previously ghazi convenience) also became smaller after renovation.

also, in this area, the main large entrance of the train station lost two major stores. that candy store which was great (24/7 too) as well as red rose photo. all for what? the MTA got nothing out of that. they just made the inside of the station larger, nothing more. makes no sense. two businesses shut down for no reason. also GNC is out of business too now, taken over by starbucks (just came in at end of 2013). i really miss that place.

kings highway just has TOO MANY banks. i think the average is one per block, not kidding. EBgames also went out of business a few years ago now replaced by a bank. madison florist had to move because vitamin shoppe took over. the rents are rising rapidly i am assuming. that's gotta be it.

Last edited by Hairy Guy; 04-16-2014 at 09:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City