Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 10:18 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,021 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the road test info Wreckerman,so when you tow a truck do you take it to the Central Repair Garage in Queens? I have to admit that I have seen more city buses broken down on the road than sanitation trucks.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:48 PM

191 posts, read 874,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
Thanks for the road test info Wreckerman,so when you tow a truck do you take it to the Central Repair Garage in Queens? I have to admit that I have seen more city buses broken down on the road than sanitation trucks.

true.. wreck,you just chillout until needed?

Old 01-04-2008, 12:18 AM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,840 times
Quote:
I have to admit that I have seen more city buses broken down on the road than sanitation trucks.
There are more city buses than sanitation trucks out there so it only makes so much sense, plus they do more miles on a days end.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:06 AM

162 posts, read 575,283 times
What determines if you get a CDL permit class A or CDL permit class B? Is it by request when you go down to the DMV? Which is preferred by DSNY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckerman12 View Post
the sanitation instructors will drive you through the exact road test b4 you take it. but your not supposed so dont tell anyone.

maybe less than 1,000 because of the k restriction now.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:12 AM

Hey Wreckerman, when you say "physical" what exactly are you referring to? Do you mean the physical testing given by DCAS to see if you can carry the garbage through the obstacle course or do you mean the medical exam? When I took the physical test, none of the DCAS monitors mentioned anything about going for CDL training. Please let us know what you find out.

Quote:
i think you go after you pass the physical.if you dont get called you still have to pay for the training. ill find out definitely tommorow.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:26 AM

12 posts, read 35,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBoy View Post
What determines if you get a CDL permit class A or CDL permit class B? Is it by request when you go down to the DMV? Which is preferred by DSNY?
You need a CDL B with no airbrake restriction, N endorsement, and no K restriction. CDL A is for tractor trailor trucks. CDL B is for non trailor vehicles. ex school bus, sanitation truck, cube truck. If you get the book at dmv, the whole first chapter is dedicated to what class you need for each. It also tells you which chapters you need to study for the endorsements that you need. Study the general chapters for the general test. The n-endorsement is for tank trucks. You need to study the tank and haz-mat chapters. You need to pass the air brake test to avoid having an airbrake restriction (study the airbrake section), and you need to be over 21 to avoid the K or interstate restriction. To get the permit you need to take 1) the general test 2) The airbrake test 3) the tank test. Its like $5 per test. Once you get that, you get a permit and you are eligible for the Sanitation training. Just study the sections and take the tests. They are easy if you studied and they are multiple choice with no timelimit.

I did the whole process over the summer to get the CDL and took the roadtest on a schoolbus. I also had to get the Passenger and Schoolbus endorsement which was 2 more tests.

Last edited by Hope4San08; 01-04-2008 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: update info

Old 01-04-2008, 10:04 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,021 times
You took the test on a school bus? Sounds like they didn't have any garbage trucks,but hey you passed the first time around and that is all that matters,you have your CDL B in your wallet,valid for 10yrs. In a way you are ahead of the game. A yellow school bus is 30ft long,a DSNY truck is around 24ft long,I would feel more comfortable taking the road test with a garbage truck,that is me though,everybody is different.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:43 AM

12 posts, read 35,231 times
Quote:
You took the test on a school bus? Sounds like they didn't have any garbage trucks,but hey you passed the first time around and that is all that matters,you have your CDL B in your wallet,valid for 10yrs. In a way you are ahead of the game. A yellow school bus is 30ft long,a DSNY truck is around 24ft long,I would feel more comfortable taking the road test with a garbage truck,that is me though,everybody is different.

I took the test to be ahead of the game. I took the training through a schoolbus company. This was also done to open the door for other job possibilities like City Bus operator or school bus driver. Its something in my pocket that can provide an income if needed.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:03 PM

Thanks for the response and the details; it's very helpful. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4San08 View Post
You need a CDL B with no airbrake restriction, N endorsement, and no K restriction. CDL A is for tractor trailor trucks. CDL B is for non trailor vehicles. ex school bus, sanitation truck, cube truck. If you get the book at dmv, the whole first chapter is dedicated to what class you need for each. It also tells you which chapters you need to study for the endorsements that you need. Study the general chapters for the general test. The n-endorsement is for tank trucks. You need to study the tank and haz-mat chapters. You need to pass the air brake test to avoid having an airbrake restriction (study the airbrake section), and you need to be over 21 to avoid the K or interstate restriction. To get the permit you need to take 1) the general test 2) The airbrake test 3) the tank test. Its like $5 per test. Once you get that, you get a permit and you are eligible for the Sanitation training. Just study the sections and take the tests. They are easy if you studied and they are multiple choice with no timelimit.

I did the whole process over the summer to get the CDL and took the roadtest on a schoolbus. I also had to get the Passenger and Schoolbus endorsement which was 2 more tests.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:16 PM

This is what I was able to find out through another source:

1. The list won't be established until March because the old list expires at the end of February

2. They won't start calling people from the 6063 exam for processing until April or May

3. When they call you for processing, you start the paperwork and go through an orientation. You also do a medical and if you don't have a CDL license, you go through training.

4. The background check is done last and you still have to pay for the CDL training even if you don't get appointed.

5. I was told, on average, it takes about 2 to 3 months to get officially appointed to DSNY after you get called for processing.

Can anyone verify this information?

Quote:
i think you go after you pass the physical.if you dont get called you still have to pay for the training. ill find out definitely tommorow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City