U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 03:26 PM

655 posts, read 1,236,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterwolf View Post
what kind of uniform should we wear on day 2? the t-shirt or the short sleeve button? tuck or no tuck?
either tshirt or short sleeve button down is ok. you are supposed to tuck your shirt in at all times but at FBF they don't really care unless the commissioner or a chief is in the building...in that case make sure you tuck and look presentable.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
For guys OJT, are they serious about only being late once for 18 months? I'm not planning on being a truancy problem, but DSNY cannot possibly forsee what can happen. What if someone's mom is in the hospital or if your car breaks down. I would think that if you called your supervisor they would take care of you. Maybe I'm just being naive, but I would think sanmen would take care of their own. Can someone clarify this for me cause if that were the case there would be a lot of firings and all that money spent on investigations and training would be wasted. If someone was just godawful, late and complaining all the time that's 1 thing. But if someone works hard for the job and then is late once gets sh*tcanned. Is that fair. OJT guys please respond
Please don't double post if no one answered your original question. But yes they are serious. Everything you do will be presented in front of an employee evaluation board at the end of your probation. If you are lucky and they don't fire you for excessive latenesses, they will most likely extend your probation. If you need to take off from work because of something god forbid as your mom being in the hospital and you don't have any leave time available you can go XWOP (excused wtihout pay) however, you most prove that your mom was really in the hospital. You can't just go XWOP because you were out drinking last night or you just don't feel like going to work.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:35 PM

17 posts, read 30,470 times
Good luck to the august class.i hope there is at least one more class this year,i am at 13hundred and##, when do you people think my time will come

Old 08-10-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipez View Post
i forgot all about the work gloves... i'll go to home depot in a little while and get a pair .. Goodluck to everyone tomorrow .. !!
Congratulations to you and prepare for your most BORING week as a sanitation worker ever. You will see what I'm talking about soon...Just remember...if you feel like you are going to fall asleep, stand up...go to the bathroom if necessary to splash some water on your face and stand at the back or side of the classroom. If you see your fellow sanman asleep, do him a favor and wake him up.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
rule of thumb: it's better to be 15 min. too early than 15 min. too late.
15 minutes is cutting it close. most guys get there at least 30 minutes to 1 hr and even some people 2hrs. You never know if you will hit killer traffic on the BQE or the Belt. You will hear this over and over again: the hardest thing about this job is just getting to work on time.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhc123 View Post
Alright I am not on the job but what I am seeing here is that there tends to be 2 schools of thought.

a. Finish as fast as possible and go back to the garage to do nothing.
b. Pace yourself take your time(work like a gentlemen).

I think a. is definately the most enticing but the most sesceptable to trouble. If you are sitting around the house sleeping there is more likelyhood of somebody busting your b***s and changing things around so that will no longer be possible. The city doesnt understand because they dont have to break their asses doing the work. I think SanMen should be entitled to sit around and do nothing for half of the day given the job that they do. However common sense would tell you that b. is the safe bet. And that goes for any job. Slow down pace yourself. Look busy and everyone is happy. I am in a television union and it is pretty much the same. Now there arent the repercussions of finishing early that SanMen have, but management does look down upon people that are sitting around doing nothing. Maybe one day they will try to squeeze two jobs into one. If I am too busy to do two jobs for the price of one it will never happen. Everybody needs to do the right thing for the union and their union brothers even if it isnt the easy way out. Food for thought.
As a probationary sanitation worker I suggest you do whatever the rest of the garage does. If they run, you run. If they stay out you stay out. You don't want the supervisor to know your name because you want to be a rebel. Most likely you will be put with a senior man from the garage. Just follow his suite but make sure he knows your on probation. For the most part they will look out for you.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:10 PM

876 posts, read 1,851,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekuai View Post
The department of sanitation is a para-military uniformed force. This ain't no job at the pizza place down the block. PLEASE take this job seriously.

If you don't think they are serious then look at this:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q129/thekuai/scans017.jpg (broken link)

That's right. They just fired this guy about a month ago mainly because of the 2 AWOLs (absent without official leave)
That sucks. How did you get this? Did you know the guy?

Old 08-10-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
That sucks. How did you get this? Did you know the guy?

They gave a copy to each newly appointed sanman at FBF to remind us what can happen if we go awol

Old 08-10-2008, 04:54 PM

148 posts, read 234,436 times
Come on, if the guy was AWOL a couple of times then he deserves to be fired

Old 08-10-2008, 04:57 PM

148 posts, read 234,436 times
double post. I'm sorry the kuai, but there might be people on this post that know the answer that haven't read it yet. I thought this site was for helping people get on the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City