Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 04:06 PM

389 posts, read 774,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAPES24 View Post
Did OJT garage duty today with 3 Bills at BK4 Left my house at 7:26 got there at 7:30. Not bad the GU Mike was really helpful. We changed tires, it is definitely a 1 man job, very easy, we took off tires 7,8,9,&10 so the mechanic can fix the brakes.
I drove the Broom which was pretty cool. Also learned how to dump the broom and clean it and grease it.
We got to hang out with the BK North Superintendent for a while and that's never a bad thing.
I got to see where the recycling in Bk north all goes. If anybody has to go to BK1 or 4 the dump is actually behind there garage. I also went to Queens and saw where the Repair shops are. I knew they were there because they are like 5 minutes from me but I never knew it was the only one in the city.
I hope everybody elses OJT was good and for anybody night driving good luck and be safe.
Did mine at Q5 with the guy that Philly calls 'Cartoon' who sits next to 'Tex'. We banged out about 10 tires by 9:30, walked the perimeter of the garage and the parking lot picking up trash, took a couple breaks here and there, foreman was a good guy. One of the collection trucks coming in at lunch had a full blowout (foreman thought it was a double blowout and wasn't happy they brought it in. Tire was smoking when we pulled it off, inside was fine. GU went and followed him in since it was a couple blocks away from the garage. Chilled out some more then we cleaned up each truck's cab and side bin and made a map of the floor.
Q5 dumps on shift since they only go over to Review Avenue.
One of the guys there who has connections downtown said that no spots are available in Queens West for us and that there may be a bunch going to Queens East.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:45 PM

473 posts, read 931,928 times
By the way while we were in the super's office we got to see the study guide for the supervisor's exam. I am not lieing it is at least 7 inches thick. I could not believe it. More then 3 times the size of the book we got

Old 07-18-2008, 05:36 PM

71 posts, read 130,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAPES24 View Post
By the way while we were in the super's office we got to see the study guide for the supervisor's exam. I am not lieing it is at least 7 inches thick. I could not believe it. More then 3 times the size of the book we got
It's actually 7.39857 inches thick. Just joking. I can't imagine having to study all of that crap for one exam. Today was good though. Besides getting some on the job training, it's very interesting to hear different points of view from guys with varying time on and different attitudes towards the job.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:04 PM

23 posts, read 53,883 times
Exclamation FEL training

Hello fellow union brothers. I decided to get off the sidelines and contribute to the blog. The FEL training was fun, you guys will enjoy it. You know the Tonker toy truck you play with as a kid. Well I got to drive one today.We went through the obsticle course. We also pickup sand and rocks.Three days of training and a written test on the end of the third day.Also you are judged on your driving and handling of the mighty machine.Why was the supervisor looking at me when he said that.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:24 PM

131 posts, read 245,052 times
OKay a friend of mine who is otj has a friend that got called for final today and his number is 464. So it isn't too bad maybe they got farther than that but who knows. I still dont think I have a shot at August. However, my otj friend says that the Union president said something about a September and October class. I often forget myself being employed in the private sector that the union will have a say in how many guys have to be on the job too. The city cant just say that they want to cut back on the amount of jobs. So there is strength with this union and there are bigger forces at play here. I hope what he said is true. Anyway I hope you guys that have been appointed are doing well and the guys that are going for final have all their stuff together. Have a good weekend guys.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:51 PM

473 posts, read 931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deburca View Post
Hello fellow union brothers. I decided to get off the sidelines and contribute to the blog. The FEL training was fun, you guys will enjoy it. You know the Tonker toy truck you play with as a kid. Well I got to drive one today.We went through the obsticle course. We also pickup sand and rocks.Three days of training and a written test on the end of the third day.Also you are judged on your driving and handling of the mighty machine.Why was the supervisor looking at me when he said that.
So it's your first post, who are you??? Enquiring minds want to know

Old 07-18-2008, 06:56 PM

656 posts, read 1,412,061 times
lol when grassi and I showed up to bk10 this morning they did not even expect us. I actually went on 1 relay to the dump with the GU guy. The dump is literally a block away from bk10.
First you back up into one bay to get weighed. The guy gives you a card and a printout. Then you take the truck and back it up into the next bay. Here is where you dump the truck. Finally you pull out and back into the last bay where you get weighed again and hand the guy your card and he hands you a receipt. Mike, my GU guy let me do everything from driving the truck to dumping the truck. This is the first time us newbies at FBF were exposed to REAL GARBAGE. lol. it took me a while to get used to the smell and garbage juice but I think im starting to get used to it since im from staten island. lol.

The GU guy also showed us how an FEL works...he then took the fel and cleaned the grass area where the garbage wound up from washing out the trucks. Nick and I had to cycle the hopper each time he took a load to a collection truck. We also had to sweep and shovel the stuff that fell out of the hopper.

After this whole ordeal, he took us to our first break at 7-11. After we got back from break the GU showed us how to BUILD a plow. At around 11pm we were already done and all the guys started coming back from their routes. We then watched tv till 3:30 and went home.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:07 PM

300 posts, read 659,232 times
It sounds like you guys had a really interesting day seeing what happens otj .. IT also seems like you guys had good teachers at the garages ! Hope everyone has a good weekend and sleeps good..

Old 07-18-2008, 07:38 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhc123 View Post
OKay a friend of mine who is otj has a friend that got called for final today and his number is 464. So it isn't too bad maybe they got farther than that but who knows. I still dont think I have a shot at August. However, my otj friend says that the Union president said something about a September and October class. I often forget myself being employed in the private sector that the union will have a say in how many guys have to be on the job too. The city cant just say that they want to cut back on the amount of jobs. So there is strength with this union and there are bigger forces at play here. I hope what he said is true. Anyway I hope you guys that have been appointed are doing well and the guys that are going for final have all their stuff together. Have a good weekend guys.

Great post nyhc123! That is what makes this job so great,the union. There is no job security in the private sector anymore. The days of working at the same job for your entire working life are over. Even if there are 2 more classes this year it will still be a low amount of new hires for this year.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:42 PM

2 posts, read 6,468 times
Default Exam 6063

Hi i took the sanitation worker exam # 6063 in june 2007. my list number is #7623. I have Veterans staus. Is there a chance that im gonna get called soon??? My test score was a 96
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City