U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-26-2008, 10:11 AM

1,810 posts, read 3,929,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon7280 View Post
Well every month like 10-20 people often retire. For new classes, the ones that weren't serious about it often leave within a month or two ( which is like maybe 2 or 3 of them). Then give it a couple of months then I will see some of them quitting or just being terminated for many reasons(like another 5 perhaps). I would say it decreases in the winter since most guys have it made in their mind that they are going to do whatever they have to do to make alot of money when winter comes around.

If there is no Nov class then there will be no class for the rest of this year. November is the lastest. They usually dont have classes in December, Jan, or Feb.
Thanks Epyon,so only the strongest survive,hehe. So figure about 7-10 people leave after 1 year from a class of 100. As you can see I have a great interest in the amount of people leaving DSNY. I knew about DSNY having no classes over the winter months.

Lets hope for a record amount of snow this winter.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk419 View Post
I never understood why they would waste money on the test...waste money on the goods necessary to perform the job...cdl...uniform...etc, only to give up 3 months later. I think some people think/ convince themselves that this job is easy. Just because san men make it look easy doesn't mean it is...they are just good at what they do. I have been saving money from each pay check and brown bagging it to work every day for the last year and a half to make sure that when I take my pay cut and start struggling...that my struggle will be somewhat easier. I applied for sanitation over 10 years ago when it was a lottery to take the exam ( I lost) and made a huge mistake not applying 4 years ago when the exam opened up. I know the job is hard...I know how much is sucks wearing a rain coat in the rain when its hot out...I know trash stinks and that there is an endless supply of it...I know that 3 am showers before the heat in the apartment comes on in the winter suck and 5 am train rides suck...I don't kid myself. It just kills me to see people 3 months on the job leaving and new guys falling asleep...or coming in late already. Get out of the way so the guys who want it need it ad know what to do with it can start their careers.
I am cranky after a six day workweek, two back to back 12 hour shifts and and an endless supply of drones working in retail management.
Great post Willk419,I agree with you. I should add that they shouldn't hire people under 25 for this job. When you are younger you change your mind often about jobs and careers,maybe your still finishing up your college education,etc.

I would think that most of the people who quit within the first few months are the younger people. People over 25 and or who have families to support are going to take this job seriously. They will do whatever it takes to hold the job.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:34 AM

876 posts, read 1,224,409 times
Default Hey Epyon7280 can you please answer this question

I heard that there is going to be a supv class in sept. Is there any truth to this and if so how many should be in it?

Old 08-26-2008, 10:34 AM

257 posts, read 330,736 times
hey man thats not necessarily true im 23 and i cant wait to get on this job and bust my ass.... dont get me wrong i get what your saying..... but i actually consider myself very lucky to have a chance at gettin on at such a young age and trust me when i do get on im not lettin go of it for nothin

Old 08-26-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABE123 View Post
hey man thats not necessarily true im 23 and i cant wait to get on this job and bust my ass.... dont get me wrong i get what your saying..... but i actually consider myself very lucky to have a chance at gettin on at such a young age and trust me when i do get on im not lettin go of it for nothin
You know what I was talking about...nothing personal against anybody on this list who is under 25....you have the right attitude Abe. When you are in your 30's and 40's you have less room for mistakes than when you are in your 20's.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:48 AM

46 posts, read 58,608 times
I just want to say to everyone, that whether you are on the job now or hoping to come on, think twice about what you post before you post it. I know that this has been discussed earlier in the thread but after completing my third night of OJT, I am very thankful to have this opportunity and thankful that I've been able to work with some great Sanmen. In many years past, the individuals on the job with DSNY used to really look out for one another. There are still a few garages like that today, but unfortunately a lot of garages aren't that way. However, if you end up in a great garage that allows you certain luxuries, make sure you are appreciative of those luxuries. And please do not announce everything, because this is the greatest city job for a reason, and the more public exposure it has and the more publicity that is drawn to it, the less enjoyable it can be and the tighter the ship will be run.

So let's work to keep things off the radar. It will only benefit us in the long run.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:23 AM

876 posts, read 1,224,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSICandidate View Post
I just want to say to everyone, that whether you are on the job now or hoping to come on, think twice about what you post before you post it. I know that this has been discussed earlier in the thread but after completing my third night of OJT, I am very thankful to have this opportunity and thankful that I've been able to work with some great Sanmen. In many years past, the individuals on the job with DSNY used to really look out for one another. There are still a few garages like that today, but unfortunately a lot of garages aren't that way. However, if you end up in a great garage that allows you certain luxuries, make sure you are appreciative of those luxuries. And please do not announce everything, because this is the greatest city job for a reason, and the more public exposure it has and the more publicity that is drawn to it, the less enjoyable it can be and the tighter the ship will be run.

So let's work to keep things off the radar. It will only benefit us in the long run.
If I started posting information about how my district is ran people wouldnt want to become a sanitation worker and the public would feel bad for sanitation workers.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:08 PM

238 posts, read 348,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
You must also have a membership to a high end country club right? This is why nobody retires from the job,they have to maintain their high standard of living..after all this is America where one lives solely to impress people that they don't like.
No membership to a country club yet but trust me when my 20 years are in I'm gone.The only person I have to impress is myself......

Old 08-26-2008, 01:18 PM

71 posts, read 82,381 times
Quote:
Great post Willk419,I agree with you. I should add that they shouldn't hire people under 25 for this job. When you are younger you change your mind often about jobs and careers,maybe your still finishing up your college education,etc.

I would think that most of the people who quit within the first few months are the younger people. People over 25 and or who have families to support are going to take this job seriously. They will do whatever it takes to hold the job.
Perhaps it is the older guys who have a house, wife and kids who are quitting. We all know how small the paychecks are in the beginning. Unless they have money saved in preparation for the pay cut, it may be hard for them to cover the bills and therefore have to go back to whatever they were doing before.

Also if you do have kids, who watches them if your wife works and you can't hold a steady shift and you have no money for a babysitter?

Old 08-26-2008, 01:37 PM

136 posts, read 197,325 times
i was 18 when i got on the job in 2000 and i took this job seriously.everybody is different.we dont know why people quit.it can be many things.i personally think its better to start young.at the age i was i didnt have a wife or kids to answer to not a care in the world.the pay was great for me since it was my first real job.i saved for 6 yrs and bought a house,and im still only 26
Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City