U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-02-2008, 07:33 AM

1,810 posts, read 4,263,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsan View Post
That stinks.....I didn't want to mention this because some people say one thing and do another....But a friend at my church is a superintendent in Manhattan and he told me he can get me in any garage, if it has an opening.....Whether or not that's true is remained to be seen......I hope it's true....If not, I'll pray for Manhattan over the Bronx. He sais Manhattan always makes more money, and The Bronx is not exactly around the corner....I did a job out there today and it was 60 miles round trip. That was literally $25.00 in gas for my car. Can a superintendent have that kind of pull????
You sure have a friend in a high place SalSan. I feel bad for you Staten Island guys. They should give you guys an ez-pass at least.

Obviously Staten Island has the least amount of sanmen,only 3 garages. Does Brooklyn have the most sanmen or Manhattan? Bk has 18 districts,Queens-14,Bronx-12,Manhattan-12. I was just wondering the breakdown of the roster. I know that it changes daily according to the needs of the dept.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:02 AM

193 posts, read 281,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
You sure have a friend in a high place SalSan. I feel bad for you Staten Island guys. They should give you guys an ez-pass at least.

Obviously Staten Island has the least amount of sanmen,only 3 garages. Does Brooklyn have the most sanmen or Manhattan? Bk has 18 districts,Queens-14,Bronx-12,Manhattan-12. I was just wondering the breakdown of the roster. I know that it changes daily according to the needs of the dept.
I appreciate the thought about the e-z pass but let's hope people from Queens don't get sent to SI at lest we get a dicount on the toll being SI residence you would pay the full amount. If the city runs anything like the military ask for you lest favorite spot first and you favorite last they never give you what you want so you always ask for what you want last in the hopes of getting it. lol

Old 07-02-2008, 09:14 AM

473 posts, read 609,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekuai View Post
i know mike sconzo, he told me not to wear a tshirt. he told me to wear a button down shirt or a polo shirt. and definitely wear boots...do not come in uniform! lol
Did Mike Sconzo tell you what items we were required to purchase??? I was thinking about it and we all over spent because of the 3-1 jacket and from what I heard nobody wears that jacket. I'm just hoping we didn't buy a coat we don't need. I know in the past it was a required purchase, but for $315 total how can that be. Just curious what you were told or heard

Old 07-02-2008, 10:11 AM

1,810 posts, read 4,263,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe8 View Post
I appreciate the thought about the e-z pass but let's hope people from Queens don't get sent to SI at lest we get a dicount on the toll being SI residence you would pay the full amount. If the city runs anything like the military ask for you lest favorite spot first and you favorite last they never give you what you want so you always ask for what you want last in the hopes of getting it. lol
Nobody goes to Staten Island,nobody. Thing is you guys will be working nights,so traffic should be light..10:00pm-6:00am,12:00am-8:00am...4:00pm-12:00am...that shift could be bad but not if you leave early to avoid the start of the pm rush.

They should take into consideration where one lives and not just throw you anywhere but it is what it is. Since you were a military guy you should do well in this job. You don't see yourself putting in 20 yrs Joe?

Old 07-02-2008, 10:42 AM

105 posts, read 206,712 times
Hey guys, You are required to buy the "3in1" jacket (3 meaning fall, winter, spring) and of course you will use it - does anyone go to work or shopping or what ever in the winter without a jacket?? We work outside and we FREEZE lol!! There is a work detail during snow storms called "cross walks" this is 2 guys going out with a collection truck that has a load of salt in the hopper. They travel down a particular street and shovel and place salt on the 4 sidewalk corners of every block. This is on a 12 hour shift and it will be brutally cold and you will be wearing every piece of sanitation clothing you have and then some!!! Another example is if you are doing relays to NJ when it is cold. A lot of the trucks have heaters that dont work that well or not at all! Being stuck in traffic on the NJ turnpike or route 80 without heat is no fun!!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:53 AM

25 posts, read 46,759 times
Hey guyz... been a while just givin an update. went to mac's yesterday and spent 509... got all the required stuff plus 3 more t shirts n the rain gear (thought it was nice dsny rain gear...SIKE just some yellow colombia sh*t). well lookin forward to meetin everyone on monday. Enjoy ur last couple of days off guys. BTW steve that pic was horrible!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
Nobody goes to Staten Island,nobody. Thing is you guys will be working nights,so traffic should be light..10:00pm-6:00am,12:00am-8:00am...4:00pm-12:00am...that shift could be bad but not if you leave early to avoid the start of the pm rush.

They should take into consideration where one lives and not just throw you anywhere but it is what it is. Since you were a military guy you should do well in this job. You don't see yourself putting in 20 yrs Joe?
There is not a "10 pm to 6am" shift in Sanitation. the shifts are as follows - 12am to 8am, 6am to 2pm(spring summer fall only) 7am to 3pm, 8am to 4pm, 11am to 7pm, 2pm to 10 pm, 4pm to 12am and 7pm to 3am.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:30 AM

136 posts, read 206,428 times
very few people warer that 3n1 jacketwork even in the winter very uncomftorble to work in.in the winter i wear themal pants and thermal long sleeve with a tshirt and a sweater and the thermal hoodie last.[quoted =NYCsanman;4310258]Hey guys, You are required to buy the "3in1" jacket (3 meaning fall, winter, spring) and of course you will use it - does anyone go to work or shopping or what ever in the winter without a jacket?? We work outside and we FREEZE lol!! There is a work detail during snow storms called "cross walks" this is 2 guys going out with a collection truck that has a load of salt in the hopper. They travel down a particular street and shovel and place salt on the 4 sidewalk corners of every block. This is on a 12 hour shift and it will be brutally cold and you will be wearing every piece of sanitation clothing you have and then some!!! Another example is if you are doing relays to NJ when it is cold. A lot of the trucks have heaters that dont work that well or not at all! Being stuck in traffic on the NJ turnpike or route 80 without heat is no fun!![/quote]

Old 07-02-2008, 12:05 PM

473 posts, read 609,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the commisioner View Post
very few people warer that 3n1 jacketwork even in the winter very uncomftorble to work in.in the winter i wear themal pants and thermal long sleeve with a tshirt and a sweater and the thermal hoodie last.[quoted =NYCsanman;4310258]Hey guys, You are required to buy the "3in1" jacket (3 meaning fall, winter, spring) and of course you will use it - does anyone go to work or shopping or what ever in the winter without a jacket?? We work outside and we FREEZE lol!! There is a work detail during snow storms called "cross walks" this is 2 guys going out with a collection truck that has a load of salt in the hopper. They travel down a particular street and shovel and place salt on the 4 sidewalk corners of every block. This is on a 12 hour shift and it will be brutally cold and you will be wearing every piece of sanitation clothing you have and then some!!! Another example is if you are doing relays to NJ when it is cold. A lot of the trucks have heaters that dont work that well or not at all! Being stuck in traffic on the NJ turnpike or route 80 without heat is no fun!!
[/quote]
The reason I asked is like I said before I have family otj and none of them ever wear the 3-1 jacket. Then DSNY is saying we will only spend $315 and those who bought the uni all spent well over $450. Why spend $150 on a coat we are never going to use.
I know DSNY is covering their butts because you will always get one idiot to turn around and say they didn't know they would be working in the cold/rain/snow/etc..and needed a weather resistant coat.

Good times....Can't wait for Monday

Old 07-02-2008, 12:44 PM

The reason I asked is like I said before I have family otj and none of them ever wear the 3-1 jacket. Then DSNY is saying we will only spend $315 and those who bought the uni all spent well over $450. Why spend $150 on a coat we are never going to use.
I know DSNY is covering their butts because you will always get one idiot to turn around and say they didn't know they would be working in the cold/rain/snow/etc..and needed a weather resistant coat.

Good times....Can't wait for Monday[/quote]
Like I said before.. you dont have a jacket on in the winter when you go out? Is being employed by sanitation a different universe? cold is cold. Like the 'comissioner" said and you said about your relatives on the job... they dont use jackets...because probably..they run up routes. Literally run down the street. Of course when you put your self through this level of physical activity you have your blood pumping and you dont feel the cold. But - that is just collection; like I said before- there is a lot more things being done in the winter than that. IE MLP crosswalks and relays. I hope all you guys get on the job soon, it is a great job. That being said come comment on this thread 6 months from now about how you are freezing your butt off being outside. I only post with good intentions to give advice to you guys nothing more, and silly me I thought wearing a JACKET in sub freezing weather would be good advice. lol lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City