Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2008, 02:40 PM

74 posts, read 280,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage time View Post
pensions are great until inflation catches up with you.

say you retired at 42 in 1987 with a good pension.now its 2008,your 62 and that salary is ****.look how much gas,heating oil,food,houses ,whatever rises...the longer you live the less you have.check out how much the dsny salary has changed over the past 10 years or so.you retire frm dsny but not from working..hello home depot haha
with your pension and 457 and making the rite moves now you wont have to work.if you do have to work for home depot lol your better off just staying with the sanitation and building up your pension.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:43 PM

11 posts, read 40,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrus View Post
I guess in a way it helps my chances out with the background because February 28th my records will be sealed, if they were to do the background check before then they'd see I was in possession of some nasty drugs. I try to look for the silver lining in the black clouds.
I got called in to take a survey for the MTA bus operator a guy name MR williams who does the hireing said the city looks at everything even sealed records HE said the only sealed record you don't have to put down is if it was a YO case BUT even that the MTA is city also the DSNY might do things different.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:46 PM

11 posts, read 40,307 times
hey wreckerman12 whats the best garage to work in

Old 01-10-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBoy View Post
Thanks for the response. That's good to know. Would you also happen to know if your pension would "pass off" to your wife if you "kick the bucket" before she does?

yes there is different plans you can take when your retire. i dont know how much of a difference the plans are but lets just say your pension is 3600 a month you can keep that but when you pass away your wife doesnt get anything or theyll be a plan where youll take home lets say 2800 instead of 3600 a month but if you pass away your wife gets your pension.if you take that plan and your wife happens to pass away first than it would go back up to 3600 a month after she passes away.i dont know the numbers but theyll explain everything to you when your ready to retire.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:09 PM

162 posts, read 575,234 times
So you just have to take the general knowledge component over again or do you have to take the tank test & air brakes test over again as well?

BTW, what's the DOT exam and who administers that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
I took the written CDL test today, easily passed the tank and air brakes,failed the general knowledge(14 wrong)should have given myself more time to go over the answers,was distracted by the clerks in the front talking loud,going back next week to hopefully pass it. Some lady got 25 wrong,more people failed than passed from what I overheard.

I also took the DOT exam,passed and got my certificate,gave a urine sample,took an eye test,was over in 10 minutes,the hernia test was probably the worst part,had to drop your pants and boxers,the doc felt down there while he asked you to cough. He made me touch my toes while standing,asked me to squat. Took my blood pressure,temp. I think the DSNY medical will be longer,we shall see.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:10 PM

Got it, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckerman12 View Post
yes there is different plans you can take when your retire. i dont know how much of a difference the plans are but lets just say your pension is 3600 a month you can keep that but when you pass away your wife doesnt get anything or theyll be a plan where youll take home lets say 2800 instead of 3600 a month but if you pass away your wife gets your pension.if you take that plan and your wife happens to pass away first than it would go back up to 3600 a month after she passes away.i dont know the numbers but theyll explain everything to you when your ready to retire.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:12 PM

Thanks buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekuai View Post

post back on what they told you, i called b4 new years and they told me they are not having classes till FEB.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:18 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,186 times
Yeah JackieBoy,I have to take it again(general knowledge only)next week,they don't tell you which ones you got wrong,they just give you a slip,you don't have to pay again for the test(it was $10.00 for all 3 tests.

About the DOT Exam go here: The DOT Medical Exam and CMV Certification - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBoy View Post
So you just have to take the general knowledge component over again or do you have to take the tank test & air brakes test over again as well?

BTW, what's the DOT exam and who administers that?

Old 01-10-2008, 05:16 PM

39 posts, read 121,781 times
vantastic, i told you the general knowledge is the hardest. You'll pass the second time most ppl that are seriously studying for it pass the second time, I did I still got 9 wrong the second time but I passed it so who cares.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08 View Post
hey wreckerman12 whats the best garage to work in
from what i hear bk11,bk6, and bk10 are all good garages probably all the staten island garages are good too. i dont know about the other boroughs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City