Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 07:23 AM

253 posts, read 540,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon7280 View Post
Hey Guys,

List number 667 called Human Resources( 346 Broadway ) and told me to come to this website to register since I am on the list as well. I actually work there ( I been working there for 4 years) as well and took the test to become an Sanitation Worker. My list number is 552. So like many other guys I am waiting to be called. I took my CDL training in the week of june 2 and I passed.
I didn't get to read all the pages of the thread yet but a lot of interesting questions I see. I get a lot of these questions everyday when I answer the phones and I get the typical " hey I took the test for Sanitation worker 6063 and my list number is xxx so when will I get hired" and I try to be as real and honest with them since I understand their eagerness to get the job. Get to talk to alot of friendly people and many of them thank me because supposedly when they call other people they get answers that really dont help them or answer their question or they get an "Sir, we will call you. You haven't been passed or skipped I can't tell you when we will be calling you" ( which isn't wrong in itself and its true but I sure your calling to at least feel that your not just number but an person ).
Does anyone else work here in the department? And not as an newly appointed Sanitation worker. I see that there are couple of Sanitation Workers here that been in the department for awhile so whats up . I know a couple of Chiefs and directors. I am sure everyone here knows Jimmy Tramposh or however your spell his last name. He is a cool guy I like him alot.
So I guess I can be your inside help if you wish to call it that hahaha. You can ask an question and I will try to answer it. Mind you If I feel an certain question deals with confidental information or i just dont feel like i should answer it then I will kindly not answer it, but dont be afraid to ask it, if i can i will answer it, if i cant then I will say i cant but i will try my best to perhaps give you an answer that gives your an general idea if its possible, after all I dont want to get in trouble either . For example, if someone ask me if they are in the next class after august I wont go to my office and check the bins to see where they are and if they are projected to make the next class. But what I will do is give my opinion on when they should expect to called. Like if list number 600 calls me I would tell him that he should make the next class. Another reason why I dont do that is because people can always be bumped out. I was projected at one point to make the August class and now I was bumped out by people with an lower list number by me. Right now I am projected to make the next class after the august class. Now using common sense anyone with an lower list number than mines and has everything ready and just waiting to be called for final processing should be able to put together that logically that means they are in the next class. And anyone with an list number that is higher than mines but is near within the next 50-70 numbers higher than mines should be able to put together that they have a pretty good shot of making an next class. Or if list number 562 wants to know if he will be in the next class I will say he has a very good chance and who knows, perhaps i know that he is projected to make it but i wont say it because he(or she), like anyone else including myself, can be bumped out by the people with lower list numbers that were sleeping in an coma thru the first 2 classes and then suddenly woke up and decided to get there stuff together and then are projected to make the next class, so who ever was at the end of the list is pushed off to the next class.
Also if I say something and I say Don't take it to the bank then DONT TAKE IT TO THE BANK. For example, I often tell the people that call if there is going to be another class and when that usually they always call for an class or 2 of Sanitation workers in the fall/winter, BUT I ALWAYS TELL THEM THIS DOESNT MEAN ITS GOING TO HAPPEN SO DONT QUOTE ME ON IT AND GET PLAN ON IT, all it means is that based on history of the 4 years of me working there that we always get a class or 2 before the end of the year so logically speaking it is safe to ASSUME that there will be another class this year since we always have people retiring or getting fired or just quitting(like 3 people in the first class have left) or etc. For all we know something might happen maybe there isn't an class till the spring of next year. I doubt if that will happen but we all know the economy isn't doing well and tomorrow is never certain when it comes to anything in our lives.
That being said, I will get the exact number but today was the final day for final processing for the Aug class. We reached into the #430's but I will make sure to see what the last number was. I haven't heard anything offical of an other class after August. I hope there is one and most likely there will be but who knows. In previous years perhaps I would of been hired already but as most of you guys know the Economy isn't doing well and people are jumping at this job since it is a great job, before people might delay their appointment or keep their jobs. For the people that are waiting just dont do anything stupid like break an leg or something. If you love drinking then make sure you do it before you get appointed because you can get in trouble if they spot test you.
Anyways I hope to meet you guys when I get appointed and hopefully I can learn for you guys because I just got my drivers license in April and my CDL in June so I am still an baby when it comes to the road. I think I made an record for learning how to drive an car and then an truck lol. I hope to make alot of friends and learn something for each of you guys whether its driving skills or just life experences since I am still young (23). I made acouple of friends that were in the first 2 classes and I feel kinda sad that I wouldn't be with them. But I will know some people in my class that I am in and I am always eager to get to know other people. After all its always good to know people, you never know, the person you your talking to might be an Chief one day :P hehehehe.
oh well I wrote to much anyways. Sorry for the long read. Well hope to reply back to you.

This answered the above question... Dont know how I missed it...

Old 07-30-2008, 07:28 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7xxSanitList View Post
This answered the above question... Dont know how I missed it...
Out of the 5000+ posts in here,his was the hardest to read,lol,any other forum he would have been taken to task for not writing in short paragraphs. Anyway I am glad that he registered.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:28 AM

26 posts, read 46,657 times
Default Manhattan

We have heard a lot about the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens on this forum but not much about Manhattan. Any of the guys that are on the job what are your feelings about Manhattan garages. Which ones are the best and which ones are the worst? What is the work like - collection, baskets, sweeping, etc. Any additional info you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

-Mike

Old 07-30-2008, 09:41 AM

257 posts, read 507,835 times
i would love to work in manhattan, the city is freakin great man so many different people and no day is ever the same..... i kno someone mentioned the shifts.. theres no night shifts are there like doin collections or watever only private right? manhattan at night is a different world man, its the morning congestion that sucks

Old 07-30-2008, 09:53 AM

162 posts, read 575,256 times
Hello Epyon7280,

Is there anyway we could see a list with all the adjusted scores....scores that had a decimal at the end of their list numbers, ie., 287.4, 323.5, 409.5, etc.............Not like the list that was published in the Chief Leader that only had whole numbers and the scores were not adjusted.

"cause they say my number is 571 but its really not theres definitely a lot more then 570 people ahead of me with all the .5's and .4's maybe even .3's and i would like to know what my actual list number is..... there could be a .5 between every number before mine which means my number could be like 1000 somthing or it could only be a few...."

You stated that they called into the 430’s for both classes, but do you know the exact number of individuals called in total because of those people with adjusted scores and list numbers?

Old 07-30-2008, 09:56 AM

163 posts, read 328,373 times
Shifts
11Pm-7AM Ro-Ro (sometimes Relays)

12am-8am Baskets, Relays, MLP, GU, Hand Brooms

6am To 2pm Collection, baskets, MLP, Hand brooms, GU, Fuel, Wrecker, As well as Occasional Jobs, Transport and porter slots.

7am to 3pm= See 6am to 2pm

11am to 7pm Baskets

1pm to 9pm occasional Vendor truck (you go out with police and they confiscate

illegal vendors items)

4pm-12am Gu, School truck (when schools open), baskets, MLP, Some Relays

7pm-3am Relays

Someone asked on this forum about all the shifts this is what my garage has. It's a manhattan garage. A good one at that. A little run and dump and a lot of stay out till cut off time.
We protect junior men (and Women) on probation. Manhattan garages are for the most part pretty much the same. 12+ tons on average (not that you guys need to worry about that for a few years anyway). Maybe your first thirty days you will see the truck (actual Collection). Routes are average (i have been to brooklyn garages and laugh at the weights (Recycling).
All the best to you new guys and or gals. I will say when you get to your garages (you find out tomorrow, Thursday) dont just rush and put in a transfer, give it time you may like it. I't rough at first bouncing shift to shift but the time goes by real fast and before you know it you will have options (seniority and a few guys beat. On monday when you get to your garage, get there a lil early and meet the shop stewrds. Even try calling on saturday get the info from the clerk on how to get to the garage as well as your section stewards name. Shoot you may even want to go to that garage on saturday and try and get a locker assignment.

Again Best wishes and good luck.

DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED IT GETS ROUGH AND SOME IDIOT SUPERVISORS MAY TRY AND MAKE YOU DO THINGS THEY KNOW THEY ARE NOT SUPPOSE TO BECAUSE YOUR A PROBY. learn and know your job duties, the contract and if in doubt ASK ASK ASK. There are no stupid questions...wait sometimes there are but you know what i mean.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:02 AM

8am to 4pm (Made a slight error)...GU WRecker and FUEL Slots Transport as well as Jobs and Porter.

made a mistake on last post and put it under 6am to 2pm

Old 07-30-2008, 10:04 AM

Transport and jobs may be taking a truck to another location (How do you think those trucks got to FBF) JOBS and Transports.

Or maybe a truck need to go for warranty to Mack Dealer.

Sometimes a JOB Can be emptying a collection truck manually...So when you see the board and you see your name under job find out what the job is.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:05 AM

300 posts, read 659,310 times
That is pretty good information , i would love to get in M1 if i can .. real easy to get too and close to my second job ...

thanks for the info !

Old 07-30-2008, 10:08 AM

ALSO there should be parking at your garage...Dont be the fool and park in the Supers, Garage Foreman, Clerks or section supervisors spot...not a good way to start the day. LOL and yes it has happened. Dont want to **** anyone off on the first day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City