U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-22-2008, 06:37 AM

1,810 posts, read 3,716,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offwing View Post
Yes lots of guys go sick and at the same time guys return from sick.What im saying is there are alot more guys now then a couple of years back .I remember about 5 or 6 years back there were days the city was short alot of the times or if they were over they would be over 5 or 10 guys now that a big difference.And I know alot of people say well people are retiring but if we they don't start making some money they ain't going anywhere .In my garage 1 guy retired in the past 2 1/2 years and the next guy who is going to retire will retire in a year and a half .The top 10 guys in my garage all have over 25 years on and they all say if they left now there pension would be crap because they are making no money No charts No sundays No overtime ..
I understand what you are saying,what is the average age of those top 10 guys in your garage? I bet some are only in their 40's. A pension is supposed to be just a part of your retirement income. I guess these guys are hoping for a $50k+ yr pension at the expense of their health and well being.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:52 AM

334 posts, read 474,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grins View Post
Looks like the NYPD just got another big rise
NEW NYPD Contract Deal Reached - EMTBravo.net
I wonder if Sanitation's Union going to try to get an better deal since Sanitation always paid more.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:37 AM

253 posts, read 328,866 times
NYPD Starting 42K top pay 76K not bad... Good for them... This can only be good for us at a bargaining table... And the got their vacation days back... These rookies went from 26k to 35k to 42k in less then a year. wow... Correct me if i'm wrong?

Old 08-22-2008, 08:27 AM

21 posts, read 29,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Tuesdays View Post
Originally Posted by RideThe Step
Things to do to avoid getting banged...Let's see first up get to work on time and make sure you know what shift you're on. Be in proper uniform and ready to work at roll call. If you don't understand what a boss is telling you ask questions to make sure you understand clearly. Watch your break times especially if on MLP. On collection stay on one side of the street,don't put the truck on a sidewalk or the wrong side of a street. Don't wave people or vehicles to go past or in front of you. When off the route always keep your seatbelt on. Keep personal things to yourself. Avoid anything that looks wrong to you. This includes alcohol,gambling,leaving your garage before your shift is done. If you need to pick up lunch during break let someone know this,garage supervisor,supers clerk, shop steward. Make sure you let whoever you work with you are on probation, many will help you avoid trouble. Your objective is to get thru probation and secure the job.Learn to mind your own business.Sticking your nose where it don't belong will make you sorry. Never forget that everyone around you at work was in your shoes at one time. The Chief, the super the shop steward all had to get thru probation. Most will take this into account if they see you honestly trying to do your job and avoid trouble.Remember it takes time on the job,for most people, before you get choice assignments.Being low man in seniority means bouncing shifts and catching lousy jobs. That's the price one pays at the bottom. The good thing is you can only move up. Hope my rambling helps. Good luck. Stay safe.
and I am sad to say there is no such thing as Santa Claus Too late I already did sometime back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Turkey Tuesday.....I liked your honesty the first time around about ways to get canned....also liked it the second time around. Hope guys in waiting read it. Then again, if they choose to ignore it, my list number moves up a notch or two. lol
Part of me wishes everyone took the job and getting the job for that matter a bit more serious. I know sitting down for hours listening to people talk is not the easiest thing to do....I know cause I used to have to do that in my past jobs. Anyway, till they call my number of 17xx, I'll wrap up my cdl which I have been procrastinating on, continue reading the sometimes funny, sometimes serious, and sometimes informative posts...and lastly take up some kind of damn hobby so i don't drive myself crazy waiting for more classes that may be happening..may not be happening...are happening...i heard in the fall...i heard in the winter...i heard in the spring...i heard 50 mor needed...i heard 75 more...i heard we are overstaffed...i heard a bunch are retiring...i heard a city wide hiring freeze...i heard we are merging with the canadian sanitation department...AAAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!! I do need a hobby.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:48 AM

1,810 posts, read 3,716,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon7280 View Post
I wonder if Sanitation's Union going to try to get an better deal since Sanitation always paid more.
We will find out in about 3 years when the current contract expires,but they do sometimes start to negotiate way before the contract ends.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:49 AM

300 posts, read 421,007 times
From what Local 831 told us they were already trying to see what we can get for our contract since PD was getting alot more .... ( that was before this big increase) So i can only imagine that they're definately going to try and reopen the contract to see what we can get !!

Old 08-22-2008, 09:01 AM

253 posts, read 328,866 times
Yeah they can reopen because pd went from 26K to 35K.... Its in some clause..... Somewhere....

Old 08-22-2008, 09:15 AM

46 posts, read 56,854 times
I believe the clause might be in the City Charter that Sanitation is supposed to be at the least 10% behind the PD. I could be wrong but that is what I heard. So it most likely will be opened up and discussed the question is when? I actually hope it takes a month or two and then hopefully, we will receive retro pay.

Worked my first OJT today, and enjoyed it. I was paired up with a great SanMan, he was was willing to provide some quality advice on driving the truck and how it handles. I did two relays of recycling to both Bayonne and Vesey Paper. The garage was great and everyone was welcoming. It definitely put my mind at ease and allowed me to relax and do the job as expected.

GOOD LUCK! to all of my fellow classmates who are beginning their OJT today and to those still being given a MO Challenge at FBF.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:19 AM

186 posts, read 220,426 times
Does anyone know why does the sanitation contract last for 4 years an the nypd last only for 2 years i wounder how long is the fdny contract

Old 08-22-2008, 12:30 PM

20 posts, read 69,150 times
Any DSNY in waiting or current DSNY employees from LI(nassau county) on the air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City