U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-26-2008, 12:03 PM

473 posts, read 610,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXSANMAN View Post
Don't worry about not driving a truck before. Many of the guys otj from the last test had just got thier D.L. before trainning on the truck.

As for the truck you will be driving it is 30ft long 8.5 wide and your first day of CDL you won't drive off of FBF.
That's good to know

Old 04-26-2008, 12:09 PM

502 posts, read 697,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanManHopeful View Post
Okay guys, I've recently discovered these boards and wish I would have discovered them earlier, just to see that so many other guys were having the same axnxiety about getting on the job. Some of the information on here as been helpful for me and I decided to post because I may be able to provide some help to other guuys with questions.

I'm gonna try to address some of the things I've been seeing on here. I'll start by letting everyone know my list number is in the 500's. I went for my pre-employment on 4/22. My medical is on 4/30.

Education- yeah I have an education..college degree. Not that I want to devalue an education, but this job offers other things. Job security..many other jobs just cut you when things get tough. Pension after 20 yrs...most private co's don't even offer a pension, you have to save for your retirement through IRA's or 401K, which you can do in addition to your pension here. There are also opportunities for advancement here if you so choose. No, you will never be rich, making $300,000/yr here but you
could build a nice carreer with an early retirement if you want.

CDL diabetes-I'm diabetic and recently got my CDL. Nowhere was I asked to disclose whether or not I was diabetic. However, for this medical purpose I believe they want to see if you condition is being controlled.

Medical- Like I said I have diabetes and am worried that they may make it an issue, although mine is controlled. I also have slightly high cholesterol which with a mild dosage of mediaction my numbers are in the 160's (very controlled). I'll be taking my meds with me to the physical and praying they don't DQ me, because my doctor says there's no way they shouldn't pass you, but like you guys say you never know.

This really seems like a good board with a good bunch of guys. I wish you all the best of luck. Hopefully my medical goes smoothly and I can be on the job in August hopefully.

Lastly, honesty...just be honest about everything...that's what I've been told again and again.

If I can ever be of any help to anyone please me know.
Right. As long as you bring your meds with you you'll be ok. A guy took his medical and has a 250 cholestorol level. So you're fine. You have your cdl and the diabetes is controlled, so it's ok......Don't worry.....Take care....

Old 04-26-2008, 12:11 PM

Let's just look forward to a good end of summer, with a new job.....

Old 04-26-2008, 12:11 PM

473 posts, read 610,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siMIKE View Post
Does anyone on here that is either OTJ or going through the process have a college degree? If so - why go into DSNY?

Does anyone on here have a steady decent paying job already? If so - why go into DSNY?
I have a BBA in Marketing. Just because you have a college degree doesn't mean things work out as you hoped. I also have a decent paying job as a cemetery superintendent.
Why take a city job?? Good benefits, Health insurance, retire in 20 years with a pension. Also from what it sounds like after a few years we will have good salaries.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAPES24 View Post
I have a BBA in Marketing. Just because you have a college degree doesn't mean things work out as you hoped. I also have a decent paying job as a cemetery superintendent.
Why take a city job?? Good benefits, Health insurance, retire in 20 years with a pension. Also from what it sounds like after a few years we will have good salaries.
Exactly ............

Old 04-26-2008, 03:35 PM

136 posts, read 206,522 times
its nice to see how everbody is friendly here...wait till u get to the garage and people who got u beat and came on with u are bouncing u around like a pinball.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:40 PM

300 posts, read 455,839 times
Just want to wish everyone who is doing the first week of training at FBF GoodLuck !! Pay attention and don't be discouraged ..

Also do not forget to get a $40.00 Pre-Paid Skills test Voucher !!

Old 04-26-2008, 03:43 PM

125 posts, read 175,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the commisioner View Post
its nice to see how everbody is friendly here...wait till u get to the garage and people who got u beat and came on with u are bouncing u around like a pinball.
what does that mean?

Old 04-26-2008, 03:45 PM

300 posts, read 455,839 times
In other words he is warning you that it will change because people will bump you out of truck money and other various things .. Which will in return **** you off and not be so nice...

Old 04-26-2008, 03:49 PM

125 posts, read 175,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipez View Post
In other words he is warning you that it will change because people will bump you out of truck money and other various things .. Which will in return **** you off and not be so nice...
truck money ...........???? whats that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City