Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2008, 09:37 PM

502 posts, read 1,008,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe8 View Post
Just to let you know the list # is based on your score first then your last five SSN#'s so if you scored a 105 and you last 5 of your SSN is lower than the other you have a lower list #. My brother scored the same as me but his last 5 started with a 4 and mine started with a 9 and he was 25 and i was 75. It can make the difference between July and Aug class even with the same score!

For Merch out there I hope you received a phone call you don't sound like your sure about the date to report? If you didn't get a call, get on the phone first thing Monday and find out for sure!!!
in this particular situation, the socials don't mean anything. Everyone in the July class got at least 105 on the test. I think. Maybe I'm wrong.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:01 PM

105 posts, read 288,004 times
With how sanitation works, Its Always important when you came on. ie list number.Somebody who has you "beat" will always have you beat. and this will follow you for all your carear: shift preference, vacation picks , route picks EVERYTHING.. SO.. it is important to get on as fast as you can.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:03 PM

88 posts, read 197,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe8 View Post
Just to let you know the list # is based on your score first then your last five SSN#'s so if you scored a 105 and you last 5 of your SSN is lower than the other you have a lower list #. My brother scored the same as me but his last 5 started with a 4 and mine started with a 9 and he was 25 and i was 75. It can make the difference between July and Aug class even with the same score!

For Merch out there I hope you received a phone call you don't sound like your sure about the date to report? If you didn't get a call, get on the phone first thing Monday and find out for sure!!!
Wow really? I figured they based it on who filed first (for the test).

Old 06-13-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino_dsny View Post
YOOOO!!! whats good guys... its been a while since i been on here.. busy with work n all... congrats to everyone who got the call n good luck to all those still waiting... i got the call on wednesday... #228... ill be there 6/19 0800hrs... see u there steve! n anyone else who will be there that day... to the rest of u see u on FBF!!! Hey question for any OTJ guys in queens...

anyone know which garages have gyms in them??

n which ones run or stay out??

thanks for the info as always...
Hey chino!
#1 GYMs- in all garages the guys set up some sort of gym.(All pilfered from the curb mind yoou!! lol..you'll learn the guys find some good equipment on the curb!)
#2 As for staying out or running..here is what i know about Queens.. QW1 + QW9 stay out.QW5 for the most part used to stay out ... but from what i hear they are just about done. (almost/soon to be a running garage.) The others.. QW2, QW3, QW4, QW6, and QW7.. they all dump on shift.
Good luck to you- hope to see you in green!!!

Old 06-14-2008, 12:16 AM

502 posts, read 1,008,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
Wow really? I figured they based it on who filed first (for the test).
From what I hear, it does also go by social. I believe that has no effect on the July class because we all got 105 or better. The August class is a different story. In that case it will matter. Unfortunatly, some people with 103.75 will have to wait for the next hire, while some with 103.75 will start in August......

Old 06-14-2008, 12:48 AM

54 posts, read 109,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCsanman View Post
Hey chino!
#1 GYMs- in all garages the guys set up some sort of gym.(All pilfered from the curb mind yoou!! lol..you'll learn the guys find some good equipment on the curb!)
#2 As for staying out or running..here is what i know about Queens.. QW1 + QW9 stay out.QW5 for the most part used to stay out ... but from what i hear they are just about done. (almost/soon to be a running garage.) The others.. QW2, QW3, QW4, QW6, and QW7.. they all dump on shift.
Good luck to you- hope to see you in green!!!
Q10 dumps on shift except recycling... Q12 dumps on shift ...Q8 stays out... Q13 its half and half ...Q14 stays out I believe...not sure about Q11...and Q4 has a good gym

Old 06-14-2008, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsan View Post
From what I hear, it does also go by social. I believe that has no effect on the July class because we all got 105 or better. The August class is a different story. In that case it will matter. Unfortunatly, some people with 103.75 will have to wait for the next hire, while some with 103.75 will start in August......
Hey,
the score does now go by the social... years ago it was by a lottery, but for the last two tests it has been by your score and THEN by your social. Do any of you guys get THE CHIEF? In this they will publish all the names of the canidates and their test scores .. and you will see a sh++t load ..the whole page with the same test score IE 105 listed in a certain order... this is your order ... the same if you got a 103.5 or 102.7 If you got these or lower scores.. the will publish them later. This is your seniority order. If you are named Carlie Brown and got a score of 105 and Linus has a 105 and it turns out that Linus got you beat it is because of last 4 digits if your social.. Say what you want but this is a lot better than the past's lottery system. :-) (in which you might have gotten a perfect score, but a cro-magnon got the job before you.)

Old 06-14-2008, 05:36 AM

289 posts, read 745,933 times
Default You Will Hear "i Got Him Beat "

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCsanman View Post
With how sanitation works, Its Always important when you came on. ie list number.Somebody who has you "beat" will always have you beat. and this will follow you for all your carear: shift preference, vacation picks , route picks EVERYTHING.. SO.. it is important to get on as fast as you can.
SO TRUE GUY'S ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 06-14-2008, 06:28 AM

6 posts, read 10,680 times
I hope they don't cancel these two classes, I am hearing that they might scrap that class due to budget problems due to the NYPD raise and the economical down turn. The mayor is looking for further budget cuts in city agencies. I hope that is not the case but with bloomy you never know. even though they are saying the already accounted for these 2 classes in this year's budget, they can postpone the classes for early next year (due to the fiscal year ending in June 2009). I got this from a friend who works in the mayor’s office.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:31 AM

196 posts, read 425,592 times
Street sweeper crushes Bronx dog

BY KRISTEN BROWN AND ETHAN ROUEN
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS
Saturday, June 14th 2008, 2:04 AM
Keivom/News Robert Machin holds broken leash worn by Ginger (below), one of his two Boston terriers, at the site near Randall and St. Lawrence Aves. where Ginger was sucked into a speeding street-sweeper.

Ginger (c.)

A Boston terrier was sucked into a fast-moving street sweeper and killed in a heartrending accident in the Bronx.
"It happened so fast," said the dog's owner, Robert Machin, who was holding Ginger's leash when she disappeared. "It spun me around, and as it spun me around, I caught a last glimpse of her."
Machin, who had been walking the dogs in the Soundview neighborhood Thursday morning, had the door to his Honda Civic open and was about to get inside with Ginger and his other terrier, Buster, when the sweeper struck the dog.
Witnesses said the Department of Sanitation vehicle was speeding.
"I was devastated," Machin said. "I was completely dumbfounded and shocked. I mean, I just witnessed my dog sucked up into a street sweeper."
He said he chased the sweeper for about 2 1/2 blocks, shouting for the operator to stop. The driver eventually went back to the scene, but refused to turn off the whirring brushes that had crushed the pooch until he arrived.
The Department of Sanitation called the death "a rare and unfortunate accident."
"Sanitation offers condolences to the family. . . . It is important for all New Yorkers to remember to maintain the safety of their animals while walking city streets," the department said.
But that sentiment didn't do much to console Machin, who is planning to contact the Humane Society and hire a lawyer.
"My children are all grown up," said the retired MTA employee. The dogs "are my babies. Those are my family."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City