U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-07-2008, 02:31 PM

57 posts, read 117,379 times
My bf is waiting to be called, hopefully the next class. We hear you all saying harsh things about the Bronx.

Are there ANY good districts in the Bronx? If you are going to be sent there, which are the ones to hope for & which are the ones to try to avoid?

Old 09-07-2008, 02:36 PM

655 posts, read 950,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbysgirl23 View Post
My bf is waiting to be called, hopefully the next class. We hear you all saying harsh things about the Bronx.

Are there ANY good districts in the Bronx? If you are going to be sent there, which are the ones to hope for & which are the ones to try to avoid?
Worked collection in Bx12 once. It's located near coop city. My partner did not run and dump. We took our time and our scheduled breaks. It is mostly residential. Avoid the west side. Avoid 1,3,4,5,7. I don't remember which garage but working in the garage that covers riverdale is nice....mostly upperclass residential trash.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:32 PM

241 posts, read 360,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
It seems like no one here knows the rules. When your last shift was nights you can not go out of town the next day. Sunday does not count because it is a premeire day. From what you wrote i get the impression you worked 12-8 on saturday if that is the case on monday you can not go out of town that is why the guy below you got the 6-2 shift and is going out of town.
In my garage the Jr guy would have been on the 12-8 for monday while the other guy would have been 6-2 and stayed in his garage because he came off the 12-8 shift forcing the next guy out of town .Seniority rules Senior man go's days .I'm the back up supers clerk in my garage and that's how I do the board from Sat for Mon.Shop stewards have even call the union about this rule and this is what I was told to do..

Old 09-07-2008, 04:03 PM

82 posts, read 96,418 times
Would it be hard for a new guy(<1 year) to get a 12-8am tissue? do those shifts pop up often?

Old 09-07-2008, 04:06 PM

655 posts, read 950,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1276 View Post
Would it be hard for a new guy(<1 year) to get a 12-8am tissue? do those shifts pop up often?
you can sign up for nights...your first 30 days u must stay days though

do you like baskets and relays? junior guys are usually forced nights anyways...a broom garage is your best bet.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:24 PM

876 posts, read 1,263,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offwing View Post
In my garage the Jr guy would have been on the 12-8 for monday while the other guy would have been 6-2 and stayed in his garage because he came off the 12-8 shift forcing the next guy out of town .Seniority rules Senior man go's days .I'm the back up supers clerk in my garage and that's how I do the board from Sat for Mon.Shop stewards have even call the union about this rule and this is what I was told to do..
You are sending the senior guy out of town. In my district it is done the way i discribed it.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:35 PM

163 posts, read 220,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1276 View Post
You have to be in a garage for 1 full year to get a tissue.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:51 PM

241 posts, read 360,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
You are sending the senior guy out of town. In my district it is done the way i discribed it.
I'm not saying my way is right or your way is wrong .Im saying this is the way I was told from the shop stewards and the union how to do it .I will say this rules are different in different zone's don't ask me why it should all be the same .But there have been lot's of times we get new guys who transfer in from other boro's and try to make a move that worked in there old district and the shop stewards knock it down by saying it's a another way of life here..
Let me ask you this lets say his garage is over every day for the next 3 weeks and send people out of town every day Does he have to stay on 12-8 for those 3 weeks while a jr guy get to stay days and possibly make the truck as well.
Don't get me wrong im not starting anything or cliaming to know it all I just find it interesting how things get done in other garages.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:06 PM

876 posts, read 1,263,332 times
Quote:
I'm not saying my way is right or your way is wrong .Im saying this is the way I was told from the shop stewards and the union how to do it .I will say this rules are different in different zone's don't ask me why it should all be the same .But there have been lot's of times we get new guys who transfer in from other boro's and try to make a move that worked in there old district and the shop stewards knock it down by saying it's a another way of life here..
Let me ask you this lets say his garage is over every day for the next 3 weeks and send people out of town every day Does he have to stay on 12-8 for those 3 weeks while a jr guy get to stay days and possibly make the truck as well.
Don't get me wrong im not starting anything or cliaming to know it all I just find it interesting how things get done in other garages.
You have a good point. Where I am I have never seen that happen but I can see how it can happen. Maybe I am wrong.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:12 PM

71 posts, read 84,293 times
Quote:
Unless both guys have the same chart week after week, wouldn't the senior guy get the day slot when the junior guy had a day off? And then wouldn't the junior guy have to return to his own district the day after his chart, giving the senior guy a chance at hours if it's available? It's a lot of rules for us new guys to learn and remember, so set me straight if I'm way off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City