U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2008, 06:12 PM

655 posts, read 1,206,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
What was the reasoning for overhiring during the last exam? Roughly how many people is DSNY over? a few hundred? 1,000+?

What are lines?
basically on any cleaning or collection detail you will get a route sheet. On the sheet there is a list of streets to hit called lines. It also tells you what side of the street to hit. For example the first two lines could say:

Side Street. From. To
L/S BROOK AVE 161st 156st
B/S TRINITY AVE 157st 163st

Old 08-21-2008, 06:35 PM

82 posts, read 127,851 times
did you guys have to disclose any surgeries for the medical ?

Old 08-21-2008, 07:18 PM

1,810 posts, read 5,912,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offwing View Post
I'm the back up supers clerk in my garage and I remember one day the first week of June the City was over 536 guys .Trust me thats alot...
I see,but every day guys call in sick,that number has to be easily over a hundred a day probably. My point is that the dept is never running at full capacity.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:20 PM

1,810 posts, read 5,912,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekuai View Post
basically on any cleaning or collection detail you will get a route sheet. On the sheet there is a list of streets to hit called lines. It also tells you what side of the street to hit. For example the first two lines could say:

Side Street. From. To
L/S BROOK AVE 161st 156st
B/S TRINITY AVE 157st 163st
Thanks,understood. No sweeping sidewalks right? That is the responsibility of the business owner or homeowner.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:43 PM

241 posts, read 492,091 times
Quote:
I see,but every day guys call in sick,that number has to be easily over a hundred a day probably. My point is that the dept is never running at full capacity.
Yes lots of guys go sick and at the same time guys return from sick.What im saying is there are alot more guys now then a couple of years back .I remember about 5 or 6 years back there were days the city was short alot of the times or if they were over they would be over 5 or 10 guys now that a big difference.And I know alot of people say well people are retiring but if we they don't start making some money they ain't going anywhere .In my garage 1 guy retired in the past 2 1/2 years and the next guy who is going to retire will retire in a year and a half .The top 10 guys in my garage all have over 25 years on and they all say if they left now there pension would be crap because they are making no money No charts No sundays No overtime ..

Old 08-21-2008, 07:47 PM

364 posts, read 621,762 times
Quote:
Thanks,understood. No sweeping sidewalks right? That is the responsibility of the business owner or homeowner.
one brooms length from the street, and in some neighborhoods the whole sidewalk........

Old 08-21-2008, 08:44 PM

876 posts, read 1,796,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offwing View Post
They will put out a couple of MLP trucks put out extra Brooms and send guys out of town .We don't run and dump we are out all day if we dump then there will be nothing for the relay men to do and we run about 16 relay men a nite .
I wish every district was like that. Only a hand full of districts like yours left.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:45 PM

136 posts, read 251,487 times
the dept is over manned.us guys otj dont want to discourage anybody just saying that there is no more extra money outthere.people do not retire from this job,when summer is over and vacations slot arent filled up mlp for all u new guys

Old 08-21-2008, 09:50 PM

335 posts, read 641,684 times
ok to answer some questions,

If there was a class in october yes I would know about it in September if not sooner. Because we need to prepare all the paper work to be filled as well as calling you guys to report to 346 B'way for final Processing.
The truth is that for sanitation workers we are over head count. Granted I am sure if we had the money to hire being over the head count wouldn't be an issue but since the economy isn't doing well they aren't going to go more over the head count. Someone asked how many sanitation workers do we have in the agency, I think dsny.nyc.gov has that info, is it the accurate amount? probably not, its probably not kept up to date lol but its probably close to it. I could find out the exact amount but it wouldn't really help you or anyone.
One thing that sucks is that the longer it takes to get another class the more less of an chance those with higher list numbers that are projected to make an 3rd class will make the 3rd class. Because those that missed the first 2 classes can get ready in the time and they have to be taken first. For example I can show you this in an smaller scale. In the the first class they had to call up to 302.5 to get hundred people. Now with that you might say "hey if they needed to reach into the 300 to get 100 san workers then I am for sure in with my list number of 552!!" But an month later we reached up to list number 484 for the august class. They only went 182 more. Within an month alot of guys that missed the first class got ready and were put into the second class and that is why we only got to 484 instead of an number like 593 or something like that.
So as we wait for another class those whose list number is in the 650+, their chances get smaller and smaller when guys get medicals overturned or CDL are finally achieved. Who knows maybe I will be bumped out lol. I was told I was for sure was going to make the 2nd class with my 552..... well look at me now LOL. Every freaking day 5 guys would call saying "I passed my CDL" and the further I would be pushed back before I wasn't in the class LOL. Oh well. :P

Old 08-22-2008, 07:13 AM

196 posts, read 359,714 times
Looks like the NYPD just got another big rise
NEW NYPD Contract Deal Reached - EMTBravo.net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.