Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 11:55 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Whether the area needed gentrification or not isn't what was asked. The OP was asking why it doesn't get gentrification. And again, I gave some reasons why. The area's a bit run down and not kept up well. And parts of it really are pretty ghetto (Edenwald projects) and some areas nearby are also pretty ghetto (Gunhill, Allerton and the projects near them).

So if someone thinks this is a good area they are willfully blind!
I know what was originally asked. And I said what I said.

Gunhill and Allerton projects ARE NOT IN WAKEFIELD.

Edenwald PJs ARE NOT IN WAKEFIELD.

The area where I lived? It was good, and I know you think that many New Yorkers never leave their front yards, but that is not the case with me. I've seen various areas in the Tri-State. I hung out in Westchester much of the time. Wakefield, while not being as bucolic as a suburban area, is still a nice area to buy a family home.

It isn't getting gentrified not become of excessive crime but due to the facts that it is pretty far out and it can be perceived as being culturally insular. I personally mentioned that the area doesn't need to presence of "gentry" because many of the people who live there are doing ok. When I think of gentification, I think of places that are on the verge of "tear down" status..that doesn't apply here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 12:13 PM
DAS DAS started this thread

2,532 posts, read 6,859,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Whether the area needed gentrification or not isn't what was asked. The OP was asking why it doesn't get gentrification. And again, I gave some reasons why. The area's a bit run down and not kept up well. And parts of it really are pretty ghetto (Edenwald projects) and some areas nearby are also pretty ghetto (Gunhill, Allerton and the projects near them).

So if someone thinks this is a good area they are willfully blind!
Reading is fundamental. I never asked why the area doesn't get gentrification. With houses selling for 1/2 a million dollars and more. Gentrification is not an issue. The smallest fixer upper is over $300K.

Please stop comparing a private home to the projects.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:30 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Reading is fundamental. I never asked why the area doesn't get gentrification. With houses selling for 1/2 a million dollars and more. Gentrification is not an issue. The smallest fixer upper is over $300K.

When projects are next to private homes, they can have substantial influence over the area.........

So be honest about all the NYCHA facilities in the area when you mention this neighborhood. There are some new LAMP buildings on WPR too. LAMP, low income housing, and full of crackheads.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:11 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,421 times
Quote:

DAS, what is it that you would like. As usual the thread is become a pissing match. I would strongly suggest that if you are being 100% sincere in looking at property there. Go on foot at all hours not bankers hours 9-6. Ride the 2 train at different times and get off at 233rd, 238th and 241th street. Go to the chase on 238th and WPR. Stop in the supermarket on Baychester or WPR near Cullens bar. Are you married or live with a girl? Have her explore the services ALONE. See if she feels comfortable riding the subway or waiting on WPR for the bus. Used to be #41 not sure anymore. I used to ride the #16 which cut across Nereid. Are you a Catholic? Hit St. Anthony's or St Francis of Rome. Both of them no longer have schools btw. Do you have kids? Check out the schools. Also see how many sex offenders are in the area. Some zipcodes light up like a Christmas tree. Does foreclosure rates matter? Saw that Wakefield was in the top 2 in the Bronx. See why thats happening? Does having a proliferation of hot sheets motels bother you? Look into those numbers? Go to the community council meeting, Father Gorman used to be the president. He actually grew up in the area before moving on to St Barnabas and Spellman HS. You can ask all the crime questions. What's the hot spots? Is there a uptick in weed houses? Is there a Bloods gang problem in the area?

Me, I'm a dinosaur. I remember when ACT 3 was a club on WPR and Nereid. I played softball against Bill n Bobs on WPR and 224ish. He got robbed around a dozen times. He's now in Pelham. You can direct message me for any more info.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
DAS, what is it that you would like. As usual the thread is become a pissing match. I would strongly suggest that if you are being 100% sincere in looking at property there. Go on foot at all hours not bankers hours 9-6. Ride the 2 train at different times and get off at 233rd, 238th and 241th street. Go to the chase on 238th and WPR. Stop in the supermarket on Baychester or WPR near Cullens bar. Are you married or live with a girl? Have her explore the services ALONE. See if she feels comfortable riding the subway or waiting on WPR for the bus. Used to be #41 not sure anymore. I used to ride the #16 which cut across Nereid. Are you a Catholic? Hit St. Anthony's or St Francis of Rome. Both of them no longer have schools btw. Do you have kids? Check out the schools. Also see how many sex offenders are in the area. Some zipcodes light up like a Christmas tree. Does foreclosure rates matter? Saw that Wakefield was in the top 2 in the Bronx. See why thats happening? Does having a proliferation of hot sheets motels bother you? Look into those numbers? Go to the community council meeting, Father Gorman used to be the president. He actually grew up in the area before moving on to St Barnabas and Spellman HS. You can ask all the crime questions. What's the hot spots? Is there a uptick in weed houses? Is there a Bloods gang problem in the area?

Me, I'm a dinosaur. I remember when ACT 3 was a club on WPR and Nereid. I played softball against Bill n Bobs on WPR and 224ish. He got robbed around a dozen times. He's now in Pelham. You can direct message me for any more info.
I am a woman. I am interested in all these things and plan to walk around when the weather gets warmer and people are out more. That is why I'm asking opinions before I start walking around. I'll spend a good chunk of change when I move to whatever neighborhood I move to.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I am a woman. I am interested in all these things and plan to walk around when the weather gets warmer and people are out more. That is why I'm asking opinions before I start walking around. I'll spend a good chunk of change when I move to whatever neighborhood I move to.
Op, despite all of this back and forth, i know and understand what you're looking for. I too was a female homebuyer. Not sure of your marital status, but I did it alone. Had to make the decisions on my own, with help from friends and family of course. Back then there was no city data. You want to make sure you make the right investment. My original intent was to say that I found nothing wrong with Wakefield. I rode the 2 and 5 at various hours as I work in the legal industry and there is no such thing as fixed hours. Wakefield would probably be my third or fourth preference not bc of crime, ganja, or whatever. It would be because it is far out, doesn't offer express bus service, and there aren't many views..I.e. Large green space or water. If you can find a good sturdy home in the 300s or 400s, it's worth a look. The main streets are usually bustling, especially on the weekends. A Saturday afternoon might be the best time and also after six.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:18 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,421 times
Quote:
Miss Das, Good luck! Remember brokers are out there to close a deal. So make sure you go out and see things for yourself. Do you go out for drinks? Dinner? Dating? Hang out in the city late? Ride the rails at all those hours. Had a buddy who bought a house in Putnam County. The broker kept saying 684 straight shoot. 45 minutes to the Bronx. BS! He fail to mention rush hour or inclement weather.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:37 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Op, despite all of this back and forth, i know and understand what you're looking for. I too was a female homebuyer. Not sure of your marital status, but I did it alone. Had to make the decisions on my own, with help from friends and family of course. Back then there was no city data. You want to make sure you make the right investment. My original intent was to say that I found nothing wrong with Wakefield. I rode the 2 and 5 at various hours as I work in the legal industry and there is no such thing as fixed hours. Wakefield would probably be my third or fourth preference not bc of crime, ganja, or whatever. It would be because it is far out, doesn't offer express bus service, and there aren't many views..I.e. Large green space or water. If you can find a good sturdy home in the 300s or 400s, it's worth a look. The main streets are usually bustling, especially on the weekends. A Saturday afternoon might be the best time and also after six.
Actually,riaelise,it does have the BxM 11 express bus.Same Express bus as from my neighborhood.Also ,during rush hours,the 5 train runs Express from Nereid Ave ....about 40 mins from Wakefield to GC.There is also metro north service from the Williamsbridge stop @ Gun Hill Rd and the Woodlawn stop @233 St...about 20 mins to GC.It's not a transportation dead zone by any means.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Actually,riaelise,it does have the BxM 11 express bus.Same Express bus as from my neighborhood.Also ,during rush hours,the 5 train runs Express from Nereid Ave ....about 40 mins from Wakefield to GC.There is also metro north service from the Williamsbridge stop @ Gun Hill Rd and the Woodlawn stop @233 St...about 20 mins to GC.It's not a transportation dead zone by any means.
Not a transportation dead zone at all but I found it to still be too far north for me. That is why I didn't live in Throgs Neck, Riverdale, Shorehaven, etc. I was wondering about the origin of that bus but I never took it. So I stand corrected..there is express bus service

Old 03-03-2014, 07:15 PM

To Riverdale does have more express bus service I think and one bus goes to lower Manhattan. railroad, what would be your first 3 choices, and why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City