U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2008, 07:27 PM

143 posts, read 296,312 times

Advertisements

Hey Mprus, don't sweat the sealed record thing. The only jobs that "look behind" a sealed record are Police/Peace officer jobs, and some other gov't security issues. besides, sealed is most probably a dismissal anyway.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:38 PM

143 posts, read 296,312 times
Good info on the pension, Wreckerman. But I wonder... if you only put in 10 years , ...do you then get only 1/4 pay?

Old 01-10-2008, 08:37 PM

39 posts, read 108,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRaPsHu View Post
Hey Mprus, don't sweat the sealed record thing. The only jobs that "look behind" a sealed record are Police/Peace officer jobs, and some other gov't security issues. besides, sealed is most probably a dismissal anyway.

Thanks, Im trying not to sweat it but cant help it, hearing feedback like that definately helps. And Vantastic, you got some deal at your DMV 3 tests for ten bucks!!! And you say that they arent gonna charge you for the re test on the general knowledge, they hit me up for 5 bucks for the second try. What DMV is so generous I wanna start goin to it.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:13 PM

1,810 posts, read 6,137,064 times
Haha,I went to the Garden City DMV,it was crowded though,one guy was arguing with one of the clerks about something and from looking at his face I thought he was going to jump over the counter,lol. She told me to get there before 12:00pm next Thursday,so I am going to study for a week,when you took the test the 2nd time it was a different set of questions right?

Some states I heard if you fail any of the written tests twice that you have to wait 30 days before taking it again. Definitely not worth spending the money for a course or something like that,just have to study hard on your own,that is it.

My goal is to get my CDL-B by spring,have a couple of driving schools in mind,just like you MP I want to have my CDL before appointment to make the process go faster. That is probably around 2 yrs away.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:00 PM

191 posts, read 794,982 times
once you pass the med/background etc dont you have a month or two before you start the job during which time you can get the cdl.

van,whats the $$ for the driving schools?

Old 01-10-2008, 10:12 PM

I have nothing against the DSNY CDL training,that is probably the cheapest way to go,I just want to get the CDL on my own. Don't know the cost,if I would have passed the general knowledge test and gotten my permit earlier today I would have walked into Ferrari driving school in Astoria,Queens to sign up.

This is a good website,beware there are a lot of "CDL Mills" out there. CDL Mills

Some guy emailed me this,sounds to me that they get you into a contract,I would be cautious.

"
I found a city sponsored program through a driving
>school in queens (Ferrari driving school) where you are able to get
>your CDL for FREE!-----Requirements are as follows: (1) unemployed or
>employed but making less than $56,000, (2) resume, (3) CDL permit, (4)
>soc.sec card, and (5) birth cert. If interested let me know and I'll
>provide you with all the info. Good luck.
>

Old 01-10-2008, 10:20 PM

i hear ya...i knew if your unemployed you can get it for free but i didnt know the 56000 deal.

i called a place up and they wouldnt tell me the price.i had to set up a meeting and they would give me all the details.be careful when dealing with contracts.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:35 PM

i skimmed the cdl mill site so i may have missed something...how does dsny do training in a week?if you go private its a month or more?

Old 01-10-2008, 10:48 PM

Of course,not going to sign anything without reading and understanding it first. All I know is that Ferrari driving school has been around for a long time.

Somebody mentioned on here that DSNY trains you in 5 days,how many people on the truck at one time I don't know. I read that they have a 85% passing the road test rate,which is very good in my opinion. DSNY also takes you through the road test area beforhand. On the road test I believe they take it with a DSNY cut off truck,no need to worry about overpasses,etc.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:27 AM

39 posts, read 108,869 times
I went to Garden City DMV also. This is bull**** lol you got mad lucky. Im not gonna pay for a driving school, my list number is low enough Ill be one of the first called and Ill do the DSNY's training I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City