Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2008, 11:53 PM

39 posts, read 121,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI5446 View Post
Hey,Mprus could you shed any light on the TOH hiring process,starting,salary,benefits etc. Thanks alot and best of luck with your appeal.

You kinda have to know some1 whose gonna push your application through Human Resources right away. If not, fill out the app and hope for the best, you dont always need a connect they do hire they cover ALOT of Nassau county so they have a lot of trucks going out each day. HR will call you after civil service approves you (could take upto a month.) They have you come in, pick up some papers and send you straight to the lab for drug test and then a regular physician who does everything else in one building which was nice. The medical was nothing compared to DSNY but u still gotta pass. After you do your medical, the doctors will give u tickets to take back to HR to show you went. Takes another week to get the results and then you get called tostart basically the next day. The salary is a little less then DSNYs but its comparable, I dont have all my papers wit the exact numbers in front of me. They only work 6am to wenever u finish Mon-Fri. No nights (unless theres an undone route and u want OT) or weekends there. A lot of OT. The probation is only 6 months and they do a CDL class every 3 months and you're expected to be in it. You need the same permit same endorsemeexcept tanker as the city requires to get otj. If you refuse to take your CDL (at least attempt the permit test) and they WILL know if you are or arent, you will be terminated. If you miss 5 days during probation you will be terminated. After your 6 months are up, you recieve your uniform, failure to report to work in uniform results in a 25 dollar each day fine. Each route is designed to take 5 hours but they can be done in less than three, obviously goin to dump is where you spend a lot of the time. Theres a lot more sh*t, if any1 wants to know something specific just ask and Ill let you know. We pick up like 13-14 tons a day garbage and average for recycling is 2 loads.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:39 AM

473 posts, read 931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
It seems like no one here knows the rules. When your last shift was nights you can not go out of town the next day. Sunday does not count because it is a premeire day. From what you wrote i get the impression you worked 12-8 on saturday if that is the case on monday you can not go out of town that is why the guy below you got the 6-2 shift and is going out of town.
You are correct that is exactly what i was told today.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:07 PM

163 posts, read 328,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAPES24 View Post
You are correct that is exactly what i was told today.
Sunday would count if your working your sunday (as long as your not 4 to 12) Because your there to see the board.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:24 PM

246 posts, read 593,212 times
Like I was saying yesterday things get done different in Queens then they are in the Bronx or the other Boro's .Don't ask me why it should all be the same in all boro's but it's not so it makes for confusion if you ask me .

Old 09-08-2008, 12:48 PM

123 posts, read 250,695 times
so how far in advance do you know your schedule? do you have to call in every day to see what shift you're working? at what point do you get a set schedule for the week?

Old 09-08-2008, 12:56 PM

62 posts, read 114,175 times
Worked Bronx1 did 20.3 tons in 2 Dumps. I have to get out of here LOL. 40 Miles each way driving sucks. Nice bunch of Guys. I am Chart Tomorrow so i can recoup i know i am going to be in PAIN Tomorrow any recommendations?

Old 09-08-2008, 01:42 PM

656 posts, read 1,412,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbobynot View Post
Worked Bronx1 did 20.3 tons in 2 Dumps. I have to get out of here LOL. 40 Miles each way driving sucks. Nice bunch of Guys. I am Chart Tomorrow so i can recoup i know i am going to be in PAIN Tomorrow any recommendations?

get ezpack qualified!!!!

Old 09-08-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochise View Post
so how far in advance do you know your schedule? do you have to call in every day to see what shift you're working? at what point do you get a set schedule for the week?
its hard to get a set schedule for the week unless you have high seniority in which case you know you will be making truck 5 days a week on 6-2. Another option is to be an instructor at FBF which is not available to you for another year and 5 months. One other way is to sign for nights. in either case you never know what can happen, they can change your shift on a daily basis you need to call for your orders!!! your schedule for the next working day is always set by 1:30 pm. If you are not in the garage that day you have to call for your orders. There is no other job like this, sorry.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:48 PM

108 posts, read 272,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbobynot View Post
worked bronx1 did 20.3 tons in 2 dumps. I have to get out of here lol. 40 miles each way driving sucks. Nice bunch of guys. I am chart tomorrow so i can recoup i know i am going to be in pain tomorrow any recommendations?
yeah i recommend you transfer out. Those guys are taking truck money out of other guy pockets from doing two trucks..a**holes

Old 09-08-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanman04 View Post
yeah i recommend you transfer out. Those guys are taking truck money out of other guy pockets from doing two trucks..a**holes
i used to work there...kinda hard not to dump when the dump is down the block...cutoff time for the dump is 1:20 for the dump and 1:30 to get back to the garage. Its really hard to stay out all day unless its a holiday week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City