U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-04-2008, 10:20 AM

193 posts, read 275,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyD28 View Post
Hey Guys,
Im Anthony and im glad I just found this website !!!
I wish all the boys good luck this Monday on your first day !!!!.
My list number is 1437 I got a 96 on the test plus 5 city points and it puts me at 101.25 . Would anyone know how many more classes are going in from this current list (6063)....thanks and good luck to everyone Happy 4th Anthony
Welcome aboard like you were told catch up on all 400 + pages and you will probable be called by then. LOL keep reading and tell anyone else about it. We will keep posting right through FBF training so you "new guys" (lol) can keep up with what's going on.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:44 AM

502 posts, read 677,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyD28 View Post
Hey Guys,
Im Anthony and im glad I just found this website !!!
I wish all the boys good luck this Monday on your first day !!!!.
My list number is 1437 I got a 96 on the test plus 5 city points and it puts me at 101.25 . Would anyone know how many more classes are going in from this current list (6063)....thanks and good luck to everyone Happy 4th Anthony
Welcome. You'll get called from this list. Depending on how many people they need, hopefully it will be in 2009. Not everyone that gets called gets hired. You have time to get everything in order and not be 2 of the 3 people who miss it. Get your cdl, have all of your paperwork in order, make sure you don't do drugs......This way when they call, you'll be ready....

Old 07-04-2008, 11:50 AM

502 posts, read 677,420 times
I don't know what we'll have to wear for training. Probably just the regular t-shirts and the green pants. I bought the gloves from macs too. They are orange, kind of heavy material. They said dsny accepts them. Another thing is that I bought steeltoe woorkboots and people are telling me they are no good. That they are uncomfortable and the steel is no good.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:59 AM

136 posts, read 201,049 times
steel toe is noo good.i like the black magnums with the bubble on the side.if its really hot i just wear my black shox.have a nice 4th everybody and goodluck to all of u starting monday.dont be late and dont fall aslleep in class!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsan View Post
I don't know what we'll have to wear for training. Probably just the regular t-shirts and the green pants. I bought the gloves from macs too. They are orange, kind of heavy material. They said dsny accepts them. Another thing is that I bought steeltoe woorkboots and people are telling me they are no good. That they are uncomfortable and the steel is no good.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:52 PM

5 posts, read 5,660 times
Thanks Guys, for the quick response's
In the next few weeks Im going to get my cdl permit.
Im looking forward to getting this job. I know there's still a lot for me to go thru even with a good list numbeer (1437) . I dont have an issue with drugs . But Im worried about the medical. Im 36 years old and in decent shape I have no issues that I know about .But as im learning ...thier really pickey. Hopefully they wont turn me away because of my beer belly hahaha its not that bad cause im really tall(6ft 5in) But I will get the wax cleaned out of my ears before that exam. I read that a guy was turned down for hearing issues !!!!
Ive been with my current job for 18 years I make about 65,000(with overtime), 5 weeks vacation,10 sick days and 15 holidays. But Ill have to work till im dead .Theres no medical when you retire So that will mean id have to stay until im 67 years old to recieve medicade. 20 years with the dsny sounds like a dream come true. Ill have to go on wellfare for the first 5 1/2 years but what the hell its worth it hahahaha !!!
Thanks for reading and im looking forward to reading everyone's post's after thier first day on the job..........goodluck boys !!!!!.......Anthony

Old 07-04-2008, 01:15 PM

1,810 posts, read 4,057,371 times
15 holidays? that is more than DSNY gets(I believe 12 paid holidays a year). I am sure your not the only one who is going to take at least a 50% pay cut,most of the "older guys" ..30+,want this job for the benefits and pension.

I am 3 yrs older than you,your just a kid,lol. One thing that sucks about getting older is gaining weight. Going bald,grey hairs don't bother me much.

Definitely work on your permit Anthony,and it would be a good idea to go to a private driving school and obtain your CDL on your own and at your own time.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:04 PM

473 posts, read 589,237 times
Hey guys, Have a happy and safe 4th of July. Don't drink and drive today or ever, trust me it's not worth it.
I look forward to seeing you guys Monday.
I rented a tux, do you think I will be overdressed??? I will have on work boots and gloves

Old 07-04-2008, 03:19 PM

105 posts, read 201,340 times
Smile steel toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsan View Post
Steel toe = no good - for most factory jobs. What I heard about this from former unions was that if you dont wear steel toes, maybe something will fall on your foot. What I heard from veterans is that it is better to get your big toe broken than sliced off by the kitchen knife that is in your shoe. Honestly- I cant tell you how safe steel toes are.... but I can say something heavy falling on your toes are the last thing we are afraid of in this job. We are not afraid of the weight of the bags/objects more what the F+++k is inside these bags. When you are picking up garbage; and soon you will be (good for you!!) when you hit those handles to cycle that truck ... move away. This cant be said enough. Natural curiosity makes us look but get away from the back of that truck. The minimun prize for you will be a face full of "hopper juice" the maximum god forbid will be what happened to Sanitation worker Micheal Hanley a few years back. Anyway, Salsan use those steel toe boots for now, you will be working outside. A pallet of factory products will not be falling on your toes. Next boots you buy make sure they are #1 leather.. leather breaths and #2 comfortable.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:48 PM

193 posts, read 275,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAPES24 View Post
Hey guys, Have a happy and safe 4th of July. Don't drink and drive today or ever, trust me it's not worth it.
I look forward to seeing you guys Monday.
I rented a tux, do you think I will be overdressed??? I will have on work boots and gloves
Just make sure you got the cleaning included!

Old 07-04-2008, 04:21 PM

105 posts, read 201,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RETIRED SANMAN View Post
GUY'S JUST A REMINDER YOU START MONDAY THAT MEAN'S YOUR ON THE JOB FIRST UP THE BEST TO YOU" YOU HAVE HIT THE LOTTERY"NOW I'LL GET TO THE POINT AS OF MONDAY THE NEW YORK CITY SANITATION DEPT. CAN NOW TEST YOU AT ANY TIME FOR DRINK OR DRUG'S IN YOUR SYSTEM ,IF YOU GET CAUGHT YOU WILL BE FIRED ,THE UNION CAN DO NOTHING FOR YOU AT ALL,"AND YOU ARE PAYING UNION DUE'S }I SAW IN MY TIME GROW MEN CRY BECAUSE THEY BLEW IT.THE OTJ GUY'S CAN TELL YOU A FEW STORIES .WHEN YOU GET TO YOUR GARAGE FIND OUT WHO THE SHOP STEWARD IS, A GOOD GARAGE THE STEWARD WILL GO TO YOU FIRST THEY WILL GET YOU YOUR LOCKER AND ADVISE YOU ABOUT THE JOB.ANOTHER THING GUY'S KEEP YOUR HOME LIFE TO YOURSELF,LISTEN AND LEARN ABOUT THE JOB ,KEEP AWAY FROM THE JERK'S,YOU WILL MEET ALL TYPE'S OF PEOPLE ON THIS JOB KNOW IT ALL'S AND GUY'S WHO THINK THEY ARE BETTER THEN YOU BECAUSE THEY HAVE YOU BEAT,BE SAFE OUT ON THE STREET'S "IN THE FIELD" AS THEY SAY ON THE JOB.
He is correct with every thing he said. Listen to him he just speaks from experience -- what I can offer more is this ...more of the same .. what I was thinking he already said..Years ago I was a trainer for Sanitaion.. did this NOT for seniority, mind you.. did this for weekends off with my family.The one trick that comes to mind is this .... You will be outside in the field and an instructor will come invite you to get in a cab of a collection truck and start her up. He would of previously told the group of you the details but when its your chance you will have forgotten.. heres the trick so you wont get fooled. Put your key in the ignition, turn the "cut off switch" on and the most important turn the packer switch off. the truck will not start with out you doing this. You might be turning the ignition like your normal car with no results but if the "packer switch" is not "off" nothing is gonna happen" Trust me he will bait you.. just get it right and tell him you are a member of this thread. lol good luckguys I wish you all the best ... Peace n love.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City