Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2008, 09:51 PM

289 posts, read 746,056 times

Advertisements

THE BEST TO YOU ALL BE SAFE OUT THERE,DON'T RUSH THE LIFE YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR'S OR YOUR PARTNER'S. I HAVE SAID IT BEFORE JOIN THE DEFERRED COMP 457 PLAN .ALSO GET TO WORK ON TIME AND SHOW UP FOR YOUR SHIFT THE CITY DOESN'T CARE, THEY WILL FIRE YOU AND CALL THE NEXT PERSON ON THE LIST.IF YOU DO DRUG'S YOUR LUCKY YOU GOT THIS FAR ,STOP THE DRUG'S AND HEAVY DRINKING'YOU KNOW THE SAYING IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE A PROBLEM YOU DO "IT'S NOT WORTH IT ,IN TIME THEY WILL CATCH YOU,I SAW MANY PEOPLE GET THEMSELF'S FIRED. YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE SOME BAD DAY'S STICK IT OUT IT DOES GET BETTER .AGAIN THE VERY BEST TO YOU ALL ,20 YEAR'S WILL FLY BY BELIEVE ME.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:28 AM

22 posts, read 40,672 times
So what do I need for day 1? Just the nycers forms and an idea of what medical plan you want to pick?

Old 08-10-2008, 06:50 AM

876 posts, read 2,142,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideThe Step View Post
I heard there is suppposed to be one more sanworker class and one supervisor class before nite plow. Which is sanitation lingo for early November. For the new sanworkers who might currently be carpooling, after your first 30 days are up chances are you will be bouncing shifts and going out of town alot. You may not be able to stick together with each other, so keep that in mind and make arrangements for that possiblility NOW. Good luck.
Can someone tell me is any district in nyc is under? Mine is over almost everyday.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:57 AM

876 posts, read 2,142,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCsanman View Post
I, personally would love a scandal to be known by gerneral society that 70 % of Sanitation play with their b**ls after 9 -10 -11 in the morning. I stay out till after 1.. I truly work like a gentleman... you newer guys .. please... please dont comment because you dont even know the concept.
I am happy they are taking off the steps from the trucks. I am hoping that this will eventually slow everyone down a little.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:38 AM

656 posts, read 1,412,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCsanman View Post
I, personally would love a scandal to be known by gerneral society that 70 % of Sanitation play with their b**ls after 9 -10 -11 in the morning. I stay out till after 1.. I truly work like a gentleman... you newer guys .. please... please dont comment because you dont even know the concept.
what garage are you in? and does the whole garage do the same thing or are you and your partner a rebel?

Old 08-10-2008, 07:41 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
I am happy they are taking off the steps from the trucks. I am hoping that this will eventually slow everyone down a little.
"Sanitation workers who ride on the back of the truck in between stops drive Harry Nespoli crazy. “Riding the step” is not illegal, but it’s very dangerous. “I’m tired of going to the hospitals and seeing young kids with cracked heads; with broken arms; with crushed legs,” from falling off the back step, Nespoli says. He has tried for years to get the department to burn that step off the trucks. “The answer from management [against] cutting down the steps was, ‘Will that slow the men down from finishing the route?’ And I just turned around and said, ‘I’m not even looking at that. I’m looking at the man in the hospital.”

Old 08-10-2008, 07:45 AM

193 posts, read 393,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
If everyone just walked from stop to stop because of no step they would not be able to finish on time and lines would be left. I walk when i get baskets and you can't finish in the time they give you, my garage dosen't expect you to finish baskets (formans) they know it is more then you can do they just want to see you do a good job on what you can and take your brakes when you are suppose to for the time you are suppose to.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:12 AM

131 posts, read 245,086 times
Alright I am not on the job but what I am seeing here is that there tends to be 2 schools of thought.

a. Finish as fast as possible and go back to the garage to do nothing.
b. Pace yourself take your time(work like a gentlemen).

I think a. is definately the most enticing but the most sesceptable to trouble. If you are sitting around the house sleeping there is more likelyhood of somebody busting your b***s and changing things around so that will no longer be possible. The city doesnt understand because they dont have to break their asses doing the work. I think SanMen should be entitled to sit around and do nothing for half of the day given the job that they do. However common sense would tell you that b. is the safe bet. And that goes for any job. Slow down pace yourself. Look busy and everyone is happy. I am in a television union and it is pretty much the same. Now there arent the repercussions of finishing early that SanMen have, but management does look down upon people that are sitting around doing nothing. Maybe one day they will try to squeeze two jobs into one. If I am too busy to do two jobs for the price of one it will never happen. Everybody needs to do the right thing for the union and their union brothers even if it isnt the easy way out. Food for thought.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:31 AM

142 posts, read 267,838 times
Good Luck Everyone Starting Tomorrow... I hope to see you guys on the job soon.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:58 AM

148 posts, read 268,400 times
hey guys, well tomorrow is the first day of a great career. Whoever is on this this post we all should meet up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City