Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 08:53 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,765,154 times

Advertisements

Rented a car in PA and was to take my first trip into NY city. Drove to local Walmart in PA and purchased an EZ pass and then registered on the spot. Added rental car and was off and running. EZ pass told to remove the rental car upon return and that all posted tolls would trickly though my account within 72 hours....... The pass worked fine though the PA tolls. As I got in NJ and then to NY, I noticed the toll both kept telling to "call service center" at each pass. Being a first time EZ pass customer, I didn't know what to think.

So I complete my trip to NY and knew I had ran up some tolls. I drove all over your fine city and over the bridges etc, etc....I return my rental and just to be safe waited a few days to call EZ pass and remove it.

A few days later I logged into my account and noticed none of the NJ or NY tolls appeared but all the PA tolls were there. Keep in mind, no buzzer or camera flash went off as I drove through the tolls, just the call service center message......

So being the responsible person I am I contacted EZ pass and they informed me that during my trip, that the systems in NJ and NY had computer troubles. NOT MY FAULT I think. They told me the tolls would likely process through to Enterprise. WTF? Why, I asked, the tolls dates would match the dates the I had the car registered with YOU.....I am told it does not work that way? Well why not, it should go by the dates when I had the car as it corresponds with the dates I drove through the tolls......

The EZ pass "expert" tells me to immediately call Enteprise and ask them to hold the violations and let me pay them via contacting EX pass with the violations numbers and all would fine. NOT SO! Enterprise uses an automatic system..........Nothing they can do and my CC will be charged as the tolls hit them automatically.

So long story short, Enterprise gets 18 violations with violation fees, and then they added $15.00 service fee per violation. So now my original toll bill that should have been $112 was now over $800, plus Enterprises fees. My $111 on tolls cost $1200 all charged to my CC.

So I contact EZ pass again and they tell me sorry.

HOW THE F CAN THEY GET AWAYS WITH THIS?

Lets look at the main points............

1. Their system was messed up and this is why the EZ pass was not read properly.
2. the car was registered with EZ pass while the car went through the tolls. The dates matched, so why don't they bill my account, why do they forward it to Enterprise? Why don't they have the system setup to match corresponding registration dates? Over 900,000 rental cars are rented every day in America, this is a simple solution.
3. Why were violation fees attached to the bill, when it WAS THERE SYSTEM THAT MADE THE ERRORS?
4. I followed their precise exact instructions and my EZ pass was properly installed and fully functioning.

How do you people of NY put up with this?

If anyone else out there has a similar experience, please contact me! I'm retaining an attorney and I intend to file suit against all parties involved. Well, expect Enterprise.

This is a major flaw in their system and they are aware of it and make me, the law abiding, follow the rules a victim of their messed up system.

And last, why do you fine people of NJ and NY allow YOUR government to use the tolls as a tax for all government function? WHY? It was supposed to be for the roads. not everything else! You already pay gas taxes and state tax. You are being taxed a third and fourth time for the same reason and that my friends is unconstitutional.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 09:59 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,549,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
As I got in NJ and then to NY, I noticed the toll both kept telling to "call service center" at each pass. Being a first time EZ pass customer, I didn't know what to think.
You didn't have to think... You were told what to do - call the service center. Instead of doing so, you continued to go through...

You could have made one phone call, found out the issue, and chosen to go through the "cash" lanes.

When tolls are charged through a rental car, even using their rented Ezpass, they often tack on fees. When it's a violation of going through (18 times???? You didn't think to call when you saw the message to call 18 times??) then it's going to be considerably more expensive.

Quote:
I followed their precise exact instructions and my EZ pass was properly installed and fully functioning.
However, you didn't follow the instructions. You were informed to call the service center and you didn't.

Quote:
How do you people of NY put up with this?
I personally have never heard of this happening to someone. One person I knew had an issue one time going through, and guess what, they called the call center....

I think had the EZ Pass lane flashed green and "go" each time, and then you found out it wasn't truly functioning, you might have a case. However, that is clearly not what happened.

Sounds like a very unfortunately, expensive learning experience. I don't think suing will get you anywhere. And really it has nothing to do with Enterprise since you didn't get the Ezpass from them. You only rented the car, and then drove it through tolls without paying.

Reminds me of a "trick" in Colorado on tourists where folks take the toll road, which actually has no toll booths since locals register their license plates through some kind of chip; the rental cars don't have the registration so as visitors take the shorter route (toll road) the car gets tagged as going through the toll without a pass and a similar thing happens. I learned about it before visiting CO by reading up on what to know driving from Denver to Boulder and found a lot of warnings.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:02 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,367,624 times
Usually most rental car places in toll-heavy metros give an unlimited toll pass option...

Old 02-26-2014, 10:20 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,009,751 times
Why not just dispute the charge with your credit card company?

Old 02-26-2014, 10:30 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,092,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Why not just dispute the charge with your credit card company?
...and then take it to court.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:40 AM

43,303 posts, read 43,957,600 times
How about contacting one of those TV broadcasters that help with these type of disputes?

Old 02-27-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Usually most rental car places in toll-heavy metros give an unlimited toll pass option...

They bought their own so they didn't think they needed to rent one.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:23 AM

OP, if you want to try to dispute it, refer to the NY EZ Pass website:

Quote:
I received a Toll Evasion Notice that I would like to dispute. What should I do? Complete Section C located on the back of the Toll Evasion Notice. Mail to the following address.
E-ZPass[SIZE=2]® Violation Payments and Inquiries
PO Box 15186
Albany, NY 12212-5186 [/SIZE]
You may also FAX this information to 1-718-816-0762.
https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/faq/violations.shtml

However if you're honest like you are here about getting the message to call because of an error, they might not be sympathetic. You might want to omit the fact.

I think fines are $25-$100. So going through 19 times... Yeah that's pricy.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:53 AM

18,827 posts, read 13,710,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Reminds me of a "trick" in Colorado on tourists where folks take the toll road, which actually has no toll booths since locals register their license plates through some kind of chip; the rental cars don't have the registration so as visitors take the shorter route (toll road) the car gets tagged as going through the toll without a pass and a similar thing happens. I learned about it before visiting CO by reading up on what to know driving from Denver to Boulder and found a lot of warnings.
I drove to Colorado last year to visit friends (I used to live there). I used E-470 3 times: once round trip to the airport and once to the airport, then continuing east on my drive home. A few weeks after I got home, I got a bill mailed to me with no violations on it, no problems at all.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I drove to Colorado last year to visit friends (I used to live there). I used E-470 3 times: once round trip to the airport and once to the airport, then continuing east on my drive home. A few weeks after I got home, I got a bill mailed to me with no violations on it, no problems at all.

Was the bill from the rental car company? Then most likely you were charged more than what the tolls actually were. It's not a violation in the sense of OP going through without a pass working, but the rental car company is charged for the toll, and then they tack on additional charges/fees before handing you the bill. If you don't know this before, you can be in for a surprise. There's a chance you paid more than you had to....

E-470 tolls: A $50 surprise for drivers of rental cars - Denver Business Journal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City