Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2009, 08:56 AM

372 posts, read 830,116 times

Advertisements

hey epyon your HR right?? if they laid us new guys off and then agreed to make the pensions 25 years or 50 yrs old is it possible when we got rehired they can put us under that new rule or since were already nycers and have a pension number and already started contributing to our 20 year pension they cant do this??? any info would be greatly appreciated....

Old 02-01-2009, 12:20 PM

57 posts, read 158,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcals View Post
hey epyon your HR right?? if they laid us new guys off and then agreed to make the pensions 25 years or 50 yrs old is it possible when we got rehired they can put us under that new rule or since were already nycers and have a pension number and already started contributing to our 20 year pension they cant do this??? any info would be greatly appreciated....
I think when the mayor made that speeech he definately said ALL FUTURE HIRES. That it would NOT affect people already on the job, he said, they already have a contract

Old 02-01-2009, 12:45 PM

289 posts, read 746,090 times
Default Pension

Quote:
LISTEN BACK IN 1975 GUY'S ON THE JOB WERE ALL IN TIER 1 THEN THEY LAYED OFF 400 SANITATION WORKER'S WHEN THEY HIRED THE LAYED OFF PEOPLE BACK THEY WERE PUT IN THE TIER 2 ,IT DOES'NT MEAN THEY WILL DO THAT THIS TIME BUT THE CITY DOES WHAT THEY WANT TO DO ,GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:08 PM

372 posts, read 830,116 times
that really would hurt not cool..how long can you collect unemployment for??I wish the union would explain and tell us what might happen.. and not leave us in the dark

Old 02-01-2009, 01:26 PM

243 posts, read 681,969 times
it would be really nice to know what numbers their hiring this year so guys could know what do do instead of just waiting around and reading rumor after countless rumor.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:28 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad397 View Post
it would be really nice to know what numbers their hiring this year so guys could know what do do instead of just waiting around and reading rumor after countless rumor.
They are not hiring this year. Period even if there arent layoffs they wont be hiring. If there are layoffs they wont hire for at least another 3 years. Dont sit around waiting for this job.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:31 PM

156 posts, read 370,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbysgirl23 View Post
I think when the mayor made that speeech he definately said ALL FUTURE HIRES. That it would NOT affect people already on the job, he said, they already have a contract
yeah and we also have a contract that doesn't call for us to pay 10% of our health care costs, but Bloomberg wants to change that...now will the Union give in to that? or will the Union possibly allow layoffs to happen so they won't have to lose what they fought for?

either way, proposing something like paying 10% of health care costs would obviously be changing the current contract for people already OTJ (not saying the Union will accept it), so I'm guessing they can do whatever they want

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETIRED SANMAN View Post
LISTEN BACK IN 1975 GUY'S ON THE JOB WERE ALL IN TIER 1 THEN THEY LAYED OFF 400 SANITATION WORKER'S WHEN THEY HIRED THE LAYED OFF PEOPLE BACK THEY WERE PUT IN THE TIER 2 ,IT DOES'NT MEAN THEY WILL DO THAT THIS TIME BUT THE CITY DOES WHAT THEY WANT TO DO ,GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL.
see what I mean?

Quote:
that really would hurt not cool..how long can you collect unemployment for??I wish the union would explain and tell us what might happen.. and not leave us in the dark
exactly...most shop stewards are worthless, and the Union never tells you anything...like I've said before, it's almost like we're kept in the dark on purpose...you know how many junior guys in my garage, guys who could be affected by this, are almost completely oblivious to what's going on right now? layoffs, new pension tiers, paying 10% of health care costs, they have no clue...like FULLTRUCK said a while back in this thread, they're like robots, trained to come to work, take anything on the chin and not ask questions...not realizing they have a right to be informed...it's a joke...

imagine being asked to pay part of your health care costs AFTER getting on the job...not new hires, but guys already OTJ...or even worse, say the Union doesn't give in on paying 10% of health care costs, imagine possibly getting laid off and then being brought back under a new 25/50 pension tier for example...that would be the absolute worst-case scenario...I could understand getting laid off for a greater cause, to fight to keep what we already have, but then to lose our 20 year pension? the Union would be completely selling-out the most junior guys OTJ if they did that

Old 02-01-2009, 03:37 PM

16 posts, read 33,549 times
"the mayor will need help from all of our partners, from the municipal unions to the leadership in both the state and nation's capital. We all will have to do our part to get through these tough times."

The writings on the wall. All of a sudden, we're the mayors partners, its on our backs to make up for years of mismanagement. No mention of the money wasted on 2 new stadiums whose games we can longer afford to go to, the renaming of a goddam bridge, friggin waterfalls set up in a river??? And you're looking for concessions now, to bail you out? Welfare rolls in the state just got a 33% raise, a raise for doing nothing. We had to fight for 4%. Ask the welfare recipients to step up, we already do, every day. Heres my concession, you continue to pay me and give me the benefits in my contract, and I'll continue to come to work every day.

I feel the scariest part of all this is the fact that we have nobody on our side. We have a governor who was not elected, who put in a senator who was not elected, along with a mayor who feels we NEED him and bucked the voters decision of term limits. Mike, go above 96th street once in awhile, the outer boroughs are reverting back to the pre-guiliani days. The part that worries me is that they don't owe their allegiance to anybody because they were not elected in due process. And then comes the press, anybody otj already knows where I'm going with that. So basically it's up to us and our union, cause we have nobody else looking out for us.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:24 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83whine View Post
"the mayor will need help from all of our partners, from the municipal unions to the leadership in both the state and nation's capital. We all will have to do our part to get through these tough times."

The writings on the wall. All of a sudden, we're the mayors partners, its on our backs to make up for years of mismanagement. No mention of the money wasted on 2 new stadiums whose games we can longer afford to go to, the renaming of a goddam bridge, friggin waterfalls set up in a river??? And you're looking for concessions now, to bail you out? Welfare rolls in the state just got a 33% raise, a raise for doing nothing. We had to fight for 4%. Ask the welfare recipients to step up, we already do, every day. Heres my concession, you continue to pay me and give me the benefits in my contract, and I'll continue to come to work every day.

I feel the scariest part of all this is the fact that we have nobody on our side. We have a governor who was not elected, who put in a senator who was not elected, along with a mayor who feels we NEED him and bucked the voters decision of term limits. Mike, go above 96th street once in awhile, the outer boroughs are reverting back to the pre-guiliani days. The part that worries me is that they don't owe their allegiance to anybody because they were not elected in due process. And then comes the press, anybody otj already knows where I'm going with that. So basically it's up to us and our union, cause we have nobody else looking out for us.
No one will be on our side because we make so much money just for picking up garbage. But what no one mentions when you get this job is the toll it takes on your body. This job will take a lot out of you which is why we need not want a 20 year pension. The human body is meant to pick up and throw 10 tons of garbage a day which is what many of us do. I dont know how it is in your district but in mine many of the senior men are broken down. We provide am important service for the people of nyc.
What we need to stop doing is bragging about how we won the lottery and how great this job is because when the public hears that they dont realize what we put into this job. We also need to stick together because united we stand and divided we will fall.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:25 PM

335 posts, read 747,780 times
Sometimes I have wonder if a strike would show how important Sanitation workers are.

We provide alot that many people don't realize.

Beside picking up garbage we maintain public health.

"In 1929 when the Department was given its current name (from its inception in 1881 it was called The Department of Street Cleaning) its ties to the Health Department and health issues were evident. The original logo's focal point is the traditional medical symbol, the caduceus, to promote the idea that sanitation can affect the health of the City. The wings, staff and wand were incorporated because the work force, under the commissioner of the time, was called the White Wings and wore white uniforms."

When the snow storms hit who is there to clean up the streets. Saniation workers are.

Sometimes I feel Sanitation workers should get paid more.

San men work alot more than NYPD and probably more than FDNY. Yeah maybe NYPD cops have to run into rough situations and FDNY firemen have to run into fires which is pretty cool and I have mad respect for those guys. But honestly there are cops that never see actions for months or years, maybe just posted in an train station where nothing really happens.... Sure there are firemen that really all they do and run to a building only to realize a smoke detector just went off but beside that months go by before there is an real fire to put out. But Sanitation workers are always going to have garbage to pick up and are always going to pick up tons of garbage a day. Its not like one day an sanitation worker is going to be like " oh there is no garbage on my route today let me just drive around on the truck weeeeee". An sanitation worker can get AIDS because some idiot put his needle in the garbage can and one of the san men pick up the can and the needle gets stuck on him. San Wrk are hit by cars too. San wrks have to smell like garbage. San wrks have to have an CDL licence and drive an massive truck around in the city and around corners and by people that love to run in front of the truck that force them to hit the brakes.

A cop gets shot and its on the front page. A fireman gets hurt/dies in a fire and its on the first page. A San Wrk gets hurt/dies by getting hit by a car awhile on duty then it on the 23rd page.

Hell even when it comes to chicks! lol

Girls love firemen, Girls love Police men, But I dont see too many girls running saying "oh my bf is a Sanitation worker" or " Hey I love uniform guys, I want a sanitation worker!! " lol

whatever... hopefully in time people will see how important San Wrk really are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City