Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2008, 01:41 PM

5 posts, read 9,348 times

Advertisements

can anyone tell me with the news that came out today about NYC budget cuts and me being on the list in the low 5ks means that i will less likley be called?

Old 11-05-2008, 02:07 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanitlist5k View Post
can anyone tell me with the news that came out today about NYC budget cuts and me being on the list in the low 5ks means that i will less likley be called?
5K,I sent an email to the DCAS Commissioner this morning asking a few questions,it says that it takes up to 10 days for a reply. I will let you know if she replies.

Anyway this is headed on a crash course collision to a lawsuit in about 3 yrs. My people(round 2)have to organize. Lets get a petition going to extend the #6063 list...freeze the next scheduled exam for 2011. Go visit your local Assemblyman,State Senator..they are supposed to be working for you

We are being backed into a corner and you can either choose to fight back or surrender....Doing nothing is NOT AN OPTION,NOT AN OPTION.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:25 PM

576 posts, read 1,547,458 times
I gotta agree with the guy above me because if they know there not going to hire over 5k people and the economy is so bad they havent even gotten passed 454 or whatevers number there upto they shouldnt charge someone 25 to take a physical when they havent event gotten past half the first round of physicals it just makes no sense to me!

Old 11-05-2008, 02:33 PM

473 posts, read 932,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kochise View Post
hey Grapes,
I live in jack. hts. and am curious as to what garage you work in and is it hard to get into and how do you like it there?
I work in QW3. That covers from 69th St. by the BQE up to 114 St. By the GCP then from Roosevelt to the Grand central which I beleive is Ditmars. As far as it being hard to get into I wouldn't know, there are a lot of senior guys, so I guess it all matters on retirees and transfers, etc. I love it there I have no complaints.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:27 PM

125 posts, read 266,373 times
just heard the news about bloombergs budget cuts, it doesn't look good for us round two guys. i was skeptical but hopeful before this economy went down the tubes but now i can see the writing on the wall. why are they making us come in for an agility test? at 20 bucks a head the city can't be making that much off us on this test, figure after they pay the rent on that location and pay all those DCAS employees then all the processing fees they're not making any money. i don't get why they called a second round for the physicals.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:55 PM

13 posts, read 27,543 times
I'm also a round 2er and also agree w/ vantastic. This just doesn't make any sense. Why have us go through the motion for nothing?!

Old 11-05-2008, 05:18 PM

335 posts, read 747,758 times
Well first of all, those who took the physical that is the 2nd part of the test. So saying that you went thru the motion for nothing isn't really true. All you really did was complete your test and ensure your spot on the list.

2nd, the list is out for 4 years. In feb of 2012 it will expire. Granted the longer it takes to move thru the list the less of an chance those with a higher list number have to make it but I really doubt if they will extend any list. The purpose of an list is to be able to pick people to fulfill "what the agency needs", not what the you need. There is no for sure lock that anyone is promised this job. Not even myself. All you can do is hope for the best.

For example in 2002 or 2003 they laid off around 500 sanitation workers. Within months they rehired most of them. And hired alot of new sanitation workers for that year. We have an award in the front office which commends us for rehiring 500 sanitation workers and hiring 1000 NEW sanitation workers in 2003. that is alot of sanitation workers for one year. And to get those 1000 sanitation workers I am sure that helped them move thru the list by like a few thousands ( so if they were in the 1000's when they started hiring new sanitation workers then after they got 1000 sanitation workers they were probably in the 3,000's or 4,000's in the list).

So maybe that will happen again. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Sometimes I feel bad and feel I will never be called and should start saving for the next test but I tell myself that with my list number (552) there is no way in the next 4 years that there won't be any more classes lol. Just hope.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:22 PM

125 posts, read 266,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon7280 View Post
Well first of all, those who took the physical that is the 2nd part of the test. So saying that you went thru the motion for nothing isn't really true. All you really did was complete your test and ensure your spot on the list.

2nd, the list is out for 4 years. In feb of 2012 it will expire. Granted the longer it takes to move thru the list the less of an chance those with a higher list number have to make it but I really doubt if they will extend any list. The purpose of an list is to be able to pick people to fulfill "what the agency needs", not what the you need. There is no for sure lock that anyone is promised this job. Not even myself. All you can do is hope for the best.

For example in 2002 or 2003 they laid off around 500 sanitation workers. Within months they rehired most of them. And hired alot of new sanitation workers for that year. We have an award in the front office which commends us for rehiring 500 sanitation workers and hiring 1000 NEW sanitation workers in 2003. that is alot of sanitation workers for one year. And to get those 1000 sanitation workers I am sure that helped them move thru the list by like a few thousands ( so if they were in the 1000's when they started hiring new sanitation workers then after they got 1000 sanitation workers they were probably in the 3,000's or 4,000's in the list).

So maybe that will happen again. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Sometimes I feel bad and feel I will never be called and should start saving for the next test but I tell myself that with my list number (552) there is no way in the next 4 years that there won't be any more classes lol. Just hope.
your list number is 552 and you think you won't get called? are you serious?

Old 11-05-2008, 07:24 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabesanitationguy View Post
your list number is 552 and you think you won't get called? are you serious?
That guy is AN idiot. He is the source of old news which has been recycled over and over again. Don't listen to him.

Was it DSNYSANMAN who said that there will be a 2 yr hiring freeze? Now I can see that happening.

What is the ****ing point of having another exam in 2011 if nobody is getting hired? ????

Lets first see what list# this ends at first. I know that they city doesn't owe us anything,it isn't about that man. We are getting screwed big time through no fault of our own. I speak for myself that I will have my day,my time will come.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:35 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
That guy is AN idiot. He is the source of old news which has been recycled over and over again. Don't listen to him.

Was it DSNYSANMAN who said that there will be a 2 yr hiring freeze? Now I can see that happening.

What is the ****ing point of having another exam in 2011 if nobody is getting hired? ????

Lets first see what list# this ends at first. I know that they city doesn't owe us anything,it isn't about that man. We are getting screwed big time through no fault of our own. I speak for myself that I will have my day,my time will come.
Well if there is a 2 year hiring freeze the list gets extended 2 years. Dont feel bad. A hiring freeze is good for you becuase it extends the life of the list and people who have a higher list number then you will be less likely to want to take the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City