Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2008, 01:22 PM

576 posts, read 1,547,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabesanitationguy View Post
are you talking about the agility test or are you talking about the medical exams? could you rephrase the question?
I was talking about the physical exam the one they charge 20 dollars for.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:31 PM

576 posts, read 1,547,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbysgirl23 View Post
I understand your frustration, but is it possible that retaking the test & hoping for a better list number the 2nd time around is a better option for some with high list numbers from the 6063 test ?

The way this list seems to be moving, it's already almost 2009 & they haven't even reached 500 on the list yet. Even if they hire 1000 people in 2009 (which seems unlikely with the budget crisis,) they would STILL not be up to 2,000 by 2010.
yes it is im just hoping i get called within the next 2 years i actually quit union job when i got my list number i didnt realize how long itd take to get called ! now im working a Bootleg job! which sucks lol im gonna try to get my cdl soon (i have cdl permit with air brakes passenger and tank) just try to get A cdl b job until dsny hopefully comes along it does expire 2012 !

Old 11-06-2008, 03:31 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,592 times
Default Rolling the dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemsone View Post
yes it is im just hoping i get called within the next 2 years i actually quit union job when i got my list number i didnt realize how long itd take to get called ! now im working a Bootleg job! which sucks lol im gonna try to get my cdl soon (i have cdl permit with air brakes passenger and tank) just try to get A cdl b job until dsny hopefully comes along it does expire 2012 !
What Bobbysgirl23 wrote I thought about as well. But you have to figure a much larger eligibles list from the next exam(2011). Sure I am confident that I can improve my score,you need to get no more then 4 wrong+residency credit to get into the 1st round(100.00).

An example from somebody who took the last 2 tests is DOTXXX,he was #10,XXX in the 2003 exam,and for this exam he was #4XXX. I still believe that everybody in round 1 will get the call.

Meemsone:That sucks that you quit your job expecting to be called from DSNY. Get your CDL now,that way you will have one less thing to worry about later on.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon7280 View Post
Make sure when that day comes I am no where around just in case you go violent lol
LOL,I admit to being a little crazy,but I am the silent non violent crazy type. If I do ever meet you OTJ i will apologize to you because you will have way more seniority than me.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:46 PM

Default And you believe them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabesanitationguy View Post
i just got back from the sanitation worker physical. it was really easy, they give you more than enough time to finish. after the physical test i went to sign out in the locker room, the DCAS guy who was sitting there told me to be "looking out for the forms in the mail" to begin the medical testing he said they should be coming in January or February. i spoke with my examiner after i took the test and asked if any of us (round 2 ppl) had a chance of actually getting a call, and he said absolutly otherwise they wouldn't be giving the physical he mentioned some statistics and said that we have a great chance at gettin on and that the city will find the money for sanitation its an essential city service, also round 2 will have larger gaps then round 1, the higher the list number the less ppl show up. another DCAS employee said that on the last exam they had guys getting on the job with list numbers in the early 9000's
They are telling you what you want to hear Mark. They last list number to be reached from the 2003 exam was #8259. That is a fact,not a guesstimate.

All of the OTJ guys see a different picture,they should know what is going on. I even believe that if they didn't hire anymore until this list expires that the dept would still be running with no shortages of workers.

When I took the physical last week I asked when of the DCAS workers there,why where they giving round 2 of the physical if the list barely moved? he just mumbled,couldn't even give me a straight answer...so I told him that they only reached #484..and he asks me how did I know that?

Email the DCAS Commissioner,I did yesterday,you can remain anonymous if you want.

Message to the Commissioner, Department of Citywide Administrative Services

Old 11-06-2008, 10:25 PM

12 posts, read 24,944 times
I'm taking the physical examination in about 10 hours from the time of this post. Having read a few pages on this forum, with a list number of 6355, I doubt I'll be getting called up on the current list. Makes me very sad indeed. I guess I'll have to retake the exam in '11 or '12. If you need to wonder why they keep administering these agility physicals even though the list is barely moving, do the math. Twenty bucks per person keeps members of the DCAS in business, justifying their jobs. The city isn't paying a dime for these physicals, the applicants are. At 31 years old, my life has hit rock bottom. I had so much hope when I received my notice in the mail for the agility physical. These forums have shattered my hope.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:30 PM

231 posts, read 466,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanman77 View Post
I'm taking the physical examination in about 10 hours from the time of this post. Having read a few pages on this forum, with a list number of 6355, I doubt I'll be getting called up on the current list. Makes me very sad indeed. I guess I'll have to retake the exam in '11 or '12. If you need to wonder why they keep administering these agility physicals even though the list is barely moving, do the math. Twenty bucks per person keeps members of the DCAS in business, justifying their jobs. The city isn't paying a dime for these physicals, the applicants are. At 31 years old, my life has hit rock bottom. I had so much hope when I received my notice in the mail for the agility physical. These forums have shattered my hope.
These forums aren't here for you to give up hope. People's situations change and the economy will change for the better. These forums just give real answers unlike you will get calling up. I have no idea what number this list will get to. No one does. All we can say is where it is and that you shouldnt quit your job or plan on quitting it for at least a year. I wouldnt give up hope. 4 years is a long time. Things change.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJU2000 View Post
These forums aren't here for you to give up hope. People's situations change and the economy will change for the better. These forums just give real answers unlike you will get calling up. I have no idea what number this list will get to. No one does. All we can say is where it is and that you shouldnt quit your job or plan on quitting it for at least a year. I wouldnt give up hope. 4 years is a long time. Things change.
My initial thoughts on receiving a date for a physical went along the lines of, 'They wouldn't be asking me to take a physical unless my number (#6355) was close to being called'. Which was why I was shocked to read here that after a year and a half, they had only called the first 500 numbers in for orientation.

Believe me, I was never foolish enough to give up my other plans. The process seems a bit misleading. Still, I would rather know the truth of the situation, and for that, I am grateful and thank this forum for that.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:42 AM

Also, going back around 3 weeks or so on this thread, I noticed RETIRED SANMAN is amazingly optimistic. Always tells people they will get called in big CAP LETTERS. His posts make me feel better.

RETIRED SANMAN...this question's for you...what do you think is a realistic list number cutoff? Meaning, how far do you think they will get if you had to guess?

Old 11-07-2008, 02:10 AM

22 posts, read 49,440 times
anyboby know what list number they are up to for the physical i recently moved last week and they just recieved my change of address yesterday. pleeeeeease and thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City