U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-21-2008, 06:26 PM

655 posts, read 977,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoodz56 View Post
one guy i dont know about his parking but the other guy said he was too far from the curb..who knows what really happened maybe he didnt honk or something. the instructor i had was fair, they wont fail you if you dont deserve it.
too far from the curb is only 5 points...

Old 05-21-2008, 06:41 PM

364 posts, read 499,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnyhopeful View Post
They will deff open the contract and all of us hopefuls will be looking at a higher starting salary. There are clause in the contract that let them open it for difrent reasons.
Not a chance, the police are still two contracts behind. Their contract is consistent with the bargaining pattern established by other unions for 2004 -2006. The reason why we do not goto binding arbitration is we have too much to lose. For example we still get double time, and weekly paychecks. We never gave it back in negotiations. No other union has that except I think MTA gets paid weekly still. They would take that in a flash from us.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:05 PM

502 posts, read 696,856 times
I guess I was wrong about the seniority thing. I said I may have been. But listen, about all this contract negotiation nonsense. What are all you people talking about. Dsny has a great contract, that I think was just put through recently right? Nypd deserve more anyway. I don't want to hear this nonsense about how it's hard to work for dsny with weather or other nonsense. Nypd risks there lifes. That's not just a saying, it's true....So yes they deserve a lot for that. Let's be real here.....

Old 05-21-2008, 07:50 PM

136 posts, read 206,365 times
cops do deserve more....but u havent tossed 1 bag in the hopper yet,or worked in the pouring rain so what nonsense u talkin about!!!its tough work doin 11 or more tons everyday,but i guess ur already on so u know what ur talkin about..dont become one of these rooks with 2 weeks on the job thinkin they know it all !!!i can see ur goin down that path
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsan View Post
I guess I was wrong about the seniority thing. I said I may have been. But listen, about all this contract negotiation nonsense. What are all you people talking about. Dsny has a great contract, that I think was just put through recently right? Nypd deserve more anyway. I don't want to hear this nonsense about how it's hard to work for dsny with weather or other nonsense. Nypd risks there lifes. That's not just a saying, it's true....So yes they deserve a lot for that. Let's be real here.....

Old 05-21-2008, 07:52 PM

93 posts, read 120,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansuper View Post
I see some of you have the seniority thing wrong.This the way it works:Seniority is base on APPOINTMENT DATE.So if your list is lower than your buddy's ex:yours 537 his 541.His appt date is 07/21/08 and yours is 08/16/09 he has you beat!....It does matter about list number any more.
So when do u get appointed, at orientation?

Old 05-21-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMANHB View Post
So when do u get appointed, at orientation?
When you are officially hired and enter a New Sanitation Training Class.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:31 PM

289 posts, read 525,574 times
[quote=Salsan;3841188]I guess I was wrong about the seniority thing. I said I may have been. But listen, about all this contract negotiation nonsense. What are all you people talking about. Dsny has a great contract, that I think was just put through recently right? Nypd deserve more anyway. I don't want to hear this nonsense about how it's hard to work for dsny with weather or other nonsense. Nypd risks there lifes. That's not just a saying, it's true....So yes they deserve a lot for that. Let's be real here.
WHEN YOU GET ON THE JOB DO YOUR SELF A FAVOR DON'T SPEAK MUCH JUST LISTEN , IF THE GUY'S IN THE GARAGE KNEW WHO YOU WERE AFTER THIS STATEMENT THEY WOULD LAUGH IN YOUR FACE I'M TELLING YOU THIS FOR YOUR OWN GOOD ,SOME SANMEN WILL BUST YOUR BALL'S FOR YEAR'S TO COME . GOOD LUCK

Last edited by RETIRED SANMAN; 05-21-2008 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: NONSENSE

Old 05-21-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Apples and Oranges. One is a Public Safety Service and the other is a Manuel Labor job. One main reason our contracts are easier to negotiate is we have a visible commodity that is measured in weight. You want a raise ok no problem just pickup .1 ton more per truck per day. Cops cannot do that thus they need to fund their raises in other ways ie giving back vacation time longer years to top pay etc..... All unions are now responsible to fund the majority of their raises with givebacks just the way it is nowadays.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:35 PM

655 posts, read 977,262 times
Quote:
Bureau of Labor Top 10 most dangerous jobs in the USA:
  1. (Tied for First Place) Airplane pilot
  2. (Tied for First Place) Logger
  3. Fisherman
  4. Iron structure worker
  5. Garbage collector
  6. Farmer/rancher
  7. Roofer
  8. Electric lineman
  9. Truck driver
  10. Taxi driver/chauffeur
Police officer is not even on that list. Yea cops risk their lives, but so does the sanman.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:52 PM

9 posts, read 11,720 times
I hear what you are saying. The most important thing I have learned from this bord - listen to the OTJ guys they know what they are talking about for the most part. I'm just a young man trying to get OTJ with alot to learn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Tuesdays View Post
Not a chance, the police are still two contracts behind. Their contract is consistent with the bargaining pattern established by other unions for 2004 -2006. The reason why we do not goto binding arbitration is we have too much to lose. For example we still get double time, and weekly paychecks. We never gave it back in negotiations. No other union has that except I think MTA gets paid weekly still. They would take that in a flash from us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.