Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 04:26 PM

34,093 posts, read 47,293,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I have not seen one predominately Caribbean neighborhood in metro NYC surpass a predominately White or Jewish neighborhood in niceness. It is what it is. No amount of getting upset or defensive will change that.
No. What you said is West Indians do not clean up in front of their house. And no matter what race you are, there's dirty and clean people! Like I said - it's money, not race. Maybe you didn't grow up in a house for you to be making such silly comments! But I did! So I know what it takes to maintain a house! And my West Indian parents always cleaned their yard! Main reason why I chose to own a co-op now instead of a house! FOH with that BS, this race is cleaner than that race. I am going off on you! It's money, not race!!! FOH. And don't come at me with mod this and mod that. Over it. Just because we hide at home behind our keyboards we're free to say whatever we want. FOH man. Beyond infuriated!!!!!!!

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 04:34 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
No. What you said is West Indians do not clean up in front of their house. And no matter what race you are, there's dirty and clean people!
I said no such thing.

I said that in the Caribbean neighborhoods in NYC, they weren't professionally landscaped or maintained that well.

As in the White neighborhoods had better tree selection, trees that where better pruned, more beautifully maintained gardens, better selected lawn grass, and generally did a much better job in the overall appearance than the Caribbean neighborhoods. And this does indeed affect neighborhood values.

I actually do know quite a bit about gardening (I've lived in rural areas of the US for a few years), and I seriously doubt the Caribbean immigrants here know as much about how to take care of the trees and plants that grow in NYC because this is a DIFFERENT CLIMATE than the Caribbean. Not everyone is going to come here and read up on North American horticulture when they buy a house. Therefore, there is indeed a CULTURAL aspect to this. Whites who have been homeowners for several generations in the US will no more about things like lawn care and tree and plant selection as well as which fertilizers work best in local conditions (some people go as far as to have their soil tested to find out what nutrients it might be lacking) than people recent arrivals from the Caribbean! So essentially, there is an education issue as well.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
No. What you said is West Indians do not clean up in front of their house. And no matter what race you are, there's dirty and clean people! Like I said - it's money, not race. Maybe you didn't grow up in a house for you to be making such silly comments! But I did! So I know what it takes to maintain a house! And my West Indian parents always cleaned their yard! Main reason why I chose to own a co-op now instead of a house! FOH with that BS, this race is cleaner than that race. I am going off on you! It's money, not race!!! FOH. And don't come at me with mod this and mod that. Over it. Just because we hide at home behind our keyboards we're free to say whatever we want. FOH man. Beyond infuriated!!!!!!!
Cleaning a yard is not my idea of maintaining a beautiful yard. I saw clean yards in Wakefield that still looked poorly maintained compared to professionally landscaped yards that I saw in white neighborhoods.

Can you not see the difference?

And it still makes all the difference in the property values of the neighborhood!

If they can't afford proper landscaping and lack the knowledge to do it themselves, it makes the neighborhood look poor and low class!

Old 03-02-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I said no such thing.

I said that in the Caribbean neighborhoods in NYC, they weren't professionally landscaped or maintained that well.

As in the White neighborhoods had better tree selection, trees that where better pruned, more beautifully maintained gardens, better selected lawn grass, and generally did a much better job in the overall appearance than the Caribbean neighborhoods. And this does indeed affect neighborhood values.

I actually do know quite a bit about gardening (I've lived in rural areas of the US for a few years), and I seriously doubt the Caribbean immigrants here know as much about how to take care of the trees and plants that grow in NYC because this is a DIFFERENT CLIMATE than the Caribbean. Not everyone is going to come here and read up on North American horticulture when they buy a house. Therefore, there is indeed a CULTURAL aspect to this. Whites who have been homeowners for several generations in the US will no more about things like lawn care and tree and plant selection as well as which fertilizers work best in local conditions (some people go as far as to have their soil tested to find out what nutrients it might be lacking) than people recent arrivals from the Caribbean! So essentially, there is an education issue as well.
Horticulture??????????????????????????

Horticulture?????????????????????????????

Are you serious???????????????

FOH

Lawn care....those Jews around my way pay for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those houses are minimum 800K (most of them over a mil) in the Jewish section around my way.......you think somebody who can afford that house will mow their own lawn??? We talking about .8M homes! What planet are you from man....get on your spaceship and go back

Old 03-02-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Cleaning a yard is not my idea of maintaining a beautiful yard. I saw clean yards in Wakefield that still looked poorly maintained compared to professionally landscaped yards that I saw in white neighborhoods.

Can you not see the difference?

And it still makes all the difference in the property values of the neighborhood!

If they can't afford proper landscaping and lack the knowledge to do it themselves, it makes the neighborhood look poor and low class!
No! No! No! No!

You said West Indians don't clean up their yard. I don't wanna hear about no landscaping s***. Only upper middle class and wealthy have landscaping because they have....guess what - landscapers. Wakefield aint gonna have no f'ing landscapers.

Koi pond.....FOH man.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:47 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,198 times
Quote:
No! No! No! No!

You said West Indians don't clean up their yard. I don't wanna hear about no landscaping s***. Only upper middle class and wealthy have landscaping because they have....guess what - landscapers. Wakefield aint gonna have no f'ing landscapers.

Koi pond.....FOH man.
Sadly, it's a waste of time explaining with this dude. He's not gonna stay consistent in what he originally said and clearly, he looks at the world through a different set of lenses than we do. I can't even take him seriously...

Old 03-02-2014, 05:01 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
I don't know NYWriters angst. I see Woodlawn and I see Wakefield. I don't see any difference.

Both lower middle class neighborhoods where the owners are probably too busy paying the mortgage to have time to be involved in elaborate horticulture.

Indeed there are whites living in Wakefield, and some have even shabbier houses than do some blacks. I am going to assume that they are financially stretched, as its possible that if they had the resources they would have left when the other whites did.

Please notice that there are also large numbers of foreclosures in many of these neighborhoods, and some unkept yards are because the owner no longer lives there.

For a variety of reasons more American and Caribbean blacks have faced foreclosure, and its indeed possible that moving these properties is more difficult as the pool of buyers able to get mortgages these days is small.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:05 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Wakefield aint gonna have no f'ing landscapers.

Koi pond.....FOH man.

Actually in a couple of months my weekends will be disturbed by the whirring of machines operated by Mexicans. Often at 8 AM on a Saturday (ouch)!

So there are those who do engage in landscaping, but obviously not in the middle of winter.

NYWriter said that he lived in an apartment complex. The homes located in that part of Wakefield tend to be owned by poorer people, and also are likely to be rental properties, so not owner occupied, owner long gone to Florida.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Williamsbridge and Wakefield used to be Irish, Italian, Jewish, neighborhoods with some African Americans. Today these neighborhoods are Caribbean, and some African American. There is a small group of Asians. There is good housing stock for those interested in purchasing private homes. The median household incomes are pretty high, gentrification is not a concern. Are these neighborhoods diversifying? Will they diversify to point of the Morris Park neighborhood, or Pelham Parkway?
Sorry DAS for the thread getting derailed. But I spoke to one of my good friends from Northeast and they said it's a good buy, and you should definitely pursue. A lot of people in the area do their big shopping in Co-Op City or Cross County Mall, or the Palisades Mall.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
No! No! No! No!

Koi pond.....FOH man.
I said no such thing about West Indians cleaning up their yard. I said they didn't maintain the grounds around their homes.

That's not the same as cleaning up their yards.

So for the record, you can see why the Jewish neighborhoods in Far Rockaway and 5 towns look much better than the Caribbean neighborhoods of the North Bronx. There is absolutely no reason to take offense. The people in Far Rockaway and 5 towns put a lot of resources into maintaining their yards. This isn't done in Wakefield or Mt. Vernon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City